Les Schwab
...refused to sell me tires today.
The guy came out, looked at every tire and said I have quite a bit of wear left, even with several trips to California and back.

I'm not sure what anyone else's reaction would be, but Les Schwab just made a customer out of me!
(06-14-2012, 05:28 PM)Clone Wrote: ...refused to sell me tires today.
The guy came out, looked at every tire and said I have quite a bit of wear left, even with several trips to California and back.

I'm not sure what anyone else's reaction would be, but Les Schwab just made a customer out of me!

Bill's Valley tire did the same exact thing when my brother went their. He is at Food for less on Biddle rd.. A one man shop who has been there for 30 years.
Also He charges less for the same thing.
With schwab you roll the dice on who will work on your car. I have rolled craps their too often and hear too many complaints to ever go there again.
The last time I went with an ATV wheel and tire just because they were close . They over charged me and when I got home it was almost flat so I had to go back because some kid they let work on it F***ed it up.
As long as we're on the subject I recommend staying away from Bill's glass.
(06-14-2012, 05:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:28 PM)Clone Wrote: ...refused to sell me tires today.

Bill's Valley tire did the same exact thing when my brother went their. He is at Food for less on Biddle rd.. A one man shop who has been there for 30 years.
Also He charges less for the same thing.
With schwab you roll the dice on who will work on your car. I have rolled craps their too often and hear too many complaints to ever go there again.
The last time I went with an ATV wheel and tire just because they were close . They over charged me and when I got home it was almost flat so I had to go back because some kid they let work on it F***ed it up.

I'm on Clone's side on this one.
I've been a customer at Schawb's for years. Sure, there is always the possibility of getting bad service. I'd bet that if one would bring it to the attention of a manager, it would be addressed.

Having said this, I'd not like to see this forum turn into a spot for commercial plugs. I think Clone's remark was above the usual plug, and since I agree I'm bumping it.

As far as TVg's comments: Hey, you fall on your head as many times as he, and just see what kind of trash you might write here. He once thought about planting an acre of hair because he knew a girl in Sam's Valley that had just a little patch and made a ton of money one year. But, he is as honest as the day is long. No comments about living in Nome in December.

PS: And Clone, in the hollow where we grew up, they ain't tires, they are "tyres".
(06-14-2012, 06:00 PM)Wonky Wrote: PS: And Clone, in the hollow where we grew up, they ain't tires, they are "tyres".

Ha! I don't know what holler you growed up in, back in our holler them were called 'tars'. Laughing

I choose Les Swab because we're old farts and those Les Swab trucks are all over the place. Between AAA and Les Swab I feel confident about our 'tars'.
Anyone can use a quarter or a penny to check their own tire depth, too - as long as you can't see any space above the "head", you've got enough. Check in the thinnest spot:
[Image: penny-and-quarter-tread-depth-tests1.jpg]

p.s. Clone has seen me wear my own tires lower than this. Smiling
(06-14-2012, 06:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Anyone can use a quarter or a penny to check their own tire depth, too - as long as you can't see any space above the "head", you've got enough. Check in the thinnest spot:
[Image: penny-and-quarter-tread-depth-tests1.jpg]

p.s. Clone has seen me wear my own tires lower than this. Smiling

True dat! You let them get down pretty bald.

I did notice today that the better tread is on the front, with front wheel drive this is good.

I like knowing I have good tires on my car when I'm passing an 18 wheeler at 80 on a curve, ya know? Cool Happy
You better be careful Ponder. If you end up hurting a certain dog in some sort of blow-out accident... you're going to have to deal with Clone! Twitch Wink Big Grin
It's hard to blow those 10 ply rated tires I run on my pickup.
My rule is: as long as you don't see the air inside the tire.

Also I agree with TV on "bill's glass", I would never get my tires there.
(06-14-2012, 05:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: As long as we're on the subject I recommend staying away from Bill's glass.

TOTALLY!
He was a horses ass years ago. I've had good luck with a mobile glass guy out of Shady Cove, I think he goes by "Arnie's", if he's still in business.
(06-14-2012, 06:22 PM)Scrapper Wrote: You better be careful Ponder. If you end up hurting a certain dog in some sort of blow-out accident... you're going to have to deal with Clone! Twitch Wink Big Grin

Got that right! Laughing

That durn dog is smart enough to figure out that by ignoring me, he inspires me to attempt to bribe him with more treats!

I'm hopelessly in love and he uses it to his advantage. Shameful cur that he is. Laughing
We're eating peanuts together as you speak. Smiling One at a time.
(06-14-2012, 07:44 PM)PonderThis Wrote: We're eating peanuts together as you speak. Smiling One at a time.

Show off!
I've told you he'd pay as much attention to you for buttered popcorn tossed one kernal at a time as any of the treats you tempt him with. It's the attention of being hand fed treats that gets him going, not what it actually is. Smiling
But I buy him Cesar Treats softies filet mignon flavor because he likes them BETTER than popcorn...besides, they're easier to carry in my pocket.
That dog turns me into a helpless begger for his affection...and I let him.
We have a strange and wonderful relationship. I'm strange and he's wonderful. Big Grin
(06-14-2012, 07:34 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: As long as we're on the subject I recommend staying away from Bill's glass.

TOTALLY!
Why?
(06-14-2012, 09:19 PM)Larry Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 07:34 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

TOTALLY!
Why?

Good question. We should probably explain our comments that are negative. Doubt it is the same Bill Glass that played in the NFL in the '60, then christian-uped for Billy Graham and started his own prayer thing.
Well, for one thing his prices at least used to be about twice as high as anyplace else. And for another, his attitude sucks. That said, I haven't been in there for 15 or 20 years now, but he's been around forever.