Pharmaceutical Industry vs. Cannabis
(06-16-2012, 06:34 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 06:26 PM)broadzilla Wrote: They don't give you a green card for depression.

And you know this, for sure, because.......
Honest question...I just assumed it would be.

Checked into it for a family member with depression issues.

The current conditions that qualify a patient
for medical marijuana in Oregon are:
· Alzheimer’s agitation
· Cancer
· Glaucoma
· HIV/AIDS
· Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
· Severe pain
· Severe nausea
· Seizures (not limited to epilepsy)
· Persistent muscle spasms
(not limited to multiple sclerosis)

But people can get doctors to lie (and do all the time) to get the green card...several doctors in Ashland are known for this...hand them $250 and they will make sure you get approved for a card.

Might as well just hand them out on a street corner.
(06-16-2012, 07:00 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 06:26 PM)broadzilla Wrote: They don't give you a green card for depression.

· Alzheimer’s agitation
· Cancer
· Glaucoma
· HIV/AIDS
· Severe pain
· Severe nausea

But people can get doctors to lie (and do all the time) to get the green card...several doctors in Ashland are known for this...hand them $250 and they will make sure you get approved for a card.

Thanks, BZ..I was going to look it up.
Geeeze...it costs $100 to file for the card; if you go black market MD it's $250.
Not a cheap proposition.
Why can't you just buy a little at a time from friends or grow a couple of plants in the yard? What am I missing here? It's hard to believe you can't acquire what little you might need without worry of arrest.
(06-16-2012, 10:32 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Why can't you just buy a little at a time from friends or grow a couple of plants in the yard? What am I missing here? It's hard to believe you can't acquire what little you might need without worry of arrest.

True.
That's a good way to start, I suppose.
But at some point, it's good to have a green card and have a professional grow it for you.
Not to mention, once you have a card growers will give it to you free. Patients typically receive 1-2 ounces a month from growers, and there's more ads on Craigslist right now from growers looking for patients than there are patients looking for growers.
(06-16-2012, 07:00 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

· Alzheimer’s agitation
· Cancer
· Glaucoma
· HIV/AIDS
· Severe pain
· Severe nausea

BZ, those are indeed the qualifying medical conditions the OMMP uses to determine whether to issue a card. However, there is a push to expand the qualifying conditions further both by advocates in the medical community and by potential patients. The rub is that patients with PTSD, Depression, Chronic insomnia, Anxiety disorder and other conditions that are benefited by medical cannabis cant get the card for it. So they are the ones lying not the doctors. The doctors cant just make up shit.

When people point to the fact that the vast majority of card holders get the card for pain they are right. The insinuation is that they don't really have pain which is difficult to diagnose and just want to get high. Although there is some truth in that, it is not so clean cut. Prospective patients use a qualifying condition that gets them the card, but many of them really are benefited by the cannabis. To damn bad that the patients cant be totally honest. The fact remains that medical cannabis helps them. The real issue for many Americans with a puritanical streak is that they know the patients like the side affects of cannabis which is euphoria. Everyone knows the medicine you take should have very dangerous side affects. America's pharmaceutical companies believe we should all be OK with that and most of us are.

Here is some info from the State of Oregon medical marijuana program website.

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program Statistics

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program

Statistics

Oregon Medical Marijuana Program data as of April 1, 2012.
These data will be updated and posted on this website every quarter.
Next update: July 1, 2012.

Please note, in a few instances, to protect the confidentiality of patients, the response given is "< 50." This practice is consistent with DHS policy and HIPAA requirements.

OMMP Statistics as of 4/1/12

Number of OMMP patients 55,807
Number of current OMMP caregivers 28,214
Number of Oregon-licensed physicians with current OMMP patients (MDs and DOs only) 2,100

Number of applications denied April 1, 2011 through March 31, 2012

Conditions*

*A patient may have more than one diagnosed qualifying medical condition.
Agitation related to Alzheimer's disease 61
Cachexia 1,097
Cancer 2,056
Glaucoma 832
HIV+/AIDS 731
Nausea 7,856
Severe Pain 52,597
Seizures, including but not limited to epilepsy 1,354
Persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those caused by Multiple Sclerosis 14,671

Number of patient registrants per county (Oregon only)

Baker 210
Benton 740
Clackamas 3,977
Clatsop 574
Columbia 937
Coos 1,674
Crook 274
Curry 711
Deschutes 2,706
Douglas 2,284
Grant 87
Harney 80
Hood River 312
Jackson 6,760
Jefferson 259
Josephine 4,095
Klamath 1,055
Lake 115
Lane 5,862
Lincoln 838
Linn 1,442
Malheur 380
Marion 2,702
Morrow 65
Multnomah 9,480
Polk 708
Tillamook 450
Umatilla 531
Union 295
Wallowa 94
Wasco 430
Washington 4,056
Yamhill 935

Combined total patient cardholder count for:
Gilliam, Sherman, and Wheeler Counties*

*Note: To protect the confidentiality of patients, the responses for these counties have been combined. This practice is consistent with DHS policy and HIPAA requirements. 74
(06-15-2012, 09:37 PM)Clone Wrote: "If (Marijuana) were unknown, and bio-prospectors were suddenly to find it in some remote mountain crevice, it's discovery would no doubt be hailed as a medical breakthrough. Scientists would praise it's potential for treating everything from pain to cancer and marvel at it's rich pharmacopoeia; many of whose chemicals mimic vital molecules in the human body." - The Economist

Ha !! It would be smoked just like it is today for its "high" just like khat is chewed.. silly, this notion of trying to legitimize dope in health terms, an illegitimate drug to facilitate your desire to "get high". Just keep buying it underground.

This is so dishonest... What's wrong with admitting you want it legalized so you can get high?
(06-17-2012, 06:29 AM)hillclimber Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 09:37 PM)Clone Wrote: "If (Marijuana) were unknown, and bio-prospectors were suddenly to find it in some remote mountain crevice, it's discovery would no doubt be hailed as a medical breakthrough. Scientists would praise it's potential for treating everything from pain to cancer and marvel at it's rich pharmacopoeia; many of whose chemicals mimic vital molecules in the human body." - The Economist

Ha !! It would be smoked just like it is today for its "high" just like khat is chewed.. silly, this notion of trying to legitimize dope in health terms, an illegitimate drug to facilitate your desire to "get high". Just keep buying it underground.

This is so dishonest... What's wrong with admitting you want it legalized so you can get high?
As soon as you admit that you are an old style prohibitionist that wants to control what other people do even when it does not affect you.

Pssstt... FYI... Your ignorance is rearing its ugly LITTLE-minded head!
(06-17-2012, 06:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

As soon as you admit that you are an old style prohibitionist that wants to control what other people do even when it does not affect you.
Are you sure about that? You make claims not established in fact.. Prohibition bans substances that were legal.. Pot isn't.. You are trying to legalize a known destructive substance that can keep kids in their parents basements for life. Short life.

I want to protect my family's future, by not legalizing drugs guaranteed to stunt their futures.. I want them to grow old luxuriating in the fresh imaginations, the accomplished goals, and the lifestyle, only a clear mind can produce.
(06-17-2012, 06:44 AM)hillclimber Wrote:

Are you sure about that? You make claims not established in fact.. Prohibition bans substances that were legal.. Pot isn't.. You are trying to legalize a known destructive substance that can keep kids in their parents basements for life. Short life.

I want to protect my family's future, by not legalizing drugs guaranteed to stunt their futures.. I want them to grow old luxuriating in the fresh imaginations, the accomplished goals, and the lifestyle, only a clear mind can produce.

Then you should teach YOUR CHILDREN that. Leave other people alone!
(06-17-2012, 06:46 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

My vision is a proper one for this society, your's is destructive.
(06-17-2012, 06:48 AM)hillclimber Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 06:46 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 06:29 AM)hillclimber Wrote: Ha !! It would be smoked just like it is today for its "high" just like khat is chewed.. silly, this notion of trying to legitimize dope in health terms, an illegitimate drug to facilitate your desire to "get high". Just keep buying it underground.

My vision is a proper one for this society, your's is destructive.

That's one of the problems with you bat-shit crazy right wing fanatics... you think way too highly of yourselves! :wacko:

Live your life... raise your kids... brainwash them to your heart's content.
But don't try to tell me what to do or how to do it!
(06-17-2012, 06:48 AM)hillclimber Wrote: My vision is a proper one for this society, your's is destructive.

And, that's my beef with you and your ilk. It's this attitude exactly. "We know what's best for everybody, so now we'll pass laws that enforce our visions upon everybody." You're never content to follow your own visions just for you. Your vision must become everyone's vision. Who are you to say what is "proper" for everyone?
I say your vision is for breeding conformist sheep to be exploited, and my vision is for people to think for themselves however they would like. The world will be changed by people with my vision. People with your vision will be exploited and live increasingly worse lives until they extinguish life on earth.
(06-17-2012, 07:03 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 06:48 AM)hillclimber Wrote: My vision is a proper one for this society, your's is destructive.

And, that's my beef with you and your ilk. It's this attitude exactly. "We know what's best for everybody, so now we'll pass laws that enforce our visions upon everybody." You're never content to follow your own visions just for you. Your vision must become everyone's vision. Who are you to say what is "proper" for everyone?
And so... the battle...
(06-17-2012, 07:06 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I say your vision is for breeding conformist sheep to be exploited, and my vision is for people to think for themselves however they would like. The world will be changed by people with my vision. People with your vision will be exploited and live increasingly worse lives until they extinguish life on earth.

So very true!
(06-17-2012, 07:06 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I say your vision is for breeding conformist sheep to be exploited, and my vision is for people to think for themselves however they would like.

What is it about society that gives you so little satisfaction? Why must you promote evil things? Is it to make society in your likeness? Perhaps to make society accept the darker side of you, so you can feel more accepted? or acceptable?

And why do you feel the need to drag my family down with your "tolerant" ideas about murdering the unborn or legalizing terrible drugs, or normalizing homosexual, and later other disgusting deviancy.
(06-17-2012, 07:09 AM)hillclimber Wrote:
(06-17-2012, 07:06 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I say your vision is for breeding conformist sheep to be exploited, and my vision is for people to think for themselves however they would like.

What is it about society that gives you so little satisfaction?

You are wrong. Bringing about societal change brings me great satisfaction. And all it takes is a little of letting people think for themselves, versus being controlled. We couldn't get this message out before, without the internet. Now, we can. Controlling people will no longer work, I don't believe. Smiling