Grow 100 Pounds of Potatoes In a Barrel?
Tub O' Spuds?
Potato barrels aren't sold outside England yet, but my guess is they soon will be. As you'll see in the following slides, the world's largest online retailer is now in the game, while gardeners are >>making their own<< DIY potato barrels, But let's begin with this beauty on the left, sold by UK retailer Primrose -- it's made of wood, assembles in minutes, and holds up to 4 plants.

[Image: potato-barrel-300.jpg]

http://www.questionandplanter.com/2012/0...-a-barrel/
Growing potatoes in stacks of old tires does the same thing. Smiling
(06-27-2012, 11:16 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Growing potatoes in stacks of old tires does the same thing. Smiling

I find the barrel concept more aesthetically pleasing Wink
I'm always a bit startled by those decorative fences made by half tires painted shocking white. Cool
I'm going to try that.
(06-27-2012, 11:19 AM)Steve Pickering Wrote: I'm going to try that.

For those people such as myself who live in a small area, it sounds like a bit of adventure. I think I'm going to do it too. Yukon Golds?
I don't think Yukons or any spring potatoes will work with mounding up the stem. I know Russets will and there are others. The picture is misleading.
(06-27-2012, 11:16 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Growing potatoes in stacks of old tires does the same thing. Smiling

You can also do it with a piece of flexible fencing, hog ringed into a cylinder. You can wrap the wire barrel with black plastic to increase the warmth.
I always wondered if the tires would contribute some toxicity to the soil.
Inquiring Irishmen want to know.
(06-27-2012, 11:33 AM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: I don't think Yukons or any spring potatoes will work with mounding up the stem. I know Russets will and there are others. The picture is misleading.

The wire fencing method is better, all you do is open it up and the potatoes and the dirt are loosed together. Russets are the best for this method.
After nuclear war, simply toss off the top tire (& radiated soil with it) and you're good to go again. Smiling
(06-27-2012, 11:41 AM)DUNNO Wrote: The wire fencing method is better, all you do is open it up and the potatoes and the dirt are loosed together. Russets are the best for this method.

One would think 'better' is in the eye of the beholder, no?
A wire fencing cylinder wrapped in black plastic sounds ugly.
Why not incorporate a little beauty with function?
(06-27-2012, 12:00 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 11:41 AM)DUNNO Wrote: The wire fencing method is better, all you do is open it up and the potatoes and the dirt are loosed together. Russets are the best for this method.

I like the barrel, but there is no way it is as efficient in producing the warm earth that potatoes like. I think this method of producing potatoes should be a serious consideration, especially for city dwellers, potatoes being a staff of life food an all.
(06-27-2012, 12:10 PM)DUNNO Wrote:

I like the barrel, but there is no way it is as efficient in producing the warm earth that potatoes like. I think this method of producing potatoes should be a serious consideration, especially for city dwellers, potatoes being a staff of life food an all.

Except for the fact that taters are just about the cheapest food you can buy. IF you actually got 100 pounds what's that worth? 15 bucks? minus what you spent on the barrel, potting soil and water and your time?

Looks like a novelty to me.Smiling
(06-27-2012, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Except for the fact that taters are just about the cheapest food you can buy. IF you actually got 100 pounds what's that worth? 15 bucks? minus what you spent on the barrel, potting soil and water and your time?

We are talking food shortages here, and potatoes are a #1 lifesaver.
Starvation is just around the corner, or hadn't you heard? Twitch
(06-27-2012, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: Except for the fact that taters are just about the cheapest food you can buy. IF you actually got 100 pounds what's that worth? 15 bucks? minus what you spent on the barrel, potting soil and water and your time?

Yes, a lovely novelty.
Nothing wrong with that!
(06-27-2012, 01:48 PM)DUNNO Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We are talking food shortages here, and potatoes are a #1 lifesaver.
Starvation is just around the corner, or hadn't you heard? Twitch

Well then plant the freaking potatoes in the freaking ground with some free tiresLaughingLaughing

We don't need no stinking barrelsWink
(06-27-2012, 01:50 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 01:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: Except for the fact that taters are just about the cheapest food you can buy. IF you actually got 100 pounds what's that worth? 15 bucks? minus what you spent on the barrel, potting soil and water and your time?

Yes, a lovely novelty.
Nothing wrong with that!

Nope not at all. I was just pointing out the practicality and it might even be practical for someone who's only choice is to grow in containers.

I'm sure the barrel thing would look great, potatoes have purty flowersBig Grin

I can answer that , and the answer is because it is so not Emerald Green on oh so many levels. Not that hanging plastic bottles on concrete walls is the way to go , but there is absolutely no reason not to make a yard beautiful while using things that need to serve a purpose instead of being waste. Creating an industry around such things as this Marin /SF style upper end product is exactly what is wrong with Green Industry . Its got The Man written all over it. The photo of the clean potatoes supposedly inside the contraption is a dead giveaway. IF they could manufacture non leaching retainer boxes out of plastic that would last it would be great but this thing looks like it could be on a street corner in a high class hood.
Growing your own potatos, is another first line of defense. Mine are planted in the bottom of trenches, and I keep burying them as they grow up. This year, they might bury me. This is an incredible year.
(06-27-2012, 09:04 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Growing your own potatos, is another first line of defense. Mine are planted in the bottom of trenches, and I keep burying them as they grow up. This year, they might bury me. This is an incredible year.

I'm going back to Klamath County this fall...I want to get some of those giant spuds. With me and hubby, I'd only have to peel ONE potato!

yup... But my wife grows some.. Says she just likes to.