Mexican Avocado Soup
Courtesy of The Big Book of Quick & Healthy Recipes, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing 2007.

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon wheat flour
4 1/3 cups vegetable stock
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup almond milk/light cream
Salt to taste
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika

PREPARATION
1. Gently fry the onion in a Dutch oven with the oil. Sprinkle with the flour and stir-fry until the onion is well coated. Continue to stir, and slowly add the stock.

2. Bring to a boil, add the avocado and the cayenne pepper, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Sir in the almond milk or cream, season, and serve garnished with red and yellow bell peppers and paprika.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eat...z1z9cXM0SM
(06-28-2012, 09:43 PM)Clone Wrote: Courtesy of The Big Book of Quick & Healthy Recipes, published by Hearst Books/Sterling Publishing 2007.

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon wheat flour
4 1/3 cups vegetable stock
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup almond milk/light cream
Salt to taste
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika

PREPARATION
1. Gently fry the onion in a Dutch oven with the oil. Sprinkle with the flour and stir-fry until the onion is well coated. Continue to stir, and slowly add the stock.

2. Bring to a boil, add the avocado and the cayenne pepper, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Sir in the almond milk or cream, season, and serve garnished with red and yellow bell peppers and paprika.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eat...z1z9cXM0SM

Yummo!
sounded good until you added the avocado, I wonder what you could use in place of it. I do not think a potato would be good, but there could be something, maybe a squash or something.
(06-29-2012, 10:44 AM)blondemom Wrote: sounded good until you added the avocado, I wonder what you could use in place of it. I do not think a potato would be good, but there could be something, maybe a squash or something.

The title of the recipe is 'Mexican AVOCADO Soup'. Laughing
(06-29-2012, 10:48 AM)Clone Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 10:44 AM)blondemom Wrote: sounded good until you added the avocado, I wonder what you could use in place of it. I do not think a potato would be good, but there could be something, maybe a squash or something.

I know that, but you put out some really good recipes, I was hoping I could modify it,
(06-29-2012, 10:50 AM)blondemom Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 10:48 AM)Clone Wrote:

I know that, but you put out some really good recipes, I was hoping I could modify it,

Maybe a baked yam?
It's the only thing I can think of with a similar consistency.
Next she'll be wanting it without the Mexican. Smiling
I'm not getting what makes it Mexican..
the illegals who pickedthe avocados?
Ha Ha, I know.
I just thought it sounded like an easy, tasty change of pace.
I didn't name the soup!
Food purists.....(sigh)
Maybe they could make it with canned pumpkin instead? Call it Jack O'Lantern surprise or somethin'. Smiling
(06-29-2012, 04:34 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Maybe they could make it with canned pumpkin instead? Call it Jack O'Lantern surprise or somethin'. Smiling

Now THAT'S an idea!
It's always good to contribute rather than take away. Laughing Cool
Irish/Mexican?
I know a few vegetarians that would like this. We'd have to switch out the wheat flour though. They're that picky. Cool