Just a Rant
My daughter and I went to see a play on Sunday in Ashland and spent some time walking around. We had a very nice day.

It bothers me to see all those cretinous 'bums' rolling around on the ground in Lithia Plaza. I can't believe these are all homeless kids with problems. They look like they are having a jolly old time, taking up all the benches, making noise and just being a nuisance.

I have as much compassion for the next person when it comes to the down and out. But why do we have to deal with so many of them, hanging around in our little plaza? Many of these kids look plenty able-bodied to me.

Okay, beat me up now. It's politically incorrect to complain about loiterers, I know. Dry
It seems like if they were going to be homeless they could have less fun at it. Smiling
A lot of youngsters choose to be homeless rather than go by someone's rules (read: parental units or the governmental establishment).
They think they are entitled to do whatever they want, wherever and whenever they want. (Because the ACLU will back them up.)
They have taken over the plaza...and I won't go there because of it. (Take a bath and comb your hair!)
Oh, and some of them aren't actually homeless, they just go there to panhandle and hang with the homeless like it's cool or something. (Woohoo, I can act like a loser too!)

Smiling
(06-29-2012, 12:19 PM)broadzilla Wrote: A lot of youngsters choose to be homeless rather than go by someone's rules (read: parental units or the governmental establishment).
They think they are entitled to do whatever they want, wherever and whenever they want. (Because the ACLU will back them up.)
They have taken over the plaza...and I won't go there because of it. (Take a bath and comb your hair!)
Oh, and some of them aren't actually homeless, they just go there to panhandle and hang with the homeless like it's cool or something. (Woohoo, I can act like a loser too!)

Smiling

Such a broad brush stroke.

I dare say that not everyone who finds themselves in penniless circumstances find great joy and happiness in the carefree lifestyle of the destitute and infamous.
(06-29-2012, 02:20 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 12:19 PM)broadzilla Wrote: A lot of youngsters choose to be homeless rather than go by someone's rules (read: parental units or the governmental establishment).

Smiling

Such a broad brush stroke.

I dare say that not everyone who finds themselves in penniless circumstances find great joy and happiness in the carefree lifestyle of the destitute and infamous.

Did I say "all" the homeless? Nope.
I've been counseling someone lately that has the idea happiness is directly associated with money. Under ordinary circumstances this girl makes $45 an hour, and now she thinks her life is so worthless she ought to consider suicide, being as how her unemployment is about to run out and the "American Dream" is no longer what she envisioned.

I've been telling her happiness is a state of mind, and a person could be "happy" living under a bridge or in a culvert somewhere, if their mental attitude was such as to allow it - afterall, I know someone practically like this, and they can get anything they want for free, and know where to get it from too, and they don't have a speck of money (of course society gives him food stamps, etc.) and yet they appear outwardly at least to be reasonably happy (and, seemingly couldn't "fall" very far even if they tried).

This thread is blowing to hell all of my message, too. Smiling
(06-29-2012, 02:20 PM)Leonard Wrote: Such a broad brush stroke.

No, of course not. However, are there not places for those people to go where they can shower, get food, maybe a bed and some counseling? Being homeless is no joke but I don't see them solving their homeless problem by lolling around on the plaza, hoping to score someone's leftover lunch.

The plaza should be a welcoming place for visitors and residents to stop and take a break. It has been taken over by this element which precludes that. It's not fair. Dry
(06-29-2012, 03:03 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've been counseling someone lately that has the idea happiness is directly associated with money. Under ordinary circumstances this girl makes $45 an hour, and now she thinks her life is so worthless she ought to consider suicide, being as how her unemployment is about to run out and the "American Dream" is no longer what she envisioned.

I've been telling her happiness is a state of mind, and a person could be "happy" living under a bridge or in a culvert somewhere, if their mental attitude was such as to allow it - afterall, I know someone practically like this, and they can get anything they want for free, and know where to get it from too, and they don't have a speck of money (of course society gives him food stamps, etc.) and yet they appear outwardly at least to be reasonably happy (and, seemingly couldn't "fall" very far even if they tried).

I don't really see how a person realistically can be happy living under a bridge or in a culvert but certainly in a modest dwelling. Then again, there are bottom feeders who are happy to sing in the sunshine and get free food stamps. Can't they go sing in the sunshine somewhere besides tiny, little Lithia Plaza in Ashland? Neutral

This makes me sound like an elitist. Not so. It would just be nice one day to walk across the Plaza, sit on a bench for a few minutes and enjoy the world instead of having to rush through it, stepping over people lying in the street or playing guitars, most of whom are strangers or from out of town.
(06-29-2012, 03:13 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 02:20 PM)Leonard Wrote: Such a broad brush stroke.

No, of course not. However, are there not places for those people to go where they can shower, get food, maybe a bed and some counseling? Being homeless is no joke but I don't see them solving their homeless problem by lolling around on the plaza, hoping to score someone's leftover lunch.

The plaza should be a welcoming place for visitors and residents to stop and take a break. It has been taken over by this element which precludes that. It's not fair. Dry

I think the majority of the destitute do go the places you mentioned, but I thought we were discussing the minority of the homeless and the smelly that hung out at Lithia Park. But I think those places for assistance are filled to the rafters with people and far too many are left to their own devices.

After all the world is in a major depression, not unlike the homeless during the 1930 's.

And the simple solution for the park problem; a police round-up; cart them away so the nice people can promenade.
We were just discussing when to visit Lithia Park again.. Maybe we won't now.. We both remember swimming in that creek (Lithia Creek, I guess) when 4 or 5 years old..
Can't swim in the creek.You'll get a ticket.
I lived in the watershed. But you have to be pretty confidant of your God to sleep with all those bears. Chet's flowers are nice, but wouldn't hanging homeless kids, send the message we want? And, they wouldn't need watered.
(06-29-2012, 03:18 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 03:03 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've been counseling someone lately that has the idea happiness is directly associated with money. Under ordinary circumstances this girl makes $45 an hour, and now she thinks her life is so worthless she ought to consider suicide, being as how her unemployment is about to run out and the "American Dream" is no longer what she envisioned.

I don't really see how a person realistically can be happy living under a bridge or in a culvert I bet most are either high or drunk all of the time and or they're lying but certainly in a modest dwelling. Then again, there are bottom feeders who are happy to sing in the sunshine and get free food stamps. Can't they go sing in the sunshine somewhere besides tiny, little Lithia Plaza in Ashland? Neutral

This makes me sound like an elitist. Not so. It would just be nice one day to walk across the Plaza, sit on a bench for a few minutes and enjoy the world instead of having to rush through it, stepping over people lying in the street or playing guitars, most of whom are strangers or from out of town.
Imagine a guy drunk, and on meth.
Some of our "Useless Feeders" are lining up to suck Obamacare dry. I know one varicose vein miner, who's probably cheering.
(06-29-2012, 07:39 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Imagine a guy drunk, and on meth.

I've never touched meth and I don't even drink so it's pretty messed up listening to this shit from a spaced out mental case stoner.
We need more mental health facilities. The ones we have are over-burdened.
(06-29-2012, 03:30 PM)Leonard Wrote: I think the majority of the destitute do go the places you mentioned, but I thought we were discussing the minority of the homeless and the smelly that hung out at Lithia Park. But I think those places for assistance are filled to the rafters with people and far too many are left to their own devices.

After all the world is in a major depression, not unlike the homeless during the 1930 's.

And the simple solution for the park problem; a police round-up; cart them away so the nice people can promenade.

Ohh, I know how it sounds Leonard. I am conflicted by this because I have compassion but resent the circus which has grown up around what is a small plaza in a small town. There should be people with strollers sitting on those benches, not hippies looking for their lost Woodstock.
(06-30-2012, 05:58 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 03:30 PM)Leonard Wrote: I think the majority of the destitute do go the places you mentioned, but I thought we were discussing the minority of the homeless and the smelly that hung out at Lithia Park. But I think those places for assistance are filled to the rafters with people and far too many are left to their own devices.

Ohh, I know how it sounds Leonard. I am conflicted by this because I have compassion but resent the circus which has grown up around what is a small plaza in a small town. There should be people with strollers sitting on those benches, not hippies looking for their lost Woodstock.

I knew you would get this reaction. Basically you are sick and tired of long haired maggot infested lazy ass smelly scum of the earth dopers and drunks Living in and taking over a place where none of them contributed one penny.
I'm down with thatLaughing
I lived in NYC for a few years and grew up just outside of it. In the 1980s, the homeless population exploded. There were shelters and facilities for them but they preferred not to go. Some of them slept on subway grates as a source of heat. My sympathies for them stopped at Grand Central Station. I walked to work past people who were actually urinating in public (males and females) inside the station, panhandling and sleeping everywhere. No one could go into the waiting room or the bathrooms. It was actually scary to me. Since GCS was a public place the law couldn't do anything about it. Until a private entity actually bought it. Then it became trespassing on private property. The station was also closed down at night - after 2 p.m. I think. So they were rousted from the benches, hallways, bathroom and waiting rooms. It sounds cruel but the station wasn't meant to be a shelter. Now travelers may actually utilize the waiting rooms, bathrooms and benches.

Maybe someone should buy the plaza and make it private property.