Very Satisfying
I cut down most of an old apple tree today . Took it down branch by branch and cut it into little pieces . Tomorrow I will take it down to the ground . Very satisfying and to top it off I will take it all to the dump where it will be transferred to a big machine that will grind it into little pieces to make compost .Then I will go to the free compost giveaway at the end of the month and get some of it back to use in my new garden.
You and Reagan, enjoy cutting down old growth trees.
Bwahahahaha ...... Thing is I used a large corona type pruning saw . Only a few of the cuts were really tough. Of course the last couple will take some elbow grease . Ron went after oaks
Apple wood might have better purposes than compost, for example, to barbecue with or for use in a smoker.
like the one he got out of the trash?
(07-02-2012, 08:50 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Apple wood might have better purposes than compost, for example, to barbecue with or for use in a smoker.
I wont be tossing the trunk. And the primary branch stem bases will suffice for smoking. I'm clearing out as much of my wood stores as possible and will be more picky from now on as far as storing anything else. So far even with sealing the tips of smaller tree trunk and branch sections I have seen alot of splitting. When get into the process for real I will work along side tree trimmers and use a chain saw and guide to cut down some stock for use and let it dry in the shade.
If that compost is local, you might want to weed out the tampons.