New Parking Fee in Ashland
The Mail Tribune has a story about how downtown workers in Ashland will now have to pay $5 a day to park in primo spots. The permits are free now but are being abused by workers. If you are a contractor and need your equipment near you to work for the day then a parking permit makes sense. If you are a worker and just don't want to walk too far to your job then it doesn't make sense to take up a coveted spot for an entire day.

How many times have you driven through downtown Ashland, thinking it might be nice to park, shop, dine, whatever only to go home in frustration because there is no place to park? It is self-defeating, when you think about it. No on can shop so the stores have no customers... Confused

I am glad this is being implemented, beginning August 1st.
Been tried before, 15 or so years back. Minimum wage workers paying a fine if they don't want to walk to work.
The tourist Gods will dictate. The first Halloween in Ashland was to celebrate the tourist season ending.
Nobody goes to downtown Ashland anyway, it's to crowded.
they destroyed a perfectly good free parking lot on Hargadine to build a multilevel behemoth that few pay to use. Progress?
(07-03-2012, 06:22 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Been tried before, 15 or so years back. Minimum wage workers paying a fine if they don't want to walk to work.
The tourist Gods will dictate. The first Halloween in Ashland was to celebrate the tourist season ending.
Nobody goes to downtown Ashland anyway, it's to crowded.

God knows I do! I've never been to the famed Ashland parades for fear of the parking/traffic/patrols!
That's the one day you don't have to worry,because there isn't any parking.You have to park in the residential areas several blocks away,by TM's house. Big Grin
(07-03-2012, 11:59 PM)bbqboy Wrote: That's the one day you don't have to worry,because there isn't any parking.You have to park in the residential areas several blocks away,by TM's house. Big Grin

exactly. But more than that.
Haha, I don't live close enough to the Golden Triangle to make it worth it to park there.
Big Grin (I know you were being /sarc).

It is just weird to have all the parking spaces taken up all the time - it can't be that people/tourists are wandering around shopping. There should be a facility for employees to park, just not in the spots closest to all the businesses. IMHO. Sleepy
(07-04-2012, 10:48 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Haha, I don't live close enough to the Golden Triangle to make it worth it to park there.
Big Grin (I know you were being /sarc).

It is just weird to have all the parking spaces taken up all the time - it can't be that people/tourists are wandering around shopping. There should be a facility for employees to park, just not in the spots closest to all the businesses. IMHO. Sleepy

My oldest daughter is in Ashland for the week. Her hubby was raised there. His entire family is there. My daughter and her hubby ran the 10K race this morning and are at the parade now with our 4 year old grandgirl.
Wow, real local people, a proud legacy of Ashland. It is a nice town and I'm glad we live here. I just wish there was somewhere to park. Wink
(07-04-2012, 12:59 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Wow, real local people, a proud legacy of Ashland. It is a nice town and I'm glad we live here. I just wish there was somewhere to park. Wink

what happened to you bicycling?Rolling Eyes
Used to live by the plaza. Lithia park was across my driveway. Paid $115 a month rent. Man that was fun. The fourth was just around the corner. Took the Alice Piel Walkway, down the staircase and you were on the plaza.
(07-04-2012, 01:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 12:59 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Wow, real local people, a proud legacy of Ashland. It is a nice town and I'm glad we live here. I just wish there was somewhere to park. Wink

I could ride my bike to the Plaza but getting home would be a bee-yotch because it's all uphill. This is a very hilly place for a non-cyclist like moi. Riding on a nice, flat surface is what suits me. Makes me miss the RV Park in AZ we visited this past winter. It was flat as a pancake and I rode my little collapsible bike every day.
(07-05-2012, 10:22 AM)TennisMom Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 01:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

I could ride my bike to the Plaza but getting home would be a bee-yotch because it's all uphill. This is a very hilly place for a non-cyclist like moi. Riding on a nice, flat surface is what suits me. Makes me miss the RV Park in AZ we visited this past winter. It was flat as a pancake and I rode my little collapsible bike every day.

You need an e-bike or one of two wheelie things that you stand up on...Segway that's what it is......Just been readin the how many days old are you thread. A rascal scooter for me.
An e-bike would be REALLY AWESOME but they are expensive. When the price comes down perhaps I'll consider one. Think of adjusting the electric motor so you can peddle and still get exercise without straining, sweating and pushing. Delightful. OUt of my price range for now, though. Neutral
(07-06-2012, 11:11 AM)TennisMom Wrote: An e-bike would be REALLY AWESOME but they are expensive. When the price comes down perhaps I'll consider one. Think of adjusting the electric motor so you can peddle and still get exercise without straining, sweating and pushing. Delightful. OUt of my price range for now, though. Neutral

Some learn your style. The computer will adjust to the hills and equalize the work it learns from you. I hear you TM I'd love one too. Some even have cruise control.
If we have a sudden, unexpected infusion of cash (LaughingLaughing) I would really love to buy one of those.
screw that. buy a braamo and go wild.
(07-06-2012, 01:04 PM)TennisMom Wrote: If we have a sudden, unexpected infusion of cash (LaughingLaughing) I would really love to buy one of those.

I don't think they are very expensive but I really don't know anything about them. I've just seen them for sale for 5 or 6 hundred.
Five or six hundred could work. The ones I saw last year were closer to $2,000. Maybe it 's time to look around. Thanks for all the information, all.
(07-07-2012, 01:57 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Five or six hundred could work. The ones I saw last year were closer to $2,000. Maybe it 's time to look around. Thanks for all the information, all.

This looks good....

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologie...ctric+bike