3rd July 1988: This Day in Sorrow.
[Image: 599246_383677211692410_1746397534_n.jpg]

3rd July 1988: This day in sorrow.
Iran Air Flight 655 (IR655) was a civilian A300 jet airliner shot down by U.S. missiles over the Strait of Hormuz. The aircraft, an Airbus A300B2-203 operated by Iran Air, was flying from Bandar Abbas, Iran, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, when it was destroyed by the U.S. Navy’s guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes, killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard, including 66 children.

Originally, according to the US they thought it was a F14. That is interesting, because the US ship that shot down the civilian aircraft was the most advanced ship the US had, and the civilian A300 aircraft is about three times each dimension bigger than the F14 in every direction making it about 9 times bigger when viewing from any direction and about 27 times the volume.*
The US claim to have made a radio call to it. Two missiles were fired from the American warship--the aircraft was hit, and all 290 people aboard were killed, including 66 children**. Iran called the downing of the aircraft a "barbaric massacre," but U.S. officials defended the action, claiming that the aircraft was outside the commercial jet flight corridor, flying at only 7,800 feet, and was on a descent toward the Vincennes. The attack came near the end of the Iran-Iraq War, when U.S. vessels were in the gulf defending Kuwaiti oil tankers. Minutes before Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down, the Vincennes had engaged Iranian gunboats that shot at its helicopter (Inside Iranian territory).
However, one month later, U.S. authorities acknowledged that the airbus was in the commercial flight corridor, flying at 12,000 feet, and not descending. The US call to the Jet was also stated to be on the wrong frequency. The U.S. Navy report blamed crew error caused by psychological stress on men who were in combat for the first time. In 1996, the U.S. agreed to pay $62 million in damages to the families of the Iranians killed in the attack.

*A300 vs. F-14
44.84m (147’1”) vs. 11.4m (38”) wing span
54.10m (177’5”) vs. 18.6m (61’9”) length
16.5m (54’3”) vs. 4.8m (16”) Height
**Yes I did repeat the 290 dead ppl twice and state there were 66 children twice. Ppl died, this is the wrong part. The other option was to show images of the dead, something I was not prepared to do.
Article of interest:
http://www.newstatesman.com/node/149933
Somewhat biased article but worth reading with a critical eye, to see this from the other side’s point of view:
http://morallowground.com/2011/12/29/the...-conflict/
American History site:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...senger-jet
The Iranian government news report from today:
http://www.tehrantimes.com/politics/9928...flight-655-

~Naked Liberal
And your point is???
(07-03-2012, 12:58 PM)hillclimber Wrote: And your point is???

There needs to be a point?
Acknowleging the death of 290 civilians including 66 children?
If we commemorate Lockerbie, why shouldn't we commemorate this tragedy?
The point seems simple. We killed a bunch of innocent people, and lied about the circumstances. Later, we tried to sweep it under the rug with money when the stink got too great.

If we can't learn from this, there's something wrong with us.
-----
(07-03-2012, 01:06 PM)Clone Wrote:

You aren't telling the truth, IMO.

You can easily acknowledge civilian deaths by citing some hwy. stats. What's the difference here??? Leonard knows, and he's better at this than you.
(07-03-2012, 11:58 AM)Clone Wrote: Somewhat biased article but worth reading with a critical eye, to see this from the other side’s point of view:
http://morallowground.com/2011/12/29/the...-conflict/

I always like to look at things from the other's side of view, just to get perspective on things. This certainly was eye-opening. Thank you.
(07-03-2012, 01:16 PM)hillclimber Wrote:

You can easily acknowledge civilian deaths by citing some hwy. stats. What's the difference here??? Leonard knows, and he's better at this than you.

So when you have no answer, you call me a liar.
The United States government admits to this tragedy...and paid Iran for their loss.
I am many things that you, sir, find objectionable.
I am not, however, a liar.
YOU are...to try and protect your mis-beliefs.
(07-03-2012, 04:38 PM)Clone Wrote:

The United States government admits to this tragedy...and paid Iran for their loss.

Actually when one of the more nasty, unethical types says IMO it is means in this case; ''you lying sack of shit'' when in reality IMO means ''it's my personal opinion only''.

It's not unlike those stupid smiley or winking faces after saying ''fuck-you'' or ''your head of up your ass'' or ''bite me''.

A more honest phraseology; ''Personally I do/don't think blah, blah, blah and back it up with some persuasive reasoning.

But then you and I don't live in that world of ignorance, of even the known and the constant frustration caused by having to defend the indefensible and justify the make-believe.

Can we commemorate Fast and Furious too? HUNDREDS of men, women, and children have been killed, as well as 2 AMERICAN federal employees. Then we can commemorate Ruby Ridge, as well as Waco. You in?

I think the difference is you are just trying to point out what happened under a republican president.
Most people here could care less about republican/democrat politics. They're amazingly similar anyway. I think this was more U.S. policy vs. the rest of the world, and how we get perceived by others.

Bologna...You are a liar if you insist that you had no nefarious reason, such as condemning a Republican administration for this. And you know this, but you got your back up and simply won't admit it.. gee.. chill.
(07-03-2012, 06:38 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Can we commemorate Fast and Furious too? HUNDREDS of men, women, and children have been killed, as well as 2 AMERICAN federal employees. Then we can commemorate Ruby Ridge, as well as Waco. You in?

I think the difference is you are just trying to point out what happened under a republican president.

Yes clone, still want to stonewall? I'm done with this

Can we then commemorate the half million Iraqi children killed by Bill Clinton?

GOD DAMN AMERICA

That is the point.
Yep . Love Love Love
Quote:GOD DAMN AMERICA

That is the point.

Quote:Bologna...You are a liar if you insist that you had no nefarious reason, such as condemning a Republican administration for this. And you know this, but you got your back up and simply won't admit it.. gee.. chill.

Quote:I think the difference is you are just trying to point out what happened under a republican president.

Introducing what used to be called the Peanut Gallery is now, drumroll please,
The Hater Gallery.
Share a story of 299 innocent folks being killed and prepare for the vitriol.
Just step out of yourselves for a moment and look at yourselves.
Foolish idiots.
So threatened, so appalled at the old, fat, one-breasted mouthy woman.
Pantywaists.
Wussses.
Never had a guldurned original thought in your entire lives.
he owns his wimmins. They does wut he sez.
“I will never apologize for the United States of America. Ever. I don’t care what the facts are.”

George H.W. Bush
Larry
tvguy
hillclimber
You left out a bunch of people on your Them list . Might as well go generic Them and add the rest of us . Then again I might make you look like the minority you really are. Hater Libs.