Craigslist funny stuff
(01-11-2019, 05:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:10 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 03:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:  I'm kind of on the fence about the whole rent and gouging issue. Rent prices like anything else are market driven.

So if everyone else is getting 1250 for a 2 BR apt. And YOU had a 2 BR apt. available to rent.
Would you rent for less? Would you really lose money just to be a nice person?

It seems a little crazy to expect someone in business to ask less than they can get.
 Would you sell a car for less than Kelly blue books value? Or less than the going rate>

People need to charge what they need to. They shouldn't take a loss. But that's not what happened entirely. What happened was a huge increase that happened to existing properties that had been rentals for years. Like mine.  30 % rent increases overnight.  And not just isolated instances, but huge swaths of it, from top to bottom values.  So,yes, market driven, but not all from necessity.  If  you are buying a house in today's market with todays prices I see that it would take these prices to sustain it, but it happened overnight to existing properties across the board. Interestingly, the owner of my rental was informed apparently of my rent increase.  He didn't approve it even thought the management had already raised it. When he found out about it, he vetoed it and lowered it.  He knew it wasn't a fair price. It was still higher but not by 30% more like 15%.  That tells you something. There was no upkeep or or repairs done to my house for years except what was absolutely necessary. They were aware of many, many things wrong in the house and chose not to repair it. So, based on this experience and hearing nearly identical stories from so many others, it leads me to label it a kind of gouging.  I've  heard it said that the MJ market is behind a lot of the housing increases.  I don't know about that, but it all seemed to converge around the same time.

I hear you but I noticed you didn't answer my three questions LOL.

Regardless of where or not it is "gouging" The simple fact is landlords are getting as much as they can for what they have. I have to say I would do the same and not lose any sleep.

I understand how it works.  And how capitalism works. Gouging works based on market anticipation. There obviously was an anticipation that the market was going to change.  It's unfortunate that that change doesn't help those who are on the receiving end. The cost of living rises but not the wages. 30% is a really huge leap in cost.  It's quite obvious no one is losing sleep over it.

You still haven't answered my questions. Laughing

I think I did to a degree if not specifically.
(01-11-2019, 05:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:10 PM)Juniper Wrote: People need to charge what they need to. They shouldn't take a loss. But that's not what happened entirely. What happened was a huge increase that happened to existing properties that had been rentals for years. Like mine.  30 % rent increases overnight.  And not just isolated instances, but huge swaths of it, from top to bottom values.  So,yes, market driven, but not all from necessity.  If  you are buying a house in today's market with todays prices I see that it would take these prices to sustain it, but it happened overnight to existing properties across the board. Interestingly, the owner of my rental was informed apparently of my rent increase.  He didn't approve it even thought the management had already raised it. When he found out about it, he vetoed it and lowered it.  He knew it wasn't a fair price. It was still higher but not by 30% more like 15%.  That tells you something. There was no upkeep or or repairs done to my house for years except what was absolutely necessary. They were aware of many, many things wrong in the house and chose not to repair it. So, based on this experience and hearing nearly identical stories from so many others, it leads me to label it a kind of gouging.  I've  heard it said that the MJ market is behind a lot of the housing increases.  I don't know about that, but it all seemed to converge around the same time.

I hear you but I noticed you didn't answer my three questions LOL.

Regardless of where or not it is "gouging" The simple fact is landlords are getting as much as they can for what they have. I have to say I would do the same and not lose any sleep.

I understand how it works.  And how capitalism works. Gouging works based on market anticipation. There obviously was an anticipation that the market was going to change.  It's unfortunate that that change doesn't help those who are on the receiving end. The cost of living rises but not the wages. 30% is a really huge leap in cost.  It's quite obvious no one is losing sleep over it.

OK whatever but they were yes or no questions.
(01-11-2019, 05:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: I hear you but I noticed you didn't answer my three questions LOL.

I don't think they are. Housing is an important sociological factor. It's not the same as car prices rising or appliances or entertainment, or many other things.  To me what happened here specifically was gouging, when it was done the way it was done. Now if someone buys a new home and rents it out in a way that reflects the price they paid, I understand that. But what happened here, to me is like having to pay $1000.00 for a epi pen, or not being able to afford life saving treatment.  I guess it's just oxy-moronic to hope for anything else.
(01-11-2019, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 04:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: I understand how it works.  And how capitalism works. Gouging works based on market anticipation. There obviously was an anticipation that the market was going to change.  It's unfortunate that that change doesn't help those who are on the receiving end. The cost of living rises but not the wages. 30% is a really huge leap in cost.  It's quite obvious no one is losing sleep over it.

I don't think they are. Housing is an important sociological factor. It's not the same as car prices rising or appliances or entertainment, or many other things.  To me what happened here specifically was gouging, when it was done the way it was done. Now if someone buys a new home and rents it out in a way that reflects the price they paid, I understand that. But what happened here, to me is like having to pay $1000.00 for a epi pen, or not being able to afford life saving treatment.  I guess it's just oxy-moronic to hope for anything else.
These two questions have nothing to do with as car prices rising or appliances or entertainment.

If everyone else is getting 1250 for a 2 BR apt. And YOU had a 2 BR apt. available to rent.
(01-11-2019, 06:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 05:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: You still haven't answered my questions. Laughing

These two questions have nothing to do with as car prices rising or appliances or entertainment.

If everyone else is getting 1250 for a 2 BR apt. And YOU had a 2 BR apt. available to rent.

I've already said you shouldn't take a loss. I'm not sure how you can't see that as a "No" answer.
But what I hear you saying, TV, is that if everyone just raises the price, beyond their cost, in a very short time period, that is alright because now they've reset the minimum level.
(01-11-2019, 06:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: But what I hear you saying, TV, is that if everyone just raises the price, beyond their cost, in a very short time period, that is alright because now they've reset the minimum level.

I didn't say it's alright. I'm just talking about the nature of the thing.

The way you describe it is price fixing. But it's really not. What we have is a market where the demand is higher than the supply.
Like gasoline. In the summer when people are burning up gas at very high rate the supply goes down and the price goes up.
As soon as people start driving less the supply goes up and the demand goes  down along with the cost.

I know you understand this but you compare high rent to the epi pen event. And that was truly gouging.
The rent situation is REALLY about more renters and not enough landlords. Supply and demand.
You claim everyone just raised the price . They did but they did so based on the market value. From where I sit that's not gouging at all. That's business.
(01-11-2019, 08:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: But what I hear you saying, TV, is that if everyone just raises the price, beyond their cost, in a very short time period, that is alright because now they've reset the minimum level.

I didn't say it's alright. I'm just talking about the nature of the thing.

The way you describe it is price fixing. But it's really not. What we have is a market where the demand is higher than the supply.
Like gasoline. In the summer when people are burning up gas at very high rate the supply goes down and the price goes up.
As soon as people start driving less the supply goes up and the demand goes  down along with the cost.

I know you understand this but you compare high rent to the epi pen event. And that was truly gouging.
The rent situation is REALLY about more renters and not enough landlords. Supply and demand.
You claim everyone just raised the price . They did but they did so based on the market value. From where I sit that's not gouging at all. That's business.

I claim a large amount of landlords and management companies did, not all. And they did.  And you are correct, that's business, but it displaced a lot of people.
What’s happened in the RV is more akin to the Hunt Brothers attempting to corner and control the silver markets.
There is little to no competition because CPM controls a vast amount, probably the majority, of rental properties.
The opposite of capitalism.
I haven’t researched the # of units they control vs. total # in county. Not sure whether they voluntarily release those figures, but I experienced the whole mess personally, so I do have the personal experience down. Smiling
(01-13-2019, 06:16 AM)bbqboy Wrote: What’s happened in the RV is more akin to the Hunt Brothers attempting to corner and control the silver markets.
There is little to no competition because CPM controls a vast amount, probably the majority,  of rental properties.
I haven’t researched the # of units they control vs. total # in county. Not sure whether they voluntarily release those figures, but I experienced the whole mess personally, so I do have the personal experience down.  Smiling

I don't know.  All I know is stayed in the same house for 26 years and never got more than a 15 percent rent race and  in one day received a 40% increase.  That's nuts. I'm very bad at numbers...when I did the math on the increase, it was higher than I though. But the house was falling apart.  The floorboards were falling in, the drywall was was falling off, there were holes from the outside of the house, leading into the interior, but they never addressed any of that.
The apartment I was in was $600, then, $750, then $900 and I don’t know how much higher now.
That’s in 2 1/2 years.
(01-13-2019, 06:16 AM)bbqboy Wrote: What’s happened in the RV is more akin to the Hunt Brothers attempting to corner and control the silver markets.
There is little to no competition because CPM controls a vast amount, probably the majority,  of rental properties.
I haven’t researched the # of units they control vs. total # in county. Not sure whether they voluntarily release those figures, but I experienced the whole mess personally, so I do have the personal experience down.  Smiling

CPM controls a vast amount, probably the majority,  of rental properties.

I had not thought about that. I would live to know what percentage of rentals they have.
(01-13-2019, 09:54 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't know.  All I know is stayed in the same house for 26 years and never got more than a 15 percent rent race and  in one day received a 40% increase.  That's nuts. I'm very bad at numbers...when I did the math on the increase, it was higher than I though. But the house was falling apart.  The floorboards were falling in, the drywall was was falling off, there were holes from the outside of the house, leading into the interior, but they never addressed any of that.
After you moved out they might have. Maybe that was the plan IDK
(01-13-2019, 02:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

They haven't.  I dont' know what's going on with the house. My old neighbors think it's a crack house  now with prostitution going on at night.
(01-13-2019, 03:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

They haven't.  I dont' know what's going on with the house. My old neighbors think it's a crack house  now with prostitution going on at night.

So It will be funny when someone you haven't seen in years stops by your old house . And says.. "I'm lookin for Juniper" And they say "Nope, no Juniper.But we've got Candy and Jasmine"
The definition of hope Smiling My wife drives pretty much the same thing. So everyday when I look a cars for sale I always notice  97 Accords are going for. So when I think of what it would cost and the time it would take to buy all the parts to fix this up.That cost plus this car already has 216871... an exercise in futility.
And yet some kid will probably do it and good for him Big Grin

1995 HONDA ACCORD - $750 (MEDFORD OR)

image 2 of 2
[Image: 00606_7wFZKw3OS72_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 01313_c1dvM0TgNpx_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 00606_7wFZKw3OS72_600x450.jpg]
[Image: 01313_c1dvM0TgNpx_600x450.jpg]

[Image: 00606_7wFZKw3OS72_50x50c.jpg][Image: 01313_c1dvM0TgNpx_50x50c.jpg]

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
(google map)
runs and drives 4 door 5 speed 216871 miles good tags needs windshield quoted $200.00 installed
Another crack smoking CL seller

Nice GE Cabinet TV - $100 (Central Point, Or.)
image 1 of 3
[Image: 00k0k_8L9E7JDLYZW_600x450.jpg]

condition: excellent

Selling nice GE 25" cabinet tv. Requires cable box (Direct tv, Dish, Ect.). But not antenna with out digital signal. Works good. Nice piece of furniture. $100.00 show contact info
(02-14-2019, 09:11 AM)GPnative Wrote: Another crack smoking CL seller

image 1 of 3

Selling nice GE 25" cabinet tv. Requires cable box (Direct tv, Dish, Ect.). But not antenna with out digital signal. Works good. Nice piece of furniture. $100.00 show contact info

Is it B&W ??   I'm really holding out for a B&W one.   Laughing
(02-14-2019, 10:48 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

image 1 of 3

Is it B&W ??   I'm really holding out for a B&W one.   Laughing

Yes, the B&W with the constant V-hold issues are highly sought after.

image 1 of 3

You dont no nuthin... it aint about the tv, it about the solid particle board furnshur wit the plastic lanb bin nation

them handels a lone is worth a hunnert dollers