Great Day for the NRA!
(07-21-2012, 03:38 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-21-2012, 02:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, but they ran, TV, they ran.

Ya, I'm a little confused on that. The guy needs to aim better.

So, because this guy, wearing his kevlar and crotch guard and throat protector would have just stood there if shot at? Gotta wonder. That mask wouldn't have saved him though.
(07-21-2012, 07:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-21-2012, 03:38 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-21-2012, 02:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, but they ran, TV, they ran.

Ya, I'm a little confused on that. The guy needs to aim better.

So, because this guy, wearing his kevlar and crotch guard and throat protector would have just stood there if shot at? Gotta wonder. That mask wouldn't have saved him though.

The famous bank robbery in LA was the first time police went up against men with body armor and automatic assault weapons.
And yes the robbers just stood there while the out gunned cops hit them with small arms fire that basically did nothing. It's on video.

The police actually had to go to a gun store and get the weapons they needed to stop those guys. One of the two killed himself. The other who was calmly walking and making his escape was only stopped when cops finally arrived with their own body armor and assault rifles.
(07-21-2012, 10:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:[quote='TennisMom' pid='217734' dateline='1342887003']
This guy was able to buy enough ammunition and guns to take out a whole town and nobody thought to ask him what he was going to do with all of it?

OK so what if someone someome did ask him what he was going to do with all of it

What do you think he would have said?

Quote: The NRA has effectively prevented anyone from questioning the motives of someone like this.

Question about what? Who does this questioning? Do you actually think this guy would have told anyone what he was going to do?

Quote:No one should get in the way of the profits of the gun manufacturers. If you think there is any other reasoning behind this, Tia, then you might want to do some research.

I think there is plenty of reasoning behind Americans having and keeping the right to own guns that have NOTHING to do with profits.

Quote: It is ALL about profits. Also, don't think there isn't someone else out there wondering how he can do the same thing. Now he knows which weapons to use and where to buy them.

That's just silly TM. ANYONE who was wondering how to do the same would either ALREADY know what type of weapon to use and if not there is the Internet, the television and magazines.

Quote: All the gun-supporting states have had tragedies like this and do nothing about them. Colorado, Tennessee, ARizona... All 'gun states'.

So the non gun supporting states have done something?

The gun manufacturers don't just make money by selling assault weapons in the USA. They sell them all over the world. Which terrorist do you know of who wants to buy a six-shooter? Or a hunting rifle for elk?

Bill Clinton signed a ten-year ban on assault weapons. GWB quietly allowed it to expire. The NRA does not represent Joe the Deer Hunter. It represents large manufacturers of guns.

Why does anybody need to buy an assault weapon? Who needs six thousand rounds of ammunition? Why is alcohol more regulated in this country than weaponry?

As for these things occurring mostly in gun-states, do you not think it is a coincidence that the ease with which one may purchase these weapons of mass destruction results in more mass shootings? It's easy to buy a gun in Colorado. Ergo, you have Aurora, Littleton and the town where someone shot up a Chuckie Cheese about ten years ago.
(07-21-2012, 01:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: The only "reasoning" I have is what makes people do this in the first place. He had a boobytrapped home. He had chemical bombs. He had lots of knowledge and access to alternative weapons. If he couldn't have gotten guns and ammo, this guy was going to do something anyway. What I really wonder is what it is that makes people so crazy, desperate and violent.

That's part of the point, Tia. There will ALWAYS be a lunatic out there who wants to destroy the world, or part of it. Our job is to protect ourselves. Why make it easy for someone to buy weapons of mass destruction?

What if this guy assembled a nuke instead, which wouldn't be unlikely given his science background. Are the materials for doing that regulated? Let's hope so. Is it so easy to buy plutonium? Let's hope not.

He threw tear gas canisters into the theater. Where the eff did he get THOSE?! That's why even armed individuals were hampered if they wanted to 'take him out'.

There will be another nut. What will he use and how easy will it be for him to acquire his choice of weaponry? Please don't try and tell me that a hunting rifle or handgun would have done as much damage. Seventy people were killed or wounded. Only an assault weapon can wreak that much havoc. Or a nuke....
Reports say that his AR jammed. SO YES he did it with a pistol and shotgun. Remember Virginia Tech? Pistols only.
(07-22-2012, 11:25 AM)TennisMom Wrote: That's part of the point, Tia. There will ALWAYS be a lunatic out there who wants to destroy the world, or part of it. Our job is to protect ourselves. Why make it easy for someone to buy weapons of mass destruction?

What if this guy assembled a nuke instead, which wouldn't be unlikely given his science background. Are the materials for doing that regulated? Let's hope so. Is it so easy to buy plutonium? Let's hope not.

He threw tear gas canisters into the theater. Where the eff did he get THOSE?! That's why even armed individuals were hampered if they wanted to 'take him out'.

There will be another nut. What will he use and how easy will it be for him to acquire his choice of weaponry? Please don't try and tell me that a hunting rifle or handgun would have done as much damage. Seventy people were killed or wounded. Only an assault weapon can wreak that much havoc. Or a nuke....

Very well said.
(07-22-2012, 11:49 AM)Clone Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 11:25 AM)TennisMom Wrote: That's part of the point, Tia. There will ALWAYS be a lunatic out there who wants to destroy the world, or part of it. Our job is to protect ourselves. Why make it easy for someone to buy weapons of mass destruction?

Very well said.

More like very ignorant.
Quote: 'TennisMom'

The gun manufacturers don't just make money by selling assault weapons in the USA. They sell them all over the world. Which terrorist do you know of who wants to buy a six-shooter? Or a hunting rifle for elk?

Well maybe we need to ask OL about this but when I think of an assault rifle I think of an AK-47 or an SKS I think these are the most common assault rifles in the world and they are not made in America.

Quote:Bill Clinton signed a ten-year ban on assault weapons. GWB quietly allowed it to expire. The NRA does not represent Joe the Deer Hunter. It represents large manufacturers of guns.

There is no evidence that this ban ever actually did anything to reduce gun fatalities. Maybe that why it was allowed to expire and why no one else has even tried to re introduce a similar bill.

Quote:Why does anybody need to buy an assault weapon? Who needs six thousand rounds of ammunition?

Who does anyone "need" a dragster or a horse, or off road ATV's or a monster truck.
Your implication is that we should or can ban something because people in your opinion don't need something.
Shotting weapons is a hobby and a sport. People have 50 cal weapons and machine guns. It's not about a "need"

Quote:Why is alcohol more regulated in this country than weaponry?

That's simply not factually correct.

Quote:As for these things occurring mostly in gun-states, do you not think it is a coincidence that the ease with which one may purchase these weapons of mass destruction results in more mass shootings? It's easy to buy a gun in Colorado. Ergo, you have Aurora, Littleton and the town where someone shot up a Chuckie Cheese about ten years ago.

The two kids who did the Columbine shooting used shotguns and made pipe bombs. Weapons that can also be purchases anywhere. true they also had a semi auto 9 mm piston and a carbine.
The guy who shot up the Chuckie cheese used a 25 cal semi auto pistol. You can buy one of those in any state.
I'm having doubts about the validity of these claims that all these deadly shootings are occurring in states that don't have laws to limit sales of assault rifles.
In one year, GUNS murdered 35 in Australia, 39 in England and Wales, 194 in Germany, 200 in Canada, and 9,484 in the United States. http://bradycampaign.org/facts/
(07-22-2012, 12:00 PM)TennisMom Wrote: In one year, PEOPLE murdered 35 in Australia, 39 in England and Wales, 194 in Germany, 200 in Canada, and 9,484 in the United States. http://bradycampaign.org/facts/

Fixed that for ya.....
I'm sure TV will be glad to tell us why statistics that apply to the rest of the world can't possibly relate to the U.S. Ninja
(07-22-2012, 12:04 PM)Larry Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 12:00 PM)TennisMom Wrote: In one year, PEOPLE murdered 35 in Australia, 39 in England and Wales, 194 in Germany, 200 in Canada, and 9,484 in the United States. http://bradycampaign.org/facts/

Fixed that for ya.....

Perhaps you'll show us some comparable massacres committed by lone individuals without the easy availability of guns then.
(07-22-2012, 12:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Fixed that for ya.....

Perhaps you'll show us some comparable massacres committed by lone individuals without the easy availability of guns then.

Perhaps you could get me some statistics of these GUNS committing these acts of their own volition, without the aid of a person?
I see absolutely no need for assault weapons to be legal for the average Joe to own. Police? Maybe. Military? Sure. Joe Blow? No.
(07-22-2012, 12:23 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I see absolutely no need for assault weapons to be legal for the average Joe to own. Police? Maybe. Military? Sure. Joe Blow? No.

Define assault weapon.
(07-22-2012, 12:20 PM)Larry Wrote:

Fixed that for ya.....

Perhaps you could get me some statistics of these GUNS committing these acts of their own volition, without the aid of a person?

So, how many deadly things do you think you should be entitled to own?

Personally, I'm thinking of arming myself with a nuclear bomb. Don't worry, there's nothing inherently unsafe about that. It would take a human to set it off. Trust me. Ninja
(07-22-2012, 12:28 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 12:20 PM)Larry Wrote:

Fixed that for ya.....

So, how many deadly things do you think you should be entitled to own?

Like a car?
(07-22-2012, 12:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm sure TV will be glad to tell us why statistics that apply to the rest of the world can't possibly relate to the U.S. Ninja

I never said statistics that apply to the rest of the world don't relate to the U.S.

Try reading with comprehension. I explained in detail why comparing our country to SOME others is not a valid comparison.
That should be simple to understand.

This case is the same. ANYONE who thinks that the shootings from our ghettos and our gangs that these counties we are compared to DON'T HAVE this problem are not significant than they are a stupid freaking idiot.
(07-22-2012, 12:23 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I see absolutely no need for assault weapons to be legal for the average Joe to own. Police? Maybe. Military? Sure. Joe Blow? No.

That fact that you aren't sure that the police should have what you call assault weapons is evidence of TOTAL ignorance on the subject.