Verizon Really Sucks
My DH, the genius, forgot to take his phone out of his pocket when he tossed all his clothes in the washing machine today. So, he went up to Verizon to see about it because it wouldn't work. He went into the store and wondered why the clerks were all just standing around chatting. He was able, finally, to attract the attention of one of them who said that their computers were out of service nationwide and there was nothing he could do to help him. DH was advised to put his phone in a Baggie with some rice.

Computers out nationwide?! At a communications company? Eek!
It's a very helpless feeling when you're a business and dependent on your computers when your computers are down. I've been there and feel their pain.
(07-22-2012, 11:30 AM)TennisMom Wrote: DH was advised to put his phone in a Baggie with some rice.

It worked for my "clean" phone. Big Grin
Boy. Does every business or person "suck" to you, when things go wrong?
Please post when you find that perfect world.
Just think, had the DH not been irresponsible and left his phone in the pants before washing, it would never have been an issue. I guess, by your standards, the DH sucks. Bummer.
My daughter works for Verizon wireless in customer service. She says the customers really suck. Laughing
(07-22-2012, 12:58 PM)gapper Wrote: Boy. Does every business or person "suck" to you, when things go wrong?
Just think, had the DH not been irresponsible and left his phone in the pants before washing, it would never have been an issue. I guess, by your standards, the DH sucks. Bummer.

When you sit down, does the room go dark? You must think the sun shines out of your @zzwhole.

Shut up.
(07-22-2012, 12:58 PM)Crazylace Wrote: My daughter works for Verizon wireless in customer service. She says the customers really suck. Laughing

I bet a lot of them do! Big Grin
The thing is, why not just close the store or put up a sign rather than having customers walk in, wandering around, waiting to be helped by the clerks who are just standing around?

BTW the rice-in-a-Baggie method seems to have worked. Smiling
They ought to sell bags of rice @ Verizon. Smiling
(07-23-2012, 01:20 PM)Crazylace Wrote: They ought to sell bags of rice @ Verizon. Smiling

There ya go! Good idea. Wink
I was wondering what part the rice can possibly be playing in this, and why you couldn't just put it in the sun or someplace else warm and dry instead.
Rice is a moisture seeking grain, and when placed in a closed container with something moist, it will draw most all the moisture out of the object.

My daughter used this trick when she dropped her phone in the sink while doing dishes.

Two things.......one......... she should not keep her phone in her bra when doing dishes.
Two....I have no idea how or why she was doing dishes in the first place. After all, shes a teenager...............
(07-23-2012, 02:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I was wondering what part the rice can possibly be playing in this, and why you couldn't just put it in the sun or someplace else warm and dry instead.

I think what we have here is one of those deals where they can't tell you what works best, which would be exactly what you said.
Because stupid people will or probably did end up melting their phones.

I've dropped my camera in a lake twiceRazz both times I took the cover off and put it in on the dash with the sun shining through the windshield. It worked

I also accidentally soaked my camera and I dried it with hair dryer, that worked too.
(07-22-2012, 11:30 AM)TennisMom Wrote: My DH, the genius, forgot to take his phone out of his pocket when he tossed all his clothes in the washing machine today. So, he went up to Verizon to see about it because it wouldn't work. He went into the store and wondered why the clerks were all just standing around chatting. He was able, finally, to attract the attention of one of them who said that their computers were out of service nationwide and there was nothing he could do to help him. DH was advised to put his phone in a Baggie with some rice.

Computers out nationwide?! At a communications company? Eek!

This post makes you sound like a whiny bitch. Shut up. RazzLaughingLaughing
(07-23-2012, 01:13 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 12:58 PM)gapper Wrote: Boy. Does every business or person "suck" to you, when things go wrong?

When you sit down, does the room go dark? You must think the sun shines out of your @zzwhole.

Shut up.

This post makes you sound like a foul mouthed bitch. Shut up.
Cool
I hate my new phone. It's not Verizon. I'm too cheap for them. It's a pre-paid and apparently, I have to point it directly at the satellite..as it's passing over..waving my arm around like I'm signaling the Mother ship.. to get any coverage.

I know.. cheap AND whiny. Smiling
If you drop electronic stuff in water, remove the batteries as quick as possible.
The batteries will drive corrosion.

Most electronic boards get washed in water during assembly. Water won't hurt most electronic components if there is no power connected.
I dropped mine in tea with milk.. Everyone sounded muffled for a week or two.
(07-23-2012, 10:36 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I dropped mine in tea with milk.. Everyone sounded muffled for a week or two.

I have a prepaid with Consumer Cellular through AARP that I have no complaints with. I realize you don't qualify for the AARP stuff, but sometime just google 'Consumer Cellular'.

It's working amazingly well...BUT...in my humble opinion, Verizon is the Cadillac of the wireless world. My phone is a Chevrolet Impala. Good enough!
I use it about 10 minutes a month.
I recently changed from ATT to Verizon, and am thrilled to not be dropping calls all the time, or simply have no service in a lot of locals, as I did with ATT.
Plus, the customer service I received during the process of changing over was second to none.
My husband has used Verizon for work, as well as AT&T, to be honest he has had to deal with dropped calls and no coverage. I have Sprint and so far for the last 4 years I have had very little issues with dropped calls. And when we were moving across the country I had better coverage than my husband did.