Notes from a Dog Walker on 'No Kill"
This article has inspired a great deal of thought in me.
The author addresses the situation of animal sanctuaries that, for one reason or another, have fallen on hard times and the authorities find hundreds of dogs living in squalor and misery.
Obviously, rescuers have proudly shipped off their rescues to these places. They have 'pulled' them from the death list and sent them to a 'sanctuary'.
This author, at the risk of scorn from her fellows, honestly asks about our priorities in these situations and what is actually best for the animal.
I have included a piece of it; reading the entire article gives her view more understanding.
=============================

We are so invested in the misunderstood idea of “no kill” that we will do anything to postpone the death of the animals we care for. And so the dogs and cats get shipped out across the country or driven across the state, packed with their paperwork and all of our hopes that there really is a happy ending out there for every single animal. And then they wait. In kennels and cages for months, then years. 23 to 24 hours a day in their kennels. No family to call their own. Warehoused and tucked away from the world
Alive. But not living.

We’ve passed the work onto someone else. And then, when those people crumbled under the weight of the pile we have swept upon them, we turn our fingers on them and say they’re the monsters.
I’ve come to think that we’re all just different parts of one dangerously ill body.

One part of this sick body is the public and our expectations of what no-kill sanctuaries can do for our pets. If you own a pet that you feel you cannot keep, please know this: you are your pet’s best resource. Very few people will care more than you about the outcome of your pet’s life than you. Invest your time and energy into properly managing, training, or seeking vet care for your pets. If that does not work, think very hard about whether or not your pet will be able to withstand the intense stressors of life in a lonely kennel, particularly if you are looking at a sanctuary. There are no easy answers or quick fixes out there.
I believe that the most loving thing we can do for animals is to stand with them until the very end. Sometimes the end is providing excellent life-time management, sometimes it’s rehoming them, sometimes it’s finding a good shelter or rescue that has a committed staff or volunteers, but sometimes the end is death. Putting them to sleep, in your arms, can be the greatest act of love you give to your pet. You are giving them an end with dignity. We need to consider this as part of our responsibility to our pets.

Before I go on, I’d like to make this clear: I believe in shelters and rescues and I’m all for “no kill” when it’s done with the quality of an animal’s life in mind. I believe many, many places are doing good, responsible work and that the public should be encouraged to bring their pets to these places, if they cannot care for them any longer, so that the pets have a chance at a new life. I’m not trying to scare anyone away from surrendering a pet to a shelter or rescue. What I’m talking about in this blog is our responsibility to animals, how we all contribute to this mess, and the misunderstood idea that saving an animal means just keeping them alive.

If you are a rescuer: saving an animal doesn’t end at pulling them off the euthanasia list or picking them off the street. If you cannot commit to the process of housing, managing, adopting out, and providing owner support to the pet that you are “rescuing”, then you need to examine what it means to “save” an animal. The glory of pulling a dog from the “to be killed” list isn’t the end zone. The real success comes when the pet is in a home that you or your group is providing ongoing support for. If you can’t do that, do not point fingers that no one will help you. You committed to caring for this animal, once you saved it, so the animal is now your responsibility. See it through, even if in the end, there is no glory
Cats and dogs live in the moment. They are not burdened with thinking about the future. That is our load, as humans, to bear for them. Instead of passing their suffering along to someone else, in an attempt to relieve ourselves of the psychological pain of euthanizing an animal or the physical discomfort of having to do the difficult work of management and foster care, I beg you to carry the weight for them. Do the hard work. But, if you cannot place them directly in another home, if you cannot provide the care they need to stay sane and healthy in a long term, no-kill shelter environment, if you cannot manage them safely around others, if they are suffering, you must take responsibility for their life: Love them until the very last minute and let them go.

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/07/2...sanctuary/
PETA, who loves animals, feels it's more humane to put unwanted pets to death than to force them to live like this. It's a hard concept to accept but perhaps the most loving thing we can do. It's a certainty the world has far more "pets" than can possibly be loved and cared for. Yet, stupid people insist on bringing more into the world on a continuing basis. It's a sad story, frankly.
PETA doesnt love animals; they love money, power, and noteriety. They also love harassing and intimidating true, legitimate animal welfare organizations who do not agree with PETA's lines of thought on how animals should be treated. PETA also loves to harass and intimidate private individuals who do actually love and properly care for their animals because they do not follow in lockstep with PETA's idealistic views.
No, PETA is not interested in animals, they are only interested in money and power. Anyone who has been on the recieving end of a "educational" campaign of PETA's can attest to that.
What has PETA done to you?

Edit: Not saying I necessarily agree with PETA's message, either - as I understand it, PETA doesn't even endorse eating insects, while so far at least, I'm happy if animals are raised and treated humanely right up to the point of humane death - I could be changed on that if I had to do it personally, I think. Still, I've admired how PETA stays pure to their message, and I haven't had any doubt that their hearts are in the right place even if you disagree with their message. That's why I want to know how you feel so wronged by them.
(07-23-2012, 10:14 AM)Smithcat Wrote: PETA doesnt love animals; they love money, power, and noteriety. They also love harassing and intimidating true, legitimate animal welfare organizations who do not agree with PETA's lines of thought on how animals should be treated. PETA also loves to harass and intimidate private individuals who do actually love and properly care for their animals because they do not follow in lockstep with PETA's idealistic views.
No, PETA is not interested in animals, they are only interested in money and power. Anyone who has been on the recieving end of a "educational" campaign of PETA's can attest to that.

Same old retort, ''they are in it for the money'' as if they were republicans. Do you actually think the Koch brothers are in it for America; they are in for the money.

PETA is is in it for the animals and they need money to advertise their message, it's as simple as that.
When my wife was in Portland attending the Oregon Commission for the Blind school 4 years ago, she was out doing an assignment in independent travel. She had her guide dog with her and was completing the required assignment when a peta "advocate" came up behind her, identified herself as a PETA adherent, and began asking about her guide. My wife is usually happy to share about how her guides have changed her life and allowed her more independence. She told this person her story, whereupon the woman began screaming "Animal abuser, animal abuser!" at her when told how her guide wears the harness to guide her around. Apparently, PETA sees the guide harness as somehow keeping the dog a "prisoner" and "forcing" it to work in an inhumane manner. The woman followed my wife for 2 blocks, all the while screaming at her, until a Portland PD bike officer intervened, and my wife was able to get back to the Commission office without any more difficulties. One of the other guide dog handlers at the Commission school had a PETA member actually try and take their guide from them, in an effort to "free" it from its life of "slavery".
PETA is opposed to all forms of specialized animal breeding, including the breeding of dogs in a closed-population pool specifically designed for producing high quality working dogs such as the breeding colony at Guide Dogs for the Blind. No pup ever whelped at the GDB kennel ever ends up in a shelter, at a rescue or in a "sanctuary" because of the strict regulations they have in place for their dogs, from birth to passing. The dogs bred by GDB are of superior health and quality due to the scientific methods they use for identifying sires and dams to be used for breeding. In the general population of Labrador Retrievers, the hip dysplasia rate is around 30%. One in three dogs will have some sort of hip problems. This is a genetic trait. In the dogs at GDB, they have practically eliminated the hip dysplasia rate to less than .001%, because of their stringent scientific breeding policies. Only 3 pups out of 1000 bred at GDB have had hip problems. They have had similar success with cataract and allergy issues as well. The closed population breeding colony produces superior dogs with fewer health issues because they do genetic screening and follow the lineage lines closely to eliminate potential adverse couplings which could result in genetic defects. PETA is opposed to this.
PETA wishes that all animals kept by humans be spayed or neutered, which would eliminate all forms of pets and animal husbandry. Only animals "in the wild" is PETA's ultimate goal.
When one delves deeply into PETA's mission, gets beyond the sensation-seeking stunts and headline grabbing "press releases", and actually realizes what their true stated goals are, there is no way a rational, sane person can support such an organization.
Quote:Leonard
PETA is is in it for the animals and they need money to advertise their message, it's as simple as that.

They may be in it for the animals but that doesn't mean they are not a bunch of idiot whackjobs.
It figures you would back them.
(07-23-2012, 11:15 AM)Smithcat Wrote: When my wife was in Portland attending the Oregon Commission for the Blind school 4 years ago, she was out doing an assignment in independent travel. She had her guide dog with her and was completing the required assignment when a peta "advocate" came up behind her, identified herself as a PETA adherent, and began asking about her guide. My wife is usually happy to share about how her guides have changed her life and allowed her more independence. She told this person her story, whereupon the woman began screaming "Animal abuser, animal abuser!" at her when told how her guide wears the harness to guide her around. Apparently, PETA sees the guide harness as somehow keeping the dog a "prisoner" and "forcing" it to work in an inhumane manner. The woman followed my wife for 2 blocks, all the while screaming at her, until a Portland PD bike officer intervened, and my wife was able to get back to the Commission office without any more difficulties. One of the other guide dog handlers at the Commission school had a PETA member actually try and take their guide from them, in an effort to "free" it from its life of "slavery".
PETA is opposed to all forms of specialized animal breeding, including the breeding of dogs in a closed-population pool specifically designed for producing high quality working dogs such as the breeding colony at Guide Dogs for the Blind. No pup ever whelped at the GDB kennel ever ends up in a shelter, at a rescue or in a "sanctuary" because of the strict regulations they have in place for their dogs, from birth to passing. The dogs bred by GDB are of superior health and quality due to the scientific methods they use for identifying sires and dams to be used for breeding. In the general population of Labrador Retrievers, the hip dysplasia rate is around 30%. One in three dogs will have some sort of hip problems. This is a genetic trait. In the dogs at GDB, they have practically eliminated the hip dysplasia rate to less than .001%, because of their stringent scientific breeding policies. Only 3 pups out of 1000 bred at GDB have had hip problems. They have had similar success with cataract and allergy issues as well. The closed population breeding colony produces superior dogs with fewer health issues because they do genetic screening and follow the lineage lines closely to eliminate potential adverse couplings which could result in genetic defects. PETA is opposed to this.
PETA wishes that all animals kept by humans be spayed or neutered, which would eliminate all forms of pets and animal husbandry. Only animals "in the wild" is PETA's ultimate goal.
When one delves deeply into PETA's mission, gets beyond the sensation-seeking stunts and headline grabbing "press releases", and actually realizes what their true stated goals are, there is no way a rational, sane person can support such an organization.

That's very interesting. I thought I'd read through all of PETA's philosophy, and that part didn't stick apparently.

I've more had the idea dogs and humans evolved together, in a mutually symbiotic relationship. I don't even make my dog wear a collar, and he's free to come and go at will. Most dogs seem to like serving, and they seem to appreciate having a "job" to do, too. You've given some interesting things to think about, thank you.
PonderThis mentioned PETA's opinion on this issue in passing and now you're talking about PETA.
The OP has NOTHING to do with PETA.
Many of us have been exposed to a situation where a pet is not adoptable and a 'no kill' situation is eagerly sought.
This animal rescuer presents another way to think about the long term effects of 'no kill' and presents another view, albeit controversial.
Is being alive in a cage the rest of it's life preferable to a loving death?
(07-23-2012, 11:15 AM)Smithcat Wrote: When my wife was in Portland attending the Oregon Commission for the Blind school 4 years ago, she was out doing an assignment in independent travel. She had her guide dog with her and was completing the required assignment when a peta "advocate" came up behind her, identified herself as a PETA adherent, and began asking about her guide. My wife is usually happy to share about how her guides have changed her life and allowed her more independence. She told this person her story, whereupon the woman began screaming "Animal abuser, animal abuser!" at her when told how her guide wears the harness to guide her around. Apparently, PETA sees the guide harness as somehow keeping the dog a "prisoner" and "forcing" it to work in an inhumane manner. The woman followed my wife for 2 blocks, all the while screaming at her, until a Portland PD bike officer intervened, and my wife was able to get back to the Commission office without any more difficulties. One of the other guide dog handlers at the Commission school had a PETA member actually try and take their guide from them, in an effort to "free" it from its life of "slavery".

I really liked your post, Smithcat. The only thing that would have made it better for me, would have been some documentation on some of the PETA beliefs and wishes.
(07-23-2012, 09:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I really liked your post, Smithcat. The only thing that would have made it better for me, would have been some documentation on some of the PETA beliefs and wishes.

Zipped
(07-23-2012, 09:27 PM)Clone Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 09:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I really liked your post, Smithcat. The only thing that would have made it better for me, would have been some documentation on some of the PETA beliefs and wishes.

Zipped

Perfectly valid request. It would add more weight to his story. Not polite enough? Personally, I'm not going to go and research PETA to validate his claims. So, I would have liked to see the creds.
Due to life-time behavioral problems and extenuating circumstances, i once had to have one of my perfectly otherwise healthy cats euthanized. Neighbors moved out without her and we kept her as long as we could, like 12 years.

Then we had to move 400 miles away.

She couldn't handle being in a cage for 20 seconds, let alone..I couldn't bear the thought of her sitting in a cage, even in a no-kill facility.
It was a no-win situation and a heart-breaking decision.
This was before the days of kitty Prozac, although I doubt it would help this cat, bless her tortoiseshelly heart.
(07-23-2012, 10:10 PM)Crazylace Wrote: Due to life-time behavioral problems and extenuating circumstances, i once had to have one of my perfectly otherwise healthy cats euthanized. Neighbors moved out without her and we kept her as long as we could, like 12 years.

She couldn't handle being in a cage for 20 seconds, let alone..I couldn't bear the thought of her sitting in a cage, even in a no-kill facility.
This was before the days of kitty Prozac, although I doubt it would help this cat, bless her tortoiseshelly heart.

SmilingSad
(07-23-2012, 10:09 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Perfectly valid request. It would add more weight to his story. Not polite enough? Personally, I'm not going to go and research PETA to validate his claims. So, I would have liked to see the creds.

No problem, I was just being bossy and trying to steer the conversation back to no-kill vs kill instead of PETA.

PETA is an extremely controversial subject on it's own!.
(07-23-2012, 10:10 PM)Crazylace Wrote: Due to life-time behavioral problems and extenuating circumstances, i once had to have one of my perfectly otherwise healthy cats euthanized. Neighbors moved out without her and we kept her as long as we could, like 12 years.

That must have been heart-wrenching. Lordy.
It sounds as though it was the wisest decision, though.
That's a hard one.
I always used to fight for no-kill...this one article grabbed me by the collar and forced me to really think about the difference between breathing and living.
Sometimes people don't have anything to add to the OP but another topic will spur off of it. If it hijacks a thread, a new thread would be in order, if not, if people are going with the new topic and the old fizzles out, well, it's just a natural course of conversation. Sometimes both conversations go on simultaneously. However, I've definitely posted things and have them go off in directions I never intended (ahem....who? Me???Neutral) and then been bothered that it veered off track.

My response to the OP: Spay/Neuter Spay/Neuter Spay/Neuter Spay/Neuter!!!!!!!! Except the guide dogs of course!Wink
(07-23-2012, 10:37 PM)Clone Wrote:

That must have been heart-wrenching. Lordy.
It sounds as though it was the wisest decision, though.
That's a hard one.
I always used to fight for no-kill...this one article grabbed me by the collar and forced me to really think about the difference between breathing and living.

Yes, and when we take in an animal companion, we take the responsibility for...my goodness almost for their journey. Some things we can't save them from.
(07-23-2012, 10:45 PM)Crazylace Wrote: Yes, and when we take in an animal companion, we take the responsibility for...my goodness almost for their journey. Some things we can't save them from.

I just saw the SOHS people announcing another saving train has arrived with 33 dogs from Nothern California. They rescue them from kill shelters and bring them up here for adoption.

At one time, in the recent past, I would have applauded the effort. Now? I'm not so sure. Perhaps the 33 become 'celebrities' in the adoption world, leaving others languishing in the cages?

I hope not.
[Image: 526519_10151948117890254_1312872401_n.jpg]