Dear Ponder: Have an Extra Plot of Land Up There?
Nothing big...just a nice little spot near the creek ? Big Grin

[Image: 394675_265655366877162_1873549721_n.jpg]

Want to build this cool tiny house? You can buy the kit, which includes just about everything from the built-in armoire and fold-down dining table, to the electric system (including LED lights) and trailer frame to haul it around for $32,500. If you contact the maker, he might just sell you the plan and maybe you could build it from scrap materials (or request that he does but he hand makes many items in this caravan). This photo and more are from: http://dreadnaughtdarling.com/the-fortune-cookie/
Purchase from: http://zylvardos.com/Images/Fortune%20Cookie/index.html
(07-27-2012, 07:19 PM)Clone Wrote: Nothing big...just a nice little spot near the creek ? Big Grin

Want to build this cool tiny house? You can buy the kit, which includes just about everything from the built-in armoire and fold-down dining table, to the electric system (including LED lights) and trailer frame to haul it around for $32,500. If you contact the maker, he might just sell you the plan and maybe you could build it from scrap materials (or request that he does but he hand makes many items in this caravan). This photo and more are from: http://dreadnaughtdarling.com/the-fortune-cookie/
Purchase from: http://zylvardos.com/Images/Fortune%20Cookie/index.html

I'll sell you a trailer you can live in for 500 bucks , then you would still have 32 thousand to by some land to put it on. And my trailer won't have a roof made out of kindling.Laughing
Hey! That's Snowlover and Pepper. BTW, the snowmobiles are behind the fence.
(07-27-2012, 07:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'll sell you a trailer you can live in for 500 bucks , then you would still have 32 thousand to by some land to put it on. And my trailer won't have a roof made out of kindling.Laughing

Nah, this has more soul.
Actually, I would just like it built on the ground without the wheels.
What a fabulous vacation, get away cottage.

We do have an appointment to look at a mobile home on Monday.
I think we have found a truly nice mobile home park with reasonable space rent. I just have no idea what to look for really...other than mold, which a recent paint job can cover up. I've been told to look around the water heater area, and under all the sinks for signs of warping.
Do people really hire an inspector for an 8000 dollar home?
I think we will!
(07-27-2012, 09:01 PM)Clone Wrote:
(07-27-2012, 07:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'll sell you a trailer you can live in for 500 bucks , then you would still have 32 thousand to by some land to put it on. And my trailer won't have a roof made out of kindling.Laughing

Nah, this has more soul.

I think we have found a truly nice mobile home park with reasonable space rent. I just have no idea what to look for really...other than mold, which a recent paint job can cover up. I've been told to look around the water heater area, and under all the sinks for signs of warping.
I think we will!

Yeah, mold is ugly stuff!
I don't know how to check for it. I'll bet TVg does. Wait for him to come slinking around. Laughing (If there is one thing he does NOT do it's slink...he stomps!) I think I'd also be concerned about the roof. One can always tear out stuff inside and make things livable, but the basic structure is so important. Hold it...you just said that. My bad.
Good luck with it.
(07-27-2012, 09:01 PM)Clone Wrote:

Nah, this has more soul.

I think we will!
Yeah that thing is nice, way cooler than any travel trailer. IMO the price is reediculousBig Grin

How much does an inspection cost? I would think that he could more than likely point out enough problems or immanent problems to arm you with enough information to negotiate the price down and at least cover the cost of the inspection.

I agree with a close look at the plumbing and a good look to see if previous leaks have damaged the floors.
But also you should now what condition the heating and air system is in, how old etc. To repair or replace is expensive. I hope you won't be going all electric but if so you should at least have a heat pump.
You want to know that the underneath of the trailer is insulated, including the ducts and that the fabric underneath is intact and not torn.
As far as electrical, the first thing to determine is that the branch circuit wiring is NOT aluminum. This was only allowed for a couple of years, sometime around 1976 and then it was banned. You can look it up.
Both electrical panels should be inspected. The one that is outside that feeds the mobile and the one inside.

I wonder if you are allowed to access the print out bar graph of the previous owners electric bills? That would say a lot about the insulation and efficiency of the heating system.

Good luckWink PS from the guy who's posts make people dumber Laughing
Quote: 'Wonky' pid=
I don't know how to check for it. I'll bet TVg does. I think I'd also be concerned about the roof. One can always tear out stuff inside and make things livable, but the basic structure is so important. Hold it...you just said that. My bad.
Good luck with it.

Good point about the roof. I have a travel trailer that has had so many different kinds of roof tar or seal crap on it over and over that I had to grind it off down to the metal before I could put on some new sealant.
This involved ladders walk planks and lots of work with a 4 in grinder with a wire brush. Way more work than was really worth it.
You also want to see if the roof is bowed down from people walking on them.They aren't really designed for that and a person should throw down some plywood to spread the load.
As far as structure most MH's I've seem hold up very well even years after being abandoned.
The doors are often worn out but it's actually easier that most people think to frame a new door in to a MH the same way you do in a stick built.
(07-27-2012, 09:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
I don't know how to check for it. I'll bet TVg does. I think I'd also be concerned about the roof. One can always tear out stuff inside and make things livable, but the basic structure is so important. Hold it...you just said that. My bad.
Good luck with it.

Good point about the roof. I have a travel trailer that has had so many different kinds of roof tar or seal crap on it over and over that I had to grind it off down to the metal before I could put on some new sealant.
This involved ladders walk planks and lots of work with a 4 in grinder with a wire brush. Way more work than was really worth it.
You also want to see if the roof is bowed down from people walking on them.They aren't really designed for that and a person should throw down some plywood to spread the load.
As far as structure most MH's I've seem hold up very well even years after being abandoned.
The doors are often worn out but it's actually easier that most people think to frame a new door in to a MH the same way you do in a stick built.

Hey TV, do you know of any device that will check for mold? One would think with all the new electronic stuff sniffing everything except girls bike seats, something would be out there. I guess a house inspector would know.
(07-27-2012, 09:47 PM)Wonky Wrote:
Good luck with it.

Hey TV, do you know of any device that will check for mold? One would think with all the new electronic stuff sniffing everything except girls bike seats, something would be out there. I guess a house inspector would know.

You don't know what mold looks like? Just go look in the mirror.
Good luck with it.

But mobiles use 2x3 lumber, and particle board for subfloor. An easy way to strip off old tar is with a little diesel fuel and a power washer. THEN you wire wheel and grind what's left.
Good luck with it.

Beats me. I got a can of stuff to kill the mold in my shower. It said on the can to use in a well ventilated area.
Really? If it was a well ventilated area there wouldn't be any freaking mold there in the first place.Razz
(07-27-2012, 09:57 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='219609' dateline='1343450599']
Good luck with it.

Quote:OL... But mobiles use 2x3 lumber, and particle board for subfloor

Yeah but you sure frame it in like a normal house and then you have some trim work to do. I've seen carpenters do it a couple times when they called be to remove wires.

Quote: An easy way to strip off old tar is with a little diesel fuel and a power washer. THEN you wire wheel and grind what's left.

This thing I worked on had layers. it had that silver stuff, it had roof mastic like rain patch and some kind of snow seal shitLaughingLaughing it was so think that when it cracked the cracks went through it all.
I actually did try some solvent, it worked somewhat but was a total mess. I didn't have a pressure washer at the time,( I do now) you are right that would have helped. Instead I did use my air compressor, 150 ponds of air helped a lot.

But basically it was a job I would never do again no matter what I used. If I ever had to do it again I would buy a rubber roof and cover the whole damn thing and then attach it with some kind of molding all the way around.

I eliminated all four of the overhead vents anyway.
(07-27-2012, 10:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Good luck with it.

Beats me. I got a can of stuff to kill the mold in my shower. It said on the can to use in a well ventilated area.
Really? If it was a well ventilated area there wouldn't be any freaking mold there in the first place.Razz

Hydrogen peroxide is a good inexpensive mold killer. It is the main ingredient in most of the over the counter stuff. Bleach doesn't kill it, it just discolors it.
(07-27-2012, 10:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Good luck with it.

LaughingLaughingLaughing
And if so funny, why am I crying?
"They" put us between a rock and a hard place so often when they want us to think they have a solution.

So, back to roof repairs. Something I know nothing about. (My solution? Cover it with a blue tarp from Harbor Freight. Embarrassed)
Another thing about some older mobiles is they don't have standard length bathtubs. I remodeled a bathroom in one and the remodel cost about as much as the whole damn thing when the guy bought it.
We shall see...thanks for all the input.
I'm leery of the fact she included two pictures of the kitchen, one of the living room and one outside.
One would think a picture of a bedroom or the bathroom would be included.

What this place has going for it is PEACE and QUIET. It's several miles out of town, in a rural setting. There's a horse ranch across the road with horses hanging out at the fence just waiting for an apple or two AND the only thing between the park and the river is a huge golfcourse-like meadow which belongs to the park and the river access is for home owners only. Not to mention it's all level and well paved, so I would have absolutely no excuse to not be out exercising...especially since we could actually have a dog there.

I don't care if the bathtub isn't the regular length, I just don't want a 10,000 dollar expense hitting us in the butt. I can live in old, I can't live in funky, falling down cold old.

The space rent is $345. w00t!
Quiet..I just don't know if I can live with all those old people, even though I am one! Laughing
I used to set up mobile homes for a few years, and worked for mobile home dealers too when I was young. Water (and other) problems are best seen by slithering under the trailer and looking from underneath. I don't know if you and/or your hubby will want to do that part or not though. Smiling
(07-28-2012, 12:45 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I used to set up mobile homes for a few years, and worked for mobile home dealers too when I was young. Water (and other) problems are best seen by slithering under the trailer and looking from underneath. I don't know if you and/or your hubby will want to do that part or not though. Smiling

How much do you charge for slithering? Smiling
I kid, I kid.
I'm sure there's someone who does that.
It's difficult waiting until Monday.
So many misgivings, but something seems 'right' about the whole thing.
The slithering part isn't really so bad, it's the fact it's generally so full of spider webs underneath there you have to use something to wipe them out of the air everywhere you go, and everything is covered in 20 years of fine settled dust. Sometimes they've been freaks about insects so the entire underneath reeks of pesticides too. Smiling
You can call the power company and see what the average bill for the address is to find out how much it runs. If you are thinking about buying it spend the money to have it inspected, or at least have a friend that can look at it for you also.