For the First Time in Olympic History
[Image: 599476_448299791867017_2093886467_n.jpg]
We need Olympic mud wrestling

For a good while, we weren't so close to this day, as we thought.
(07-28-2012, 12:18 PM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 599476_448299791867017_2093886467_n.jpg]

Damn. Not they are going to want to vote and smoke in public.
(07-29-2012, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote: Damn. Not they are going to want to vote and smoke in public.

And cuss! Eyebrows
I wonder if they handed out condoms to the female athletes too?
[Image: 564658_440732149283156_1105383234_n.jpg]
[Image: 149477339.jpg]
(07-29-2012, 07:37 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote: Damn. Not they are going to want to vote and smoke in public.

And cuss! Eyebrows

Laughing Yeah, and I'm cussin' too. I REALLY have to learn to proof read. The first word in the sentence should have been now. "Not" don't make a lot of sense. But, making sense is not my strong suit.
I don't have a strong suit.
But I've got a beat up old sport jacket with leather patches on the sleeves.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.
It's late (after 10:00 PM), and for old guys that's the middle of the night.
Two or three bottles of cough medicine and I'll sleep like a baby. You know, up every two hours.

Back to the Olympics. (I haven't had the Tee-Vee on for days, so haven't seen anything) My wife watches less than I, so she can't report anything either. I hope Bruce Jenner wins again.
and for the first time a little north korean chick is winning at swimming and by body lengths. Beating Ryan Lockes records. Must be doping all right.
(07-31-2012, 12:10 AM)Tiamat Wrote: and for the first time a little north korean chick is winning at swimming and by body lengths. Beating Ryan Lockes records. Must be doping all right.

Chinese. Smiling

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/s...-ye-shiwen
(07-31-2012, 07:31 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(07-31-2012, 12:10 AM)Tiamat Wrote: and for the first time a little north korean chick is winning at swimming and by body lengths. Beating Ryan Lockes records. Must be doping all right.

Chinese. Smiling

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/s...-ye-shiwen

LaughingBig Grin
http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_cir...ivas_.html

Quote:[font=Impact]NBC’s commentators fixated on the young women’s displays of emotion, taking particular note of reigning world champion Jordyn Wieber’s briefly tearful reaction to the news that she would not advance to the all-around final.

The obsession with "girlish" emotional expression didn’t stop there. Before the Russian team took to the floor, NBC screened a segment on the tradition of the diva in Russian gymnastics. “A diva can be temperamental,” Al Trautwig narrated. “Adulation is expected. There might be petulance to criticism.” Then, a clip of an interview with Alexander Alexandrov, the Russian coach: “Everybody is like diva. A little—nose up.” Trautwig then finished up by soberly noting that divas must learn the “difference between confidence and stubbornness.”

Good thing there are men on hand to rein them in, even if, as one of the announcers reveals later, the girls’ diva attitude makes Alexandrov (who is, you know, paid to be a coach) “miserable.”

The diva appellation is not new in gymnastics. As Meghan O’Rourke pointed out in Slate back in 2004, some athletes have relished the term, most notably Russia’s Svetlana Khorkina. But while Khorkina owned the label and spoke openly of her pride in it, her successors were labeled by a bunch of men without getting the opportunity to comment themselves. The whole thing read as paternalistic and, in the end, unnecessary.

That “these girls are very emotional,” as NBC’s Tim Daggett put it, should be neither here nor there. After all, when Michael Phelps and his teammates express diva-like torrents of emotion poolside, their whooping and grimacing—if it’s noticed at all—is deemed nothing more than uncomplicated masculine enthusiasm.

If we’re going to start policing an athlete's emotional responses during what is arguably the most important competition of her career, we should at least be equal in our application of the criteria. A young female gymnast is a diva for being a little self-possessed? Fine—then diamond-grilled Ryan Lochte is the biggest prima donna of them all.
[/font]