Crater Lake: My surprise
Not sure this warrants a separate Topic. Ah, what the hell.

So, you know how it goes. Every summer someone we know from California (or wherever) comes to town and we have to take 'em to Crater Lake. I walk to the viewpoint, look at it and see that's it a big blue lake. Deep they tell me. Takes about 30 seconds to see all that's there to see. Hey, it's beautiful, a treasure, a thing of beauty. But don't take long to see what it's all about. Not a Picasso.

Now, I give them a map and tell them have a good lunch. See ya later.

There is a road around the place called The Rim Drive. I always thought that was a really big deal: Drive around the rim and look at the lake from 15 different places, seeing the same thing. Like I really wanted to do that. Not.

Today I felt the need to fire up the motorcycle and get some wind in my face. Checked the weather, looked good, and decided to drive to Diamond Lake for lunch. I headed over highway 140, cut-off at Rocky Point, and rode to Fort Klamath to go through Crater Lake Park on the way to Diamond Lake. The weather was great. No wind. NO WIND! At Crater Lake, can you believe that? True. So I thought, what the hell, and decided to drive the extra 30 miles and do the Rim Drive.

And guess what? The Big Deal here is that the really great views look AWAY from the lake! Fantastic views! I mean, worth the drive, kind of views. I won't attempt to describe it, because if you have not been there I would not want to spoil the surprises. (And I don't have the prose skills anyhow) I really do recommend the experience.

So, don't be like me. Don't be a foo-foo head and ASSUME something that turns out to be just plain wrong. Try everything once. (No TVg, not THAT!)

That's it.

Wonky's big adventure. All by accident.

PS: Had a yummy spinach salad in the dinning room at the Hotel (Lodge?) at Diamond Lake. Nice room, looking out on the lake, and served by someone wearing a spotless white apron. Finished with a good cup of strong black coffee and a small rice pudding desert.
It's about time you got out of the home.....
Sounds like a lovely day, Wonky!
I would imagine it's a little cooler up there, yes?
When you're riding the motorcycle, does it almost feel as though you become one with the bike?
I've had that experience with good handling sports cars but have never driven a motorcycle.
(08-03-2012, 07:55 PM)Clone Wrote: Sounds like a lovely day, Wonky!
When you're riding the motorcycle, does it almost feel as though you become one with the bike?
I've had that experience with good handling sports cars but have never driven a motorcycle.

One does not drive a bike.... one rides a bike. Hang on and enjoy the ride. insert smiley of choice
(08-03-2012, 07:53 PM)Larry Wrote: It's about time you got out of the home.....

Hey smart ass! Let's see YOU get by old "Nurse Ratchet" at the front desk. I had to set a fire in the waste paper basket again, and I think I've about used up that ploy. Damn shame, I missed cold chicken pot pie for lunch...served with warm iced tea, and a four year old mint.

Your'e time a 'comin' young fella. Big Grin
(08-03-2012, 07:57 PM)Larry Wrote: insert smiley of choice

Razz
(08-03-2012, 07:59 PM)Clone Wrote:

Razz

See Cloney, Larry is a young stud swaggering his way through life, so he rides a bike. I'm a mature gentleman (a motorcyclist, not a biker) and I do ride them, but I drive them too. When one never exceeds 30 MPH, a lot of driving is necessary. Smiling
(08-03-2012, 08:04 PM)Wonky Wrote: See Cloney, Larry is a young stud swaggering his way through life, so he rides a bike. I'm a mature gentleman (a motorcyclist, not a biker) and I do ride them, but I drive them too. When one never exceeds 30 MPH, a lot of driving is necessary. Smiling

Wink Happy
I am thinking tomorrow, with the extreme heat, a ride to Crater Lake Rim sounds pretty good.
(08-03-2012, 08:23 PM)Larry Wrote: I am thinking tomorrow, with the extreme heat, a ride to Crater Lake Rim sounds pretty good.

I'm thinkin' Brookings, myself.
(08-03-2012, 08:04 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 07:59 PM)Clone Wrote:

Razz

See Cloney, Larry is a young stud swaggering his way through life, so he rides a bike. I'm a mature gentleman (a motorcyclist, not a biker) and I do ride them, but I drive them too. When one never exceeds 30 MPH, a lot of driving is necessary. Smiling

I have gone riding with the Wonkmeister. Don't let him fool ya. He's an old school biker.
(08-03-2012, 08:24 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 08:23 PM)Larry Wrote: I am thinking tomorrow, with the extreme heat, a ride to Crater Lake Rim sounds pretty good.

I'm thinkin' Brookings, myself.

A nice 2nd choice.
you've never been? a lot cooler is more accurate. and world class stunning.

It really is a great ride. Gas can be a problem depending on how you go. They do have gasoline just inside the park...Regular only. If you go, be safe, and enjoy the wonder of our great part of the state.

(Temp's picked up a LOT about the time I dropped around Lost Creek Lake. Very nice at CL and Diamond)
(08-03-2012, 08:26 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Mmmmm?
(08-03-2012, 08:26 PM)bbqboy Wrote: you've never been? a lot cooler is more accurate. and world class stunning.

Yes, I've been...a few times.
But hubby hasn't...I've been thinking more about a September run up there.
I would imagine everything is much less crowded.
(08-03-2012, 08:33 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Mmmmm?

"World Class Stunning" pretty much does it for me. Perfect.
(08-03-2012, 08:37 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Mmmmm?

So does code.Smiling
(08-03-2012, 08:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 08:37 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Mmmmm?
o

So does code.Smiling
offer still stands
(08-03-2012, 08:47 PM)bbqboy Wrote: offer still stands

Sounds like an offer you can't refuse, Tiamat! Big Grin