Alarms Sound over World Food Supply
You might be right on the spelling.
The leaf is strong and very soft.
(08-13-2012, 04:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, btw, Clone, I see that Bi Mart has their 14.5 oz tomatoes (paradisio) for .79 a can and corn and green beans (Santiam) for .50. Good if you want to stock up, and unless you are brand loyal to S & W (which is a good brand) beats the Fred Meyer price.Wink

Thanks for the tip, Tiamat!
I did already get 20 S&W, I'm pretty loyal.
Mabe I should get some Santiam whole tomatoes, eh?

So, now, do I use the stuff I bought, or save them for later. Laughing

Rotate, rotate, rotate
Tiamat....
I was looking at organic food on Amazon; I have Prime until the 20th (you get it free for a month when you buy a Kindle).

They sell that Texmatic long grain brown rice in 36 oz plastic jars, 4 of them.
I would get free two day shipping.

So, with this freezing thing you suggest....would I just put the containers in the freezer for a couple days and then move them to a cupboard?

Thanks!
[Image: 386867_452200231480032_90900560_n.jpg]
(08-11-2012, 04:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Back to the subject, Food is not the only thing you need to stockpile. think about medicine and bandages.
Quote:Ten Unconventional Additions to Your Emergency Medical Kit

http://readynutrition.com/resources/ten-..._08082012/
Quote:DUCT TAPE
A DOZEN MIXED SIZE CLEAR PLASTIC BAGS
SANITARY PADS
HALF A DOZEN STRONG TEA BAGS
STRONG SMELLING VAPOUR RUB
A SECTION OF BICYCLE TYRE INNER TUBE
AN EMPTY SODA BOTTLE
A PAIR OF ADULT OVER THE KNEE SOCKS

That is an incomplete list. Here are some crucial items to add:

Wine
Wine glasses
Corkscrew
Frozen pizza

Big Grin
(08-13-2012, 05:14 PM)chuck white Wrote: Be sure to grow mullen in your garden,
It is a great natural TP
[Image: P1010059_640x480.jpg]

Toilet paper? Twitch
(08-11-2012, 07:35 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-11-2012, 06:20 PM)tornado Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 04:21 PM)Clone Wrote: But, seriously folks, this is truly happening.
A world-wide 6% increase in food prices is extraordinary.
Serious stuff.
If this is somehow combined with a fuel shortage we're basically in a crisis situation.
Stock up NOW.

You sound like a Mormon. I hope you will be donating a generous portion to the spawn of the poor.

tornado, darlin', with all due respect:

PUT A SOCK IN IT

Laughing
(08-15-2012, 11:26 PM)Clone Wrote: Tiamat....
I was looking at organic food on Amazon; I have Prime until the 20th (you get it free for a month when you buy a Kindle).

So, with this freezing thing you suggest....would I just put the containers in the freezer for a couple days and then move them to a cupboard?

Thanks!

That's what I do. Seems to do the trick. If the dry goods seem to be sitting on the shelf a while, unused, I refreeze them, because I get those annoying little moths that seem to be able to chew right through boxes and bags and get in to them. I decant a lot of stuff into jars though. AFTER freezing them. A lot of people grocery shop on amazon.
The pie berries will occupy all of the freezer. I'll juice gallons, but canned pie filling doesn't really satisfy. Maybe it's time to look at a locker. Either that, or I have to can the salmon, too. In a few months, I'll fall down in the recliner, and the alarm will go off. To let me know another summer got past me.
(08-17-2012, 06:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 11:26 PM)Clone Wrote: Tiamat....

Thanks!

That's what I do. Seems to do the trick. If the dry goods seem to be sitting on the shelf a while, unused, I refreeze them, because I get those annoying little moths that seem to be able to chew right through boxes and bags and get in to them. I decant a lot of stuff into jars though. AFTER freezing them. A lot of people grocery shop on amazon.

When we lived in the Bahamas, everything had to go into Tupperware-like containers to keep out the bugs. Flour, sugar, cereal, rice, etc. were put into containers immediately. If I found weevils in my flour, I tossed it out and bought a new bag. My British friend who spent many years in Africa thought that was funny. She froze hers and sifted out the weevils afterwards. TwitchEek!
Yep, I'm ordering this today. I'll get four of these 36oz containers. That's a lot of rice for a basically two person household...and it's already in a sealed container!
Thanks, Tiamat!

[Image: 71MxNsu9jNS._AA1362_.jpg]