Experts Say Big Earthquake Imminent
(08-19-2012, 11:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Big earthquake comes, causes severe inter and infra structural damage, not just to your home but the surrounding community at large. You have damaged buildings, cell phone and land line communications go down. The stores have been picked clean. Getting up and "normal" again will be at least a week if not two or three. What's your next step?

Have a few hundred dollars in $20 bills or less...the ATM's will be down.
Perhaps some gasoline in a safe storage?
The gas pumps won't work.
Never let your car's gas gauge get under 1/2 full.
Fire up the generator, which is already in place with its own electrical panel that keeps critical items powered, such as the well pump, refrigerator and freezer. Put coffee on the wood stove. Turn on the computer connected to satellite internet. Not much different than normal. Smiling
Quote: Tiamat

RE: Experts Say Big Earthquake Imminent
Well we could change the name of the thread to : What have you done to get prepared for an emergency this week? I'd have to go count them, but I'm thining about 20 gallons of water is stocked. Not sure how much is enough. Some is not necessarily for drinking but other uses. And bleach for disinfecting.

Quote: Clone

RE: Experts Say Big Earthquake Imminent
Water is a problem for us due to lack of space.
We have 4 five gallon plastic containers out in the carport for toilet flushing.

I've said this before but I don't know if anyone remembers or paid but Your hot water tank is 52 gallons of clean water that will be there even if the power goes out.
Or if you have a well like me you will have another 50 to 80 gallons of water in the wells pressure tank.
Also if your well water level is not too low, like mine you can use a piece of pipe with a check valve and pump water from your well by hand.
(08-20-2012, 04:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Fire up the generator, which is already in place with its own electrical panel that keeps critical items powered, such as the well pump, refrigerator and freezer. Put coffee on the wood stove. Turn on the computer connected to satellite internet. Not much different than normal. Smiling

Generators are great but require a lot of fuel if you plan on running them 24 hours a day for weeks. And that's what you would have to do to keep refrigerators and freezers running.
I keep a flashlight in my bedside table. Also, I keep slippers nearby. If there is any broken glass around, I don't want to be scrambling around looking for shoes.
NOTHING hangs on the walls above any of our beds. No mirrors, pictures or iron sculptures which can fall onto the bed. No bookcases near the beds either, for the same reason.
(08-20-2012, 09:33 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 04:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Fire up the generator, which is already in place with its own electrical panel that keeps critical items powered, such as the well pump, refrigerator and freezer. Put coffee on the wood stove. Turn on the computer connected to satellite internet. Not much different than normal. Smiling

Generators are great but require a lot of fuel if you plan on running them 24 hours a day for weeks. And that's what you would have to do to keep refrigerators and freezers running.

They don't have to run 24 hours a day to stay cold as long as you're not opening the doors all the time, and I stockpile diesel, too. Smiling
(08-20-2012, 11:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 09:33 AM)tvguy Wrote:

They don't have to run 24 hours a day to stay cold as long as you're not opening the doors all the time, and I stockpile diesel, too. Smiling

Ok but I still think that if we are talking about any significant amount of time with out power refrigeration is no where near as sensible as canned food or freeze dried food.

If you have a diesel generator it more than likely is a high wattage unit. So running that off and on however long you need to keep your food cold is just not going to be very efficient.
I have a 7200 watt gas generator and an 18,000 watt diesel generator. I could run the neighborhood. Smiling
(08-20-2012, 03:28 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I have a 7200 watt gas generator and an 18,000 watt diesel generator. I could run the neighborhood. Smiling

vroooom vrooooom Eyebrows
I am looking at a propane generator.
Cost of propane and ability to store a large volume is attractive
(08-20-2012, 04:51 PM)chuck white Wrote: I am looking at a propane generator.
Cost of propane and ability to store a large volume is attractive

You guys are lame, I'm going to get one that runs off of electricity.
(08-20-2012, 09:56 AM)TennisMom Wrote: I keep a flashlight in my bedside table. Also, I keep slippers nearby. If there is any broken glass around, I don't want to be scrambling around looking for shoes.
NOTHING hangs on the walls above any of our beds. No mirrors, pictures or iron sculptures which can fall onto the bed. No bookcases near the beds either, for the same reason.

Don't forget a robe Big Grin
(08-19-2012, 10:06 PM)Clone Wrote: Water is a problem for us due to lack of space.
We have 4 five gallon plastic containers out in the carport for toilet flushing.

Water filters are the answer. you can store a small water filter that can filter 1000 gallons of creek water.
Not everybody lives on a crick. Smiling

P.S. I've run my diesel engines on straight vegetable oil, especially canola oil in the past. It works pretty acceptably well.
(08-20-2012, 08:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Not everybody lives on a crick. Smiling

P.S. I've run my diesel engines on straight vegetable oil, especially canola oil in the past. It works pretty acceptably well.

After the revolution, we can run it on what diesels were designed to run on. Hemp oil.
(08-20-2012, 07:12 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 10:06 PM)Clone Wrote: Water is a problem for us due to lack of space.

Water filters are the answer. you can store a small water filter that can filter 1000 gallons of creek water.

Should yuo have a creek. I always think linkys are nice with such a comment. Just me.Embarrassed
(08-21-2012, 09:45 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 07:12 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Should yuo have a creek. I always think linkys are nice with such a comment. Just me.Embarrassed

Yep, I would like to see the link too,from what I've read filters are not 100% safe, and that you should boil the water to be sure all MICRO organisms are killed.
(08-20-2012, 06:45 PM)oregon 67 Wrote: Don't forget a robe Big Grin

I keep one on the floor near the bed! LaughingLaughing
Quote:Oregon Coast residents stash tsunami survival kits on high ground
http://www.kcby.com/news/local/Oregon-Co...17386.html

Quote:CANNON BEACH, Ore. (AP) — What does one stash for a tsunami? Residents of Cannon Beach are thinking about that.

They're planning to store drums full of survival gear far enough inland and high enough to be safe if the big one hits the Oregon coast and sends a tsunami wave ashore.
(08-19-2012, 11:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Big earthquake comes, causes severe inter and infra structural damage, not just to your home but the surrounding community at large. You have damaged buildings, cell phone and land line communications go down. The stores have been picked clean. Getting up and "normal" again will be at least a week if not two or three. What's your next step?

Roll a big fat doobie and sit and watch.

Sorry. It's really serious stuff, I know. I'm just too damn dumb to really care. What I fear most is not having milk duds.