Experts Say Big Earthquake Imminent
Quote: Grants Pass

A 4.5 earthquake rattled off the coast near Newport Thursday... and Wednesday there was a 4 point nine quake in the same location.

Professor Harry Smedes has over 50 years in the field, and says it's not 'if' a big quake will hit.... but when. "I'm 85 and I think this thing is going to happen in my life time."

Concern has ramped up. Experts say a magnitude 9 earthquake is due. Smedes says, "The last one was in the 17 hundreds, we know that from Japanese record. That was 312 years ago. "
http://www.kobi5.com/component/zoo/item/...inent.html
Clone's thread might be relevant here.
(08-13-2012, 08:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Clone's thread might be relevant here.

Nothing about clone is ever relevant, anywhere.
(08-13-2012, 09:51 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(08-13-2012, 08:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Clone's thread might be relevant here.

Nothing about clone is ever relevant, anywhere.

Sigh. The thread, not the poster.
[quote='chuck white' pid='223789' dateline='1344914815']
[quote] Grants Pass

A 4.5 earthquake rattled off the coast near Newport Thursday... and Wednesday there was a 4 point nine quake in the same location.

Professor Harry Smedes has over 50 years in the field, and says it's not 'if' a big quake will hit.... but when. "I'm 85 and I think this thing is going to happen in my life time."

Concern has ramped up. Experts say a magnitude 9 earthquake is due. Smedes says, "The last one was in the 17 hundreds, we know that from Japanese record. That was 312 years ago. "[/quote]

Yes, everything I've read says the Pacific Northwest is due for a big earthquake sometime in the next century or two (and maybe today) too.

However, what do these current earthquakes have to do with that? If anything, you could take these little quakes as a sign the pressure is being dissipated a little bit at a time instead of all at once. Or, you could just say quakes happen, which also would be a true statement. I'm not seeing the correlation of these recent quakes and the "big one", and coming from a science guy like you I'd be expecting to see some connection???
So, more info please?
(08-13-2012, 10:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: [quote='chuck white' pid='223789' dateline='1344914815']

Concern has ramped up. Experts say a magnitude 9 earthquake is due. Smedes says, "The last one was in the 17 hundreds, we know that from Japanese record. That was 312 years ago. "

Yes, everything I've read says the Pacific Northwest is due for a big earthquake sometime in the next century or two (and maybe today) too.

However, what do these current earthquakes have to do with that? If anything, you could take these little quakes as a sign the pressure is being dissipated a little bit at a time instead of all at once. Or, you could just say quakes happen, which also would be a true statement. I'm not seeing the correlation of these recent quakes and the "big one", and coming from a science guy like you I'd be expecting to see some connection???

The quakes we have been having are at other locations along the fault, each one adds more pressure to the plate which is locked up off our coast.

But if it happens, it's not my 'Fault'
(08-13-2012, 08:26 PM)chuck white Wrote:

http://www.kobi5.com/component/zoo/item/...inent.html

I know Harry. Plans on living 'till he is 312.

But seriously: I lived in the south bay, of the SF Bay Area for many years. Not far from Hollister, the "earthquake capitol of the world". The nearby Salinas newspaper once posted a headline reporting that there was NO earthquake in Hollister yesterday.

We kind of got used to them in that part of the world. But, like "The Spanish Inquisition " in Monty Python, no one gets used to the big ones.
We should be prepared.
So, we can bring up Clone's topic about world hunger and apply the things learned there.
Because, yeah, one's a commin'
(08-14-2012, 11:18 AM)Wonky Wrote: [quote='chuck white' pid='223789' dateline='1344914815']

I know Harry. Plans on living 'till he is 312.

But seriously: I lived in the south bay, of the SF Bay Area for many years. Not far from Hollister, the "earthquake capitol of the world". The nearby Salinas newspaper once posted a headline reporting that there was NO earthquake in Hollister yesterday.

We kind of got used to them in that part of the world. But, like "The Spanish Inquisition " in Monty Python, no one gets used to the big ones.
We should be prepared.
So, we can bring up Clone's topic about world hunger and apply the things learned there.
Because, yeah, one's a commin'

Did you get to see the lasers shoot across the Valley to measure the movement of the mountains.

So.. within a couple of weeks?
Quote: 'PonderThis'

"Due"? They're earth quakes not trainsRazz

Quote:However, what do these current earthquakes have to do with that? If anything, you could take these little quakes as a sign the pressure is being dissipated a little bit at a time instead of all at once. Or, you could just say quakes happen, which also would be a true statement. I'm not seeing the correlation of these recent quakes and the "big one", and coming from a science guy like you I'd be expecting to see some connection???

I guess if you were waiting 85 years for the big one you would also think one is dueSmiling
This is from memory, but major earthquakes have appeared in the Pacific Northwest geologically every 200-500 years or so throughout the past. One of the ways they know this is tsunami marks up the Columbia River occurring that often. At least, what I think I remember. Earthquakes aren't one of my specialties, but I always think of these things when I'm building as a hobby builder. Smiling
Don't forget the strong earthquake, magnitude of 7.5 that struck off the eastern Russian coast to the north of Japan yesterday. I think the depth was 339 miles below the crust so it didn't create a tsunami.
(08-14-2012, 08:07 PM)Leonard Wrote: Don't forget the strong earthquake, magnitude of 7.5 that struck off the eastern Russian coast to the north of Japan yesterday. I think the depth was 339 miles below the crust so it didn't create a tsunami.

Earthquake/Solar Flare Predictions: August 12-18, 2012
Posted 8-11

http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...?tid=11205
Quote:added 8/14/2012 @ 23:00 UTC
Partial Halo Coronal Mass Ejections
Two partial halo and slow moving Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) were observed by STEREO Ahead COR2 today and each may impact our planet by August 17.
http://www.solarham.net/

Quote:A magnitude 7.7 earthquake that hit waters off Russia's Pacific island of Sakhalin on Tuesday inflicted no casualties or damage, Russian officials said.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry's branch on Sakhalin said the quake was centered in the Sea of Okhotsk about 100 miles east of Poronaysk, Russia, at a depth of more than 373 miles.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake, which struck at 1 p.m. local time Tuesday, had a magnitude of 7.7, while the Russian ministry put it at 6.3.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story...57042446/1
Most places have something which make it hazardous. If it isn't earthquakes, it's extreme weather, drought, floods, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes or other natural disasters. IOW, there is something that sucks about everywhere. Pick your poison.
I asked my wife if "the earth moved".
She said and earthquake takes more than 2 minutes. Sad
After returning from NY, I must say it was nice to get back to Oregon. Summer is so hot here for a few weeks but summer is hot AND HUMID back there for weeks on end. The humidity drove us inside the air-conditioned house. It was even too hot and uncomfortable to sit on the beach on some days. Our little patch in Oregon has great weather but I still think winter lasts a bit too long but at least we don't go into a deep-freeze.

So, we will head south in our Airstream for a few weeks in the winter to get some sun and head over to the coast in summer for some relief from the heat. Sometimes it takes going away to realize what a good place you are in already. Smiling

As long as we don't get any earthquakes. Eek!
Well we could change the name of the thread to : What have you done to get prepared for an emergency this week? I'd have to go count them, but I'm thining about 20 gallons of water is stocked. Not sure how much is enough. Some is not necessarily for drinking but other uses. And bleach for disinfecting.

What's next on the list of preparedness.
Water is a problem for us due to lack of space.
We have 4 five gallon plastic containers out in the carport for toilet flushing.
Big earthquake comes, causes severe inter and infra structural damage, not just to your home but the surrounding community at large. You have damaged buildings, cell phone and land line communications go down. The stores have been picked clean. Getting up and "normal" again will be at least a week if not two or three. What's your next step?