Mississippi wins again
congratulations....Cool
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/15/what...cle-latest
This week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its annual report detailing obesity rates throughout the 50 states. For the sixth year in a row, Mississippi cinched the top spot: according to results from the study, nearly 34.9% of its population is obese.

On the other end of the spectrum, Colorado is America’s skinniest state — just 20.7% of the population ranks as overweight there. According to the center, about 35.7% of all American adults are obese.

(MORE: U.S. Obesity Rates Remain Stubbornly High)

Overall, certain regions of the country fared better than others. For example, the West came in with the lowest rates of obesity, followed by the Northeast, the Midwest and then the South. The Los Angeles Times reported that:

The South had the highest prevalence of obesity – with several states among the 12 that are in the over-30% category: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia.
(MORE: Severely Obese Kids Have Heart Disease Risk Factors as Early as Age 2)

The top 10 chubbiest states in the U.S. are:

Mississippi
Louisiana
West Virginia
Alabama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri
(08-15-2012, 06:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: congratulations....Cool
This week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released its annual report detailing obesity rates throughout the 50 states. For the sixth year in a row, Mississippi cinched the top spot: according to results from the study, nearly 34.9% of its population is obese.

On the other end of the spectrum, Colorado is America’s skinniest state — just 20.7% of the population ranks as overweight there. According to the center, about 35.7% of all American adults are obese.

Overall, certain regions of the country fared better than others. For example, the West came in with the lowest rates of obesity, followed by the Northeast, the Midwest and then the South. The Los Angeles Times reported that:

The South had the highest prevalence of obesity – with several states among the 12 that are in the over-30% category: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia.

Mississippi
Louisiana
West Virginia
Alabama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri

Sad. These are troubled parts of the country where poverty is a "disease". Folks who eat poorly do so for a number of reasons, chief among them is ignorance about the subject. Greens, a bit of chicken, and an occasional treat works wonders.
(08-15-2012, 07:01 PM)Wonky Wrote: Sad. These are troubled parts of the country where poverty is a "disease". Folks who eat poorly do so for a number of reasons, chief among them is ignorance about the subject. Greens, a bit of chicken, and an occasional treat works wonders.

Yeah, right.

When my WVa mother began noticing biscuits and gravy being sold in restaurants, it surprised her to no end.
You see, she grew up in WV, with a dad who worked for the railroad and many times wasted away his paycheck on liquor and women before he ever made it home on payday.

When they did have money for food, her mom always bought big sides of bacon and big bags of white flour. They did have a milk cow.

When there was no money, her mother, who had 7 kids would get up in the morning and make 'poorhouse gravy' and biscuits. 'Poorhouse gravy' is milk gravy made with bacon grease and flour.

My mom and her siblings would have biscuits and poorhouse gravy for breakfast, and pack biscuits and cold gravy for lunch at school. They would then have more biscuits and gravy for dinner.

This is how poor folks have to eat, Wonky.
Especially when you have a bunch of kids in the house who need to get filled up.
Yes, they need to learn nutrition...but white flour goes a long way..so does bacon grease and lard to fill up.

You are blessed enough to have enough that you can appreciate a piece of lean chicken with some greens,

Many poor people just want to fill up. So they eat carbs and fat...that's what fills them up.

Yes, they had a veggie garden and they 'put up' a lot of the vegetables, but there was never enough for the whole winter.

Sometimes they actually had corn meal and could have cornmeal mush which we later discovered was called 'polenta' by gourmets. Smiling
(08-15-2012, 08:03 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 07:01 PM)Wonky Wrote: Sad. These are troubled parts of the country where poverty is a "disease". Folks who eat poorly do so for a number of reasons, chief among them is ignorance about the subject. Greens, a bit of chicken, and an occasional treat works wonders.

Yeah, right.

When my WVa mother began noticing biscuits and gravy being sold in restaurants, it surprised her to no end.
You see, she grew up in WV, with a dad who worked for the railroad and many times wasted away his paycheck on liquor and women before he ever made it home on payday.

When they did have money for food, her mom always bought big sides of bacon and big bags of white flour. They did have a milk cow.

When there was no money, her mother, who had 7 kids would get up in the morning and make 'poorhouse gravy' and biscuits. 'Poorhouse gravy' is milk gravy made with bacon grease and flour.

My mom and her siblings would have biscuits and poorhouse gravy for breakfast, and pack biscuits and cold gravy for lunch at school. They would then have more biscuits and gravy for dinner.

This is how poor folks have to eat, Wonky.
Especially when you have a bunch of kids in the house who need to get filled up.
Yes, they need to learn nutrition...but white flour goes a long way..so does bacon grease and lard to fill up.

You are blessed enough to have enough that you can appreciate a piece of lean chicken with some greens,

Many poor people just want to fill up. So they eat carbs and fat...that's what fills them up.

So what you're saying is, they can't afford McDonalds?
(08-15-2012, 08:06 PM)Larry Wrote: So what you're saying is, they can't afford McDonalds?

I'm not stuttering and I write in English.
Besides, what is McDonalds?
Carbs and grease.
It's how poor folks eat.
I will say here in OK some may have to do with the weather, when it starts out hot and sticky people do not want to get out. Then people get lazy because they get use to not exercising. I know when I do my grocery shopping I buy 8 gal of milk( that is all my fridge will hold) and a 20 pack of soda plus the juice (yes I buy real juice for the kids lunch not the fruit drinks), I buy my fresh stuff and meats, breads canned goods and 2 family size bags of chips for 2 weeks ( I make our cookies and the sweet stuff the kids eat), we end up having to get more milk and more fresh stuff. And when I am in line at the grocery store people make comments that they would love to eat at my house, I look at the junk in their carts they have the frozen pizza the junk food, and the sad part is that we generally spend the same amount for food and I have a full cart compared to them.

Now I do miss the skiing I use to do, there is none of that here. There isn't a whole lot of stuff to do outside here like hiking and stuff. My boys play sports so they are out doing things, but not everybody does that, also I am training for a 5k and my youngest wants to run it with me so we are working out together.
(08-15-2012, 09:11 PM)blondemom Wrote: I will say here in OK some may have to do with the weather, when it starts out hot and sticky people do not want to get out. Then people get lazy because they get use to not exercising. I know when I do my grocery shopping I buy 8 gal of milk( that is all my fridge will hold) and a 20 pack of soda plus the juice (yes I buy real juice for the kids lunch not the fruit drinks), I buy my fresh stuff and meats, breads canned goods and 2 family size bags of chips for 2 weeks ( I make our cookies and the sweet stuff the kids eat), we end up having to get more milk and more fresh stuff. And when I am in line at the grocery store people make comments that they would love to eat at my house, I look at the junk in their carts they have the frozen pizza the junk food, and the sad part is that we generally spend the same amount for food and I have a full cart compared to them.

Now I do miss the skiing I use to do, there is none of that here. There isn't a whole lot of stuff to do outside here like hiking and stuff. My boys play sports so they are out doing things, but not everybody does that, also I am training for a 5k and my youngest wants to run it with me so we are working out together.

Okay....?
(08-15-2012, 09:11 PM)blondemom Wrote: I will say here in OK some may have to do with the weather, when it starts out hot and sticky people do not want to get out. Then people get lazy because they get use to not exercising. I know when I do my grocery shopping I buy 8 gal of milk( that is all my fridge will hold) and a 20 pack of soda plus the juice (yes I buy real juice for the kids lunch not the fruit drinks), I buy my fresh stuff and meats, breads canned goods and 2 family size bags of chips for 2 weeks ( I make our cookies and the sweet stuff the kids eat), we end up having to get more milk and more fresh stuff. And when I am in line at the grocery store people make comments that they would love to eat at my house, I look at the junk in their carts they have the frozen pizza the junk food, and the sad part is that we generally spend the same amount for food and I have a full cart compared to them.

That's so good you do so well, blondemom!
I've just been around poor folk a lot of my life.
They've been eating the junk ever since white flour and white sugar.
I just felt they needed a bit of defending.
It's not like they're intentionally doing the wrong thing; they just
need to learn.
(08-15-2012, 09:28 PM)Clone Wrote:

need to learn.

And don't we all.
I'm now almost 40 years old (LaughingLaughingLaughing) and still fighting the good fight about nutrition. Just today in the MT (If it happened yesterday it's news to us) they are again telling us egg (yokes) are bad. I thought they reversed that 20 years ago. I eat more eggs than Cool Hand Luke and so will probably drop dead before I get fin
(08-15-2012, 09:41 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 09:28 PM)Clone Wrote:

need to learn.

And don't we all.
I'm now almost 40 years old (LaughingLaughingLaughing) and still fighting the good fight about nutrition. Just today in the MT (If it happened yesterday it's news to us) they are again telling us egg (yokes) are bad. I thought they reversed that 20 years ago. I eat more eggs than Cool Hand Luke and so will probably drop dead before I get fin

I know that is what I heard yesterday again. Wish they would make up their mind's. Like I said, a lot of it is how we were taught to eat and cook when we were kids. But we as a society have become more sedentary than we were 20 years ago.
We should rename our courthouse "Little MIssissippi". Or, send the judges packing.
Well Wonk we can thank Pres. Johnson for making eggs inexpensive. He directed the U.S. surgeon general to dampen demand by warning the nation about the hazards of cholesterol in eggs.
Problem solved. Too bad Americans started losing their eyesight but eggs were cheaper. (lutein)

The issues facing America are 99 cent meal deals. The plutocrats look to fast food to keep the price down as they bet on food and energy commodities and cause prices to rise. As the wealth is being redistributed to the top food riots and the resulting civil unrest threaten the wealthy. We are saved it we keep junk food within the reach of the poor, who have nothing and nothing to lose..Wink
(08-15-2012, 07:01 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-15-2012, 06:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: congratulations....Cool

Mississippi
Louisiana
West Virginia
Alabama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Missouri

Sad. These are troubled parts of the country where poverty is a "disease". Folks who eat poorly do so for a number of reasons, chief among them is ignorance about the subject. Greens, a bit of chicken, and an occasional treat works wonders.

I'm not sure what Clone saw about your post that deserved a "yeah right" and led on to her story of her mother getting by on very little money.

Maybe she saw it as offensive that you said southern people were ignorant on good diet. You are spot on about poverty being a key factor. But IMO poverty and ignorance go hand in hand and I think the ignorant part is the biggest reason why so many are fat.
I think you are both right to a degree. And the days of Clones mother are gone. People in this country who are poor are given food assistance and they don't have to choose fatty or sugar laden foods. But they do anyway.

Of course something that seems obvious is not mentioned and that's the fact that the state with the highest obesity rate is also the state with the most black people.
I believe blacks have a higher rate of obesity than whites whether its because of cultural food choices or genetics, I think it's both.

38% Percent of Mississippi's total population that was black in 2010. Mississippi led the nation in this category followed by Louisiana (33 percent), Georgia (32 percent), Maryland (31 percent), South Carolina (29 percent) and Alabama (27 percent).

Read more: African American Demographics, Population, Incomes, Veterans, Education, Voting — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmcensus...z23og6LqyC
(08-17-2012, 08:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: Of course something that seems obvious is not mentioned and that's the fact that the state with the highest obesity rate is also the state with the most black people.

I believe blacks have a higher rate of obesity than whites whether its because of cultural food choices or genetics, I think it's both.

It must have been great to have been born so lilly white and pure, compared to those minority hoards you continually blame for every ill of society. Ninja
Our elected officials, and public employees seem to hail from the lard belt. They grow round, waiting on Jesus, and The Robert E. Lee.
(08-17-2012, 08:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: Of course something that seems obvious is not mentioned and that's the fact that the state with the highest obesity rate is also the state with the most black people.

Hey, butt nugget.
I tried to explain how poor folks, blacks being the poorest folks, eat to fill up cheaply with carbs and grease.
Personally, you make me sick to my stomach.
"Of course something that seems obvious is not mentioned......"

Obvious to whom??????