Josephine County restores some of its jail capacity
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw..._some.html

Excerpt: "A southern Oregon county struggling with the end of federal timber subsidies has decided to restore some of the jail capacity it cut earlier this year when it turned loose nearly 40 inmates.

Josephine County will staff the jail to accommodate 69 inmates, up from 30, hiring a deputy and two monitoring technicians, The Grants Pass Daily Courier reported Thursday.

In the spring, the county cut capacity from 120 after voters rejected a $12 million-a-year property tax levy for law enforcement.
Restoring jail beds was part of a $400,000 package the county commissioners approved to bolster law enforcement for the current budget year. The money will also go for a full-time and part-time prosecutor.

The money comes from what so far appears to be the final payment in a long history of subsidies. Like other Oregon timber counties, Josephine has long relied on federal dollars to pay for county expenses, either through money divvied up from timber sales or from the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act..."
What people forget is that when the GWB Administration cut aid to the states, we were left holding the bag for costs like these. Lots of states are having a hard time trying to rustle up money to keep services going, some of them essential. I would consider jail an essential service.
(09-07-2012, 01:21 PM)TennisMom Wrote: What people forget is that when the GWB Administration cut aid to the states, we were left holding the bag for costs like these. Lots of states are having a hard time trying to rustle up money to keep services going, some of them essential. I would consider jail an essential service.

I am trying to remember how much warning was given that the funding was going to be cut.
I think they only gave them something like 5 years. Smiling
The forest, they hauled away, is recovering nicely. And, in 600 to 1000 years, this will be a moot point. Pubs and Dems, in concert, cheered the theft of our forests. And it was an example of Pubs being good for an economy. Just not our economy.
Maybe we can turn over some of them to JO GROW.
Pol Pot ran a means tested mulch program.