Ten SHTF Threats Not Prepared For by Preppers
(08-25-2012, 07:27 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-25-2012, 07:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Don't forget the stove.Smiling

We have a pretty good two-burner Insta-Start Coleman stove and I keep picking up propane bottles when they're on sale. We now have 8! LOL

Hey..maybe I should sell the kerosene heater on craigslist and just go with a propane heater. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gas can full of kerosene out in the car port.

I guess we can't move the fire pit from the backyard into the cottage, eh? Wink

Someone should quote me so Clone can hear me say that those tiny propane bottles are a total waste of money compared to LP gas in bulk.Big Grin

The little bottles are convenient for lanterns and such. There actually is a fitting you can buy to RE fill those things with your big tank.
Don't worry clone, I would never quote tv and subject you to his caustic attitude. Laughing

We have a pretty good two-burner Insta-Start Coleman stove and I keep picking up propane bottles when they're on sale. We now have 8! LOL

Hey..maybe I should sell the kerosene heater on craigslist and just go with a propane heater. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gas can full of kerosene out in the car port.

Well, crone, it might be good to identify what you are prepping for? is it a hedge against inflation? Then meat and perishables might be wise. Is it fear of a SHTF scenario? A katrina like affair? then prepare for the two week or 3 day at least scenario. Are you trying to prep for the zombie apocalypse? And what would that take?
A rabbit herd.
(08-25-2012, 11:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote: ....... Are you trying to prep for the zombie apocalypse? And what would that take?

htthttp://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/4steps/step2_e.jpg[/img]

The SODIS method is very easy to apply: A transparent PET bottle is cleaned with soap. Then, the bottle is filled with water and placed in full sunlight for at least 6 hours. The water has then been disinfected and can be drunk.

Important points to consider when applying the SODIS method

Material, colour and shape of the bottle
We recommend using PET bottles in the application of the SODIS method because they are light and do not break. They are also easy to obtain in many regions. However, glass bottles or special bags can also be used. PET bottles are usually labelled as such, but they are not called by the same name in all countries.

The bottles must be transparent and colourless. PET bottles often have a bluish tinge. This is not a problem. Heavily scratched bottles must be replaced.
The bottles must not hold more than 3 litres.

Turbidity
If the water is very turbid, the effectiveness of the method is reduced. It is very easy to determine whether the water is sufficiently clear:

The filled PET bottle must be placed on top of a newspaper headline. Now one must look at the bottom of the bottle from the neck at the top and through the water. If the letters of the headline are readable, the water can be used.
If the letters are not readable, the water must be filtered. This test corresponds to a turbidity of 30 NTU.
Factsheet Turbidity (EN, FR, ES)

Cloudiness
Cloudiness affects the strength of solar radiation and thus also the effectiveness of the method.

Rule of thumb:
•If less than half of the sky is clouded over, 6 hours will be enough to completely disinfect the water.
•If more than half of the sky is covered with clouds, the bottle must be placed in the sun for 2 consecutive days.

Rain
The method does not work satisfactorily during lengthy periods of rain. On these days, we recommend collecting rainwater.

Preventing recontamination
The treated water should be kept in the bottle and drunk directly from the bottle, or poured into a cup or glass immediately before it is drunk. In this way, it is possible to prevent the treated water from becoming contaminated again.
God won't get a minute of attention, until I have my berries in, and my Salmon caught. And, maybe not even then. I haven't got him even close to kicking ass. I programmed him to smote Dubya, and he took a leg off an orphan in the fourth century. So, he's back to taking names. Cause trouble in this county, and God will remember you. Cause trouble. anywhere, and it's the same deal. Repents better look convincing.
(08-25-2012, 07:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Someone should quote me so Clone can hear me say that those tiny propane bottles are a total waste of money compared to LP gas in bulk.Big Grin

The little bottles are convenient for lanterns and such. There actually is a fitting you can buy to RE fill those things with your big tank.

What is the "shelf life" of unused propane? I don't use it. I have one of those little stoves that I haven't tested yet.
(08-27-2012, 07:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-25-2012, 07:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What is the "shelf life" of unused propane? I don't use it. I have one of those little stoves that I haven't tested yet.

I honestly don't know. I have found stashed bottles of it that were still good. I have never found one that did not work, if it had propane in it.
(08-27-2012, 07:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: What is the "shelf life" of unused propane? I don't use it. I have one of those little stoves that I haven't tested yet.

It's more like the shelf life of the metal. The propane will keep for thousands of years.