About That Teaching a Man to Fish Thing?
(08-28-2012, 08:27 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My brother got the good fishing spots. with a stack of Watchtowers.

Such luck, sometimes it's hard to find leaves.
I just noticed that the targeted ad at the top of this thread is now for fishing reels.

Too funny.
(08-28-2012, 10:33 PM)Chris Wrote: I just noticed that the targeted ad at the top of this thread is now for fishing reels.

Too funny.

The other day we were discussing someting about the tea party and Republic of Tea came up.
I spent last week fishing and teaching one of my girlfriends how to fish. I didn't help her politically though because she already knew that 0bama voters are the entitlement parasites.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day,
Teach a man to fish and he's gone for the weekend.
Give a man a poisoned fish and
you feed him for life
(08-29-2012, 05:06 AM)Simon Peter Wrote: I spent last week fishing and teaching one of my girlfriends how to fish. I didn't help her politically though because she already knew that 0bama voters are the entitlement parasites.
tuna?
(08-28-2012, 08:10 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 05:44 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 05:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: If you teach a man to fish you have taught him how to be a low-level human and enjoy the willful torture of an animal for his own amusement.

Is that about right ponder?

Only if you keep throwing him back so you can do it over and over again. If you're doing it because you need the food and you're doing it humanely, that's a different matter.

Catch and Release is right up there with Horse Tripping.

You and Ponder really show your ignorance. if you don't know a damn thing about fishing you probably shouldn't act as if you do.

I can't think of ANY sport fishing where catch and release is not practiced.
By law you have to throw back fish that are too small, fish that are the wrong species. Fish that are native and not stocked.

The practice of catch and release that has become popular for bass fishermen means that tens of thousands of lakes all over the country have healthy populations of large and trophy size fish.
These sport fishermen make it much more possible for anyone who wants to take fish for food to be successful.

Only ignorant fools can find something wrong with that.
Are the fish tortured by having hooks poke through their mouths and being dragged ashore or into the boat repeatedly? Look at this from the animals perspective. Do you think they enjoy this? How about all the hooks that get swallowed, and either the line is cut off and the hook left inside or their guts get pulled out with the hooks? Just what is the mortality rate for fish that are thrown back for another go round???

I'm just not sure if you can see this from another creatures perspective. Apparently most other people can't either, but it seems obvious to me. I must be an ignorant fool. Smiling
(08-30-2012, 11:14 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Are the fish tortured by having hooks poke through their mouths and being dragged ashore or into the boat repeatedly? Look at this from the animals perspective. Do you think they enjoy this? How about all the hooks that get swallowed, and either the line is cut off and the hook left inside or their guts get pulled out with the hooks? Just what is the mortality rate for fish that are thrown back for another go round???

I'm just not sure if you can see this from another creatures perspective. Apparently most other people can't either, but it seems obvious to me. I must be an ignorant fool. Smiling

You are finally catching on. Laughing Why do you assume a fish feels pain in THEIR mouth just like you??
My freaking dog will chew on a wire brush. haven't you ever seen a shark smash their face in to steel cages or bite propellers??
Fish eat other fish, apparently they don't care one bit that the other fish have VERY sharp spines on their fins.
I caught the same steelhead twice in a row one time. The first time I reeled him right to the shore and he got off. I saw where he went, casted back and caught him again.
Was this fish a sadist or was the pain of being hooked either not there at all of insignificant?
How did you cook it?
That Why I fish with TNT, it knocks them out and they don't feel a thing.
I believe that analogy is between teaching a person to fish and teaching a person to think critically for themselves. Both make them less dependent on others.
Did I miss something?
(08-30-2012, 03:34 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I believe that analogy is between teaching a person to fish and teaching a person to think critically for themselves. Both make them less dependent on others.
Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed the real point. Don't give people food, give them advice insteadRazz
People who learn to take care of themselves vs people who feel entitled to free shit without trying to learn a damn thing.
(08-30-2012, 05:15 PM)Larry Wrote: People who learn to take care of themselves vs people who feel entitled to free shit without trying to learn a damn thing.

That's not even a complete sentence.

The analogy was between teaching someone to fish and teaching someone to think independently.
Not everything in life has to be observed in a bi-partisan perspective.
(08-30-2012, 05:19 PM)Crazylace Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 05:15 PM)Larry Wrote: People who learn to take care of themselves vs people who feel entitled to free shit without trying to learn a damn thing.

That's not even a complete sentence.

The analogy was between teaching someone to fish and teaching someone to think independently.
Not everything in life has to be observed in a bi-partisan perspective.

Can you explain to me why those who lay claim to being "critical thinkers" demand that their opinions are the only correct ones? Could it be that we could both "critically" think about a topic and still disagree?

Nope. According to the acclaimed "critical thinkers" guild we have here, if you qualify to be one, you must think like them. Wait... that's kinda the opposite of your point, isn't it?

Why do all so called Critical Thinkers all march in lock step? Scares the hell outta me, what that might mean....
You still didn't dispute any of Paul Ryan's lies.
(08-30-2012, 05:33 PM)bbqboy Wrote: You still didn't dispute any of Paul Ryan's lies.

Because it is ALL bullshit, not worthy of responding to. All I can say is Laughing.

And it is on an entirely different thread?
I know but you didn't respond over there. Big Grin