I hate learning EXCEL
I am having the hardest time with a particular exercise it is not working right. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I actually started crying I was so frustrated. I am trying to sort a filter table and use the DSUM and DAVERAGE function. The whole chapter is not working right.

Thank you for letting me vent it is the Benchmark series 2007 by Paradigm I hate this!!!!
Are you using Office 2007 or 2010? Why are they using a 2007 book?

Wish I was there so I could help you. Hang in there...take a breath, take a break, and then come back to it. If you have to start completely over with a new spreadsheet, save the one your were working on though...then maybe you can catch where the problem was?

HUGZ!
(08-29-2012, 10:59 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Are you using Office 2007 or 2010? Why are they using a 2007 book?

Wish I was there so I could help you. Hang in there...take a breath, take a break, and then come back to it. If you have to start completely over with a new spreadsheet, save the one your were working on though...then maybe you can catch where the problem was?

HUGZ!

I am doing 2007. I actually stopped that one and started a whole new chapter. I will start it all over again when my husband comes home and he can help me with it, he likes excel. I have no idea what I did wrong, I plan on starting the whole thing over.
What a nightmare...it's going to be so cool when you master it, though!

I got a part time job in NYC finding online magazines for PBS.
I specifically told them I did NOT know Excel and they said it was fine.

I started emailing in my results, they emailed me back saying the results needed to be in Excel.

End of job.

Hang in there, blondemom!!!
(08-29-2012, 09:20 AM)blondemom Wrote: I am having the hardest time with a particular exercise it is not working right. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I actually started crying I was so frustrated. I am trying to sort a filter table and use the DSUM and DAVERAGE function. The whole chapter is not working right.

Thank you for letting me vent it is the Benchmark series 2007 by Paradigm I hate this!!!!

Excel is a VERY POWERFUL program, as you have discovered. The damn thing can beat you right down into a pool of absolute depression.

When dealing with functions, one must be sure to learn a step at at time. That may sound obvious, but it's vital. Learning Excel (or worse yet, a data base) on you own from a book is "nearly" impossible. Some do it with ease, and I think it's because they have a brain disease.

I used to think of it this way: We want a beautiful home and Microsoft promises Excel will make one appear, as if by magic.
We get to the lot, and find lumber, nails, roofing, wall board, and all that it takes to have a house.
They say well, it's all there. ALL you must do it build it.

A step at a time, making sure you understand the meanings of the functions you are working with. Aggregate balances mean little if you don't know what that means, for instance.

Good luck. And look at it this way: You brain is getting a really good work out. The next project will come more quickly.
I confess. Excel kicked me to the floor. I will also admit to ...well....not exactly being completely honest in that part of computer lab. I'm sorry, but Excel is nuts. I'm not a left brain thinker. So, you have my sympathy.
The chapter that kicked my rear is chapter 3 in level 2, so yesterday I skipped it. I went on and started chapter 4 I did it just fine, I actually sailed through it just fine without any problems.
(08-30-2012, 03:40 AM)blondemom Wrote: The chapter that kicked my rear is chapter 3 in level 2, so yesterday I skipped it. I went on and started chapter 4 I did it just fine, I actually sailed through it just fine without any problems.

Good for you!
But when you feel refreshed and able, go back to the chapter that gave you trouble and see if it "clicks". That function might just pop up sometime and be important.
I have no idea how I did it, bit I took the level 2 unit one test and I got 100%, so I still have a 4.0 in the class.

On the chapter 3 exercises I just redid all of them until they worked. It was a pain the rear. But I eventually got it.
I don't know anything about EXCEL but my advice is to find someone or some people who are not experts but are just a little better than you are.

It's been my experience that it's hard to learn from brainiaks. Online forums work for me if I have trouble figuring out functions on adobe photoshop.
I learned practically everything about ebay from forums.
I have 2000 at home and use a new version at work. Mostly number crunching and plotting. I hate having two versions cause it hard to remember how to do things. I know there much more you can do with Macros and scripts.
(09-05-2012, 09:43 PM)chuck white Wrote: I have 2000 at home and use a new version at work. Mostly number crunching and plotting. I hate having two versions cause it hard to remember how to do things. I know there much more you can do with Macros and scripts.

You work?
He has a skillful job, actually.
(09-06-2012, 12:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: He has a skillful job, actually.
Well I wasn't questioning his abilities , It just seems like he is here so often he must not be working.
(09-06-2012, 01:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 12:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: He has a skillful job, actually.
Well I wasn't questioning his abilities , It just seems like he is here so often he must not be working.

Ya see, TVg, you and me tossed dirt out of ditches and hauled heavy stuff on our backs. Now some folks (you ain't gonna believe this) actually SIT when they work. Heck, I didn't know a fella could get paid without sweating. Go figure.

Now PonderT, he get's paid just for thinking. But he gets paid in sea shells. In other words he is well paid. Laughing (Ponder if I didn't have you to pick on, I'd be lonesome and depressed Smiling )
Quote: 'Wonky'

Ya see, TVg, you and me tossed dirt out of ditches and hauled heavy stuff on our backs. Now some folks (you ain't gonna believe this) actually SIT when they work.

You mean not only sit but sit AND play on a computer instead of doing whatever their job is?Razz No wonder Ponder acts like it's top secretLaughing
Yeah well I don't envy those guys much when I see how a desk job has affected their appearance.
Of course for all I know Chuck may look like Arnold Shortzwhatever.Razz
I call it more of a hobble then work. It high tech stuff and I'm always within reach of a computer and a soldering iron.