PASAP - Prepare as Soon as Possible
What would you add to this list for your family?
I would add honey, soy sauce, vinegars and several spices.

=========================

PASAP - Prep as Soon as Possible
Is “slow and steady” just not your style? Here’s a quick and dirty guide to getting essentials stored in your home – FAST. This one-shot list will stock your home with the essential food, water, and supplies to help you weather a short-term emergency. This list is best suited to a hunker-down situation, in which you don’t plan on evacuating.*
I really don’t recommend this approach, but sometimes a situation calls for fast action. I also don’t recommend waiting to start preparing until RIGHT before an emergency (the hurricane hits in two hours! GO!), so keep that in mind when making your plans.
As with every post on this site, I make no guarantees…your results may vary! Personally, I could survive for a long time on the food and water that this shopping expedition would bring in, but I don’t eat a lot. I also don’t have a large family to feed. Adapt to suit your needs.
Go to the grocery store and buy:
4 big jars of peanut butter
3 huge canisters of rolled oats
4 5-lb bags of flour
2 5-lb bags of sugar
A canister of salt
Baking powder and baking soda
40 cans of soup (not condensed) – the heartier the better
30+gallons of water
20 lbs of dried beans – your choice (pintos are cheap)
20 lbs of rice (white – longer shelf life, brown – more nutritious)
20 cans of tuna (or chicken or salmon)
A big canister of Tang drink mix
Two big boxes of powdered milk
The largest bottle of cooking oil you can find
30 cans of vegetables – assorted
20 cans of fruit – assorted
A big bag of raisins or other dried fruit
As much chocolate as you can stuff in your cart
Hard candies
Now go to a walmart, sporting goods store, or the like. Purchase the following:
Flashlight
Radio (preferably hand-crank and/or solar)
Manual can opener
Water storage drums – fill these AS SOON AS you get home. Buy enough drums to have 30-60 gallons of water on hand, in addition to what you bought at the grocery store.
Bleach, try for about a gallon (it has many uses)
Multivitamin – 90 count at least
Matches, lighters
Steel wool, if you can find it quickly, and a 9-volt battery
Spare batteries of all sizes (for trade if nothing else)
Biggest first aid kid you can find
Medications: cold, pain relievers, the like
Biggest package of feminine products you can find (again, you can always trade these for more supplies)
Toilet paper
Duct tape
If you have time, also pick up a propane stove, as many extra propane tanks as you can afford, and some sleeping bags/extra blankets.

http://apartmentprep.wordpress.com/2012/...-possible/
Haven't we already been down this road??

How many end of the world prepare threads do we need? Just wondering.
It may be on your list and I missed it but extra bulbs for your flashlight's, as well as candles. And booze you can trade with it. I would not recommend oil it goes rancid I would use shortening
(08-29-2012, 05:27 PM)blondemom Wrote: It may be on your list and I missed it but extra bulbs for your flashlight's, as well as candles. And booze you can trade with it. I would not recommend oil it goes rancid I would use shortening

Good ideas!
I've got an extra jar of my extra virgin organic coconut oil saved!
Booze is a good idea, Blondemom.
We don't drink it, so it would stay safe. Big Grin
I know we had another thread, but this one has an actual list for us to work off of. We couldn't afford to buy all this stuff at once...it's a good starting point, though.

Surely some kind of shampoo/soap/toothpaste would be good too....
Guns and ammo
(08-29-2012, 05:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: Haven't we already been down this road??

How many end of the world prepare threads do we need? Just wondering.

EEEeek! Forum Police!!!

[Image: %3Fbb_attachments%3D118755%26bbat%3D13819%26inline]
If you have time, also pick up a propane stove, as many extra propane tanks as you can afford, and some sleeping bags/extra blankets.

[/quote]

You are a total dumbfuck if you rely on and spread what someone on the internet told you to. Yeah, Clone/Crone, you are are a stupid twat. Oh my, would you prefer I call you a cunt?
[/quote]

You pose as a man. You have revealed yourself to be an adolescent trapped in an adults body.
I thank the gods I live in a society that values free speech. But, I'm less happy about living in a society where men no longer take responsibility for running off at the mouth. You are obnoxious to a fault, vulgar beyond reasonable standards, and seem to contribute nothing to the world in which you live.

I doubt you will see a good end.
(08-29-2012, 07:34 PM)chuck white Wrote: Guns and ammo

I started preaching that in 08. BEFORE the election.
(08-29-2012, 05:13 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 04:58 PM)Clone Wrote: What would you add to this list for your family?
I would add honey, soy sauce, vinegars and several spices.

=========================

PASAP - Prep as Soon as Possible
Is “slow and steady” just not your style? Here’s a quick and dirty guide to getting essentials stored in your home – FAST. This one-shot list will stock your home with the essential food, water, and supplies to help you weather a short-term emergency. This list is best suited to a hunker-down situation, in which you don’t plan on evacuating.*
I really don’t recommend this approach, but sometimes a situation calls for fast action. I also don’t recommend waiting to start preparing until RIGHT before an emergency (the hurricane hits in two hours! GO!), so keep that in mind when making your plans.
As with every post on this site, I make no guarantees…your results may vary! Personally, I could survive for a long time on the food and water that this shopping expedition would bring in, but I don’t eat a lot. I also don’t have a large family to feed. Adapt to suit your needs.
Go to the grocery store and buy:
4 big jars of peanut butter
3 huge canisters of rolled oats
4 5-lb bags of flour
2 5-lb bags of sugar
A canister of salt
Baking powder and baking soda
40 cans of soup (not condensed) – the heartier the better
30+gallons of water
20 lbs of dried beans – your choice (pintos are cheap)
20 lbs of rice (white – longer shelf life, brown – more nutritious)
20 cans of tuna (or chicken or salmon)
A big canister of Tang drink mix
Two big boxes of powdered milk
The largest bottle of cooking oil you can find
30 cans of vegetables – assorted
20 cans of fruit – assorted
A big bag of raisins or other dried fruit
As much chocolate as you can stuff in your cart
Hard candies
Now go to a walmart, sporting goods store, or the like. Purchase the following:
Flashlight
Radio (preferably hand-crank and/or solar)
Manual can opener
Water storage drums – fill these AS SOON AS you get home. Buy enough drums to have 30-60 gallons of water on hand, in addition to what you bought at the grocery store.
Bleach, try for about a gallon (it has many uses)
Multivitamin – 90 count at least
Matches, lighters
Steel wool, if you can find it quickly, and a 9-volt battery
Spare batteries of all sizes (for trade if nothing else)
Biggest first aid kid you can find
Medications: cold, pain relievers, the like
Biggest package of feminine products you can find (again, you can always trade these for more supplies)
Toilet paper
Duct tape

You are a total dumbfuck if you rely on and spread what someone on the internet told you to. Yeah, Clone/Crone, you are are a stupid twat. Oh my, would you prefer I call you a cunt?

You pose as a man. You have revealed yourself to be an adolescent trapped in an adults body.
I thank the gods I live in a society that values free speech. But, I'm less happy about living in a society where men no longer take responsibility for running off at the mouth. You are obnoxious to a fault, vulgar beyond reasonable standards, and seem to contribute nothing to the world in which you live.

I doubt you will see a good end.
OK, OK, Clone, you've been watching the prepper sites on youtube again. Where would I put all this stuff!? That's quite a horde for a "short term weather emergency".? On the other hand if you get your sugar and your flour (that you freeze or whatever) and put them in air tight containers, it's super cool when you run out and need more. hmmmmm...... Anyway, serious preppers are storing whole wheat for grinding, by the barrel. Now, see, now you have to start grinding wheat to keep up your rotation!
(08-29-2012, 09:19 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, OK, Clone, you've been watching the prepper sites on youtube again. Where would I put all this stuff!? That's quite a horde for a "short term weather emergency".? On the other hand if you get your sugar and your flour (that you freeze or whatever) and put them in air tight containers, it's super cool when you run out and need more. hmmmmm...... Anyway, serious preppers are storing whole wheat for grinding, by the barrel. Now, see, now you have to start grinding wheat to keep up your rotation!

Have you priced those grinders??
I must not be a serious prepper. Laughing

My goal is to bank against high prices/food shortages.
As far as serious prepping for emergencies, we don't have the room for 3 months worth. If something bad were to happen, we would be okay for a while, then it would probably get down to rice and beans.
I'm on several medications so I would have the choice to just stop taking my meds, or run out of my meds and die fairly quickly and easily.
I find that strangely comforting.
(08-29-2012, 09:30 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 09:19 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, OK, Clone, you've been watching the prepper sites on youtube again. Where would I put all this stuff!? That's quite a horde for a "short term weather emergency".? On the other hand if you get your sugar and your flour (that you freeze or whatever) and put them in air tight containers, it's super cool when you run out and need more. hmmmmm...... Anyway, serious preppers are storing whole wheat for grinding, by the barrel. Now, see, now you have to start grinding wheat to keep up your rotation!

As far as serious prepping for emergencies, we don't have the room for 3 months worth. If something bad were to happen, we would be okay for a while, then it would probably get down to rice and beans.
I'm on several medications so I would have the choice to just stop taking my meds, or run out of my meds and die fairly quickly and easily.

Define "Those grinders" They sell meat grinders that attach to a table with different blades for dollars at goodwills. And pasta makers too. I've yet to use mine. I keep promising myself I'm going to make some homemade pasta. That's a good way to use up all that flour your buying too!!! Hedging is good. I'm not sure how it worked out for me. I built up a small cache but it was an always expense. The regular purchases and the cache. Sure was nice when things ran out and there was more. Winco is advertising canned veggies for something like .39 cents a can right now! But I don't like canned veggies. Even the hummus I made from canned garbanzo tonight, had a tinny taste.
(08-29-2012, 09:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Define "Those grinders" They sell meat grinders that attach to a table with different blades for dollars at goodwills. And pasta makers too. I've yet to use mine. I keep promising myself I'm going to make some homemade pasta. That's a good way to use up all that flour your buying too!!! Hedging is good. I'm not sure how it worked out for me. I built up a small cache but it was an always expense. The regular purchases and the cache. Sure was nice when things ran out and there was more. Winco is advertising canned veggies for something like .39 cents a can right now! But I don't like canned veggies. Even the hummus I made from canned garbanzo tonight, had a tinny taste.

Yeah, I understand but am more forgiving about the canned veggies.
That is, corn and green beans. Nothing else.
The Niblets corn tastes 'alright' to me, the canned green beans, in a pinch,
can be nicely doctored up with bacon. I fry a couple pieces of bacon in a pan and then dump the green beans in to warm up and cook down a bit.
I guess I'm more used to it, that's how my mom did it when she didn't have fresh green beans in the garden.
OMG..those mixed veggies, or the potatoes are YUCK. Or canned spinach. YUCK.

Right now I'm baking off chocolate chip walnut cookes to take to the camping trip with the sons. I've already made oatmeal raisin.

It's only for one night, their women aren't coming...I get my sons to myself for the first time in at least 15 years!
(08-29-2012, 10:22 PM)Clone Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 09:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Define "Those grinders" They sell meat grinders that attach to a table with different blades for dollars at goodwills. And pasta makers too. I've yet to use mine. I keep promising myself I'm going to make some homemade pasta. That's a good way to use up all that flour your buying too!!! Hedging is good. I'm not sure how it worked out for me. I built up a small cache but it was an always expense. The regular purchases and the cache. Sure was nice when things ran out and there was more. Winco is advertising canned veggies for something like .39 cents a can right now! But I don't like canned veggies. Even the hummus I made from canned garbanzo tonight, had a tinny taste.

can be nicely doctored up with bacon. I fry a couple pieces of bacon in a pan and then dump the green beans in to warm up and cook down a bit.
I guess I'm more used to it, that's how my mom did it when she didn't have fresh green beans in the garden.

Right now I'm baking off chocolate chip walnut cookes to take to the camping trip with the sons. I've already made oatmeal raisin.

It's only for one night, their women aren't coming...I get my sons to myself for the first time in at least 15 years!

When your hungry you will eat just about anything. Can your own. Also on your list have some extra nuts. And Wal-Mart of all places here sell these kits that have enough food for 4 people for 3 or days that have a very long shelf life all you do is add water.
(08-29-2012, 09:30 PM)Clone Wrote:

If you have a kitchen aid mixer (I always wanted one, and never got it) they have attachments for it, or you can always little house on the prairie it (use the coffee grinder like they did in the hard winter book).
Woman, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EXTRA WOMEN.
(08-30-2012, 03:34 AM)blondemom Wrote:

When your hungry you will eat just about anything. Can your own. Also on your list have some extra nuts. And Wal-Mart of all places here sell these kits that have enough food for 4 people for 3 or days that have a very long shelf life all you do is add water.

I might eat anything in times of desperation, but not in times of plenty. So, again, there's no pointing buying something you wont use, because you wont be able to rotate it. I'm assuming that in a crisis the electricity will go out. I don't have a generator. The only reason I would buy or need one be for the zombie apocalypse.
I saw a meat grinder like this with all the blades at AS IS a month ago. I'm guessing I'd have paid 3 to 5 bucks for it if I had bought it.
(08-30-2012, 07:32 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 03:34 AM)blondemom Wrote:

I might eat anything in times of desperation, but not in times of plenty. So, again, there's no pointing buying something you wont use, because you wont be able to rotate it. I'm assuming that in a crisis the electricity will go out. I don't have a generator. The only reason I would buy or need one be for the zombie apocalypse.
I saw a meat grinder like this with all the blades at AS IS a month ago. I'm guessing I'd have paid 3 to 5 bucks for it if I had bought it.

So do you have any back up of food in case something happens? In case the power goes out we don't have a generator (yet), but we do have the batteries for our weather radio, we can charger our cell phones as well as other things with our vehicles,I can cook over our camp stove. I hate canned stew, and the canned Chinese food, but I buy them and I mark when they expire and to be honest I donate them to a food bank before that date if we haven't had need to use them. But I have it one hand so if need be my kids will have it to eat. In my closet I have 2 large crates one is filled with canned juices and the likes the other with boxed foods, I also have my goodies stashed in there as well as bottled water. I have canned goods and other stuff in my pantry, I have water in my pantry. In my laundry room I have more water and other canned goods stashed. We have 3 cook stoves I have one in the garage, one in the laundry room and one in my closet. In case I can't get to one I can get to another.

I plan for the worst and hope for the best.
(08-30-2012, 08:00 AM)blondemom Wrote: I hate canned stew, and the canned Chinese food, but I buy them and I mark when they expire and to be honest I donate them to a food bank before that date if we haven't had need to use them.

+1
Yeah.....no. I give so much to needy families out of my own pocket. I'm not going to buy food I never use and take up limited space to store it. I think this is what Clone and I have been rolling around a lot. But I'd survive 3 days or a week. Then I'd come to your house. Theoretically.Wink