Another Random Thought.
(09-09-2012, 01:57 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Please oh heavenly father above. Make it known to this sinner why it seems like I am the only one who knoweths the value and ease of simply restoring a computer to an earlier point in time?

Nothing, I MEAN NOTHING else has worked for me so often to fix my computer problems. Alas when I mention this saintly method of cure I am banned and ignored with the rest of the lepors, why Father why OH whyBlinkBlinkSurprisedSurprisedTwitch

Because... you heathenous lout... System Restore doesn't necessarily remove everything that might have recently caused problems. This is especially true for bugs and viruses. It is good for certain things.. for example... restoring your PC from an unstable state to a stable state where you can then proceed to fix and repair the real source of the problem.

In some cases System Restore is all that is required but in many cases that is just the first step to take toward fixing a problem and keeping a past problem from reappearing.

BTW... no need to address me as "oh heavenly father above"

Thank you fath... er GCGRazz

Hey I never once said system restore cures all that ails ya . But it sure as hell is easy and it sure as hell does work for many many problems and especially the one Cletus described.

There is a system restore to an earlier point in time. That works great for lots of problems. With that you keep all you data , files, pictures, documents ......

That feature is awesome.

The if you really have some serious shit you can't get rid of there is a FULL system restore that basically wipes everything clean so it's like the day you brought the thing home.

I have two PC's on is about 2 years old the other 13 which is still running and in a bedroom where my wife uses it every day.
Other than a mechanical failure where I spent 75 bucks to fix the old one, I have NEVER had a problem that I couldn't solve.
And my point? The restore features have saved my ass a bazillion times, more than any other method.

So It makes me wonder why?... when ever I mention "restore" it's like I farted in an elevator or I was talking about bombing the white house.
(09-09-2012, 08:30 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Some people are morons. Dry

And some are very, very, intelligent.
Some are plenty bright, and cope with life effectively.
Some are marginally smart and get along, for the most part.
Some are dull and never express a complete thought.

Then there is me: Too dumb to come in out of the rain. I get by due to "The kindness of strangers".
(09-09-2012, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 01:57 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Please oh heavenly father above. Make it known to this sinner why it seems like I am the only one who knoweths the value and ease of simply restoring a computer to an earlier point in time?

Nothing, I MEAN NOTHING else has worked for me so often to fix my computer problems. Alas when I mention this saintly method of cure I am banned and ignored with the rest of the lepors, why Father why OH whyBlinkBlinkSurprisedSurprisedTwitch

Because... you heathenous lout... System Restore doesn't necessarily remove everything that might have recently caused problems. This is especially true for bugs and viruses. It is good for certain things.. for example... restoring your PC from an unstable state to a stable state where you can then proceed to fix and repair the real source of the problem.

In some cases System Restore is all that is required but in many cases that is just the first step to take toward fixing a problem and keeping a past problem from reappearing.

BTW... no need to address me as "oh heavenly father above"

Thank you fath... er GCGRazz

Hey I never once said system restore cures all that ails ya . But it sure as hell is easy and it sure as hell does work for many many problems and especially the one Cletus described.

There is a system restore to an earlier point in time. That works great for lots of problems. With that you keep all you data , files, pictures, documents ......

That feature is awesome.

The if you really have some serious shit you can't get rid of there is a FULL system restore that basically wipes everything clean so it's like the day you brought the thing home.

I have two PC's on is about 2 years old the other 13 which is still running and in a bedroom where my wife uses it every day.
Other than a mechanical failure where I spent 75 bucks to fix the old one, I have NEVER had a problem that I couldn't solve.
And my point? The restore features have saved my ass a bazillion times, more than any other method.

So It makes me wonder why?... when ever I mention "restore" it's like I farted in an elevator or I was talking about bombing the white house.

Perhaps because some people confuse "System Restore" with "System Recovery" the latter being the "start over from scratch" method.

Also, many computer techs will argue against using "System Restore" every time the least problem arises because it will hide certain problems only to have them resurface again.

In cletus' case, I would NOT suggest your method for a fix because there are methods available that address the exact problem without going to the extent that restoring to an earlier point in time would. I would not be opposed to trying other methods first... and if those fail then resorting to your plan. In other words, I don't use System Restore as a "cure-all" but rather as the last resort... aside from a full Recovery.

JMO...
Quote:Perhaps because some people confuse "System Restore" with "System Recovery" the latter being the "start over from scratch" method.

Yes I thought of that which is why I just explained bothSmiling

Quote:Also, many computer techs will argue against using "System Restore" every time the least problem arises because it will hide certain problems only to have them resurface again.

I don't see the logic in not using system restore because it might not work? If it doesn't you simply move on the plan B. It's been my experience that it almost always works.

Quote:In cletus' case, I would NOT suggest your method for a fix because there are methods available that address the exact problem without going to the extent that restoring to an earlier point in time would.

Going to the extent? It takes a few seconds to set up and then you walk away while it restores itself.

Quote: I would not be opposed to trying other methods first... and if those fail then resorting to your plan. In other words, I don't use System Restore as a "cure-all" but rather as the last resort... aside from a full Recovery.

JMO...

[/quote]

Well I feel the exact opposite. System restore is simple, almost as simple as rebooting which also fixes quite a few problems.

The only problem I have with these "other methods" is that there are people out their just waiting for someone to come along looking for a solution. You can easily fall in to a trap.
I'm sure YOU are aware of this but it's not uncommon to have some kind of malware or crap on your PC telling you that you need to do this or that which usually costs money.And blocking you from going to the control panel and removing anything
So you do a Google search and you find a site that promises a free fix... And what you really found was the same damn people feeding you more bullshit.

Been there done that. That's why I go with what's easy and works most of the time FIRST.

I'm sure as hell no expert but I do know what has always worked for me. I don't even pay for security anymore like Norton or Macafee.
These ain't random thoughts!

A radome thought is "I wonder how many peanuts I could shove up my nose".
What if I tried to shave my tongue?
(09-09-2012, 04:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: What if I tried to shave my tongue?

No. Brushing your tongue is enough.

But, shaving your pubic hair and letting it grow back without ONCE making a comment is a random kind of thing to do.
(09-09-2012, 03:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Perhaps because some people confuse "System Restore" with "System Recovery" the latter being the "start over from scratch" method.

Quote:Also, many computer techs will argue against using "System Restore" every time the least problem arises because it will hide certain problems only to have them resurface again.

I don't see the logic in not using system restore because it might not work? If it doesn't you simply move on the plan B. It's been my experience that it almost always works.

Quote:In cletus' case, I would NOT suggest your method for a fix because there are methods available that address the exact problem without going to the extent that restoring to an earlier point in time would.

Going to the extent? It takes a few seconds to set up and then you walk away while it restores itself.

Quote: I would not be opposed to trying other methods first... and if those fail then resorting to your plan. In other words, I don't use System Restore as a "cure-all" but rather as the last resort... aside from a full Recovery.

JMO...

Quote: Well I feel the exact opposite. System restore is simple, almost as simple as rebooting which also fixes quite a few problems.

The only problem I have with these "other methods" is that there are people out their just waiting for someone to come along looking for a solution. You can easily fall in to a trap.
I'm sure YOU are aware of this but it's not uncommon to have some kind of malware or crap on your PC telling you that you need to do this or that which usually costs money.And blocking you from going to the control panel and removing anything
So you do a Google search and you find a site that promises a free fix... And what you really found was the same damn people feeding you more bullshit.

Been there done that. That's why I go with what's easy and works most of the time FIRST.

I'm sure as hell no expert but I do know what has always worked for me. I don't even pay for security anymore like Norton or Macafee.

By "going to the extent" I am referring to restoring OTHER things to an earlier point in time that you might not want to restore. Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with. Why fix stuff that isn't broken? System Restore is a powerful tool and, IMHO, it is not to be used for things that can be handled more easily and directly via other fixes.

You might consider doing some research on System Restore and what EXACTLY it does and does not do. It does not remove all malware or spyware. It does not fix viruses. It certainly is not a valid replacement for a good A/V.

You may find this hard to believe but your are taking a big risk by thinking that you can wash away any problem by simply restoring to an earlier point. That is simply not the case.

You talk about how you have frequently used System Restore to fix your computer... I say that a computer should not need to be frequently fixed.
(09-09-2012, 04:17 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

JMO...

Quote: Well I feel the exact opposite. System restore is simple, almost as simple as rebooting which also fixes quite a few problems.

By "going to the extent" I am referring to restoring OTHER things to an earlier point in time that you might not want to restore. Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with. Why fix stuff that isn't broken? System Restore is a powerful tool and, IMHO, it is not to be used for things that can be handled more easily and directly via other fixes.

You might consider doing some research on System Restore and what EXACTLY it does and does not do. It does not remove all malware or spyware. It does not fix viruses. It certainly is not a valid replacement for a good A/V.

You may find this hard to believe but your are taking a big risk by thinking that you can wash away any problem by simply restoring to an earlier point. That is simply not the case.

You talk about how you have frequently used System Restore to fix your computer... I say that a computer should not need to be frequently fixed.

So, I guess you are saying you don't have enough peanuts to stuff up your nose, and your are not in the mood to shave your tongue?
(09-09-2012, 04:23 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 04:17 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

JMO...

So, I guess you are saying you don't have enough peanuts to stuff up your nose, and your are not in the mood to shave your tongue?

Mostly I'm just arguing with tvguy because I miss it. Not that I'm not being sincere with my replies... but if it weren't tvguy I probably would have got bored and moved on by now. Big Grin
Quote:By "going to the extent" I am referring to restoring OTHER things to an earlier point in time that you might not want to restore.

That has never once been an issue to me. I can choose the date I want to go back too.
If one day I have some crap on my Pc and it's something that won't go away with standard deleting cookies, temporary files etc and it's not appearing in my control panel to remove then I simple go back a couple of days to a date BEFORE I had a problem.

Quote: Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with. Why fix stuff that isn't broken? System Restore is a powerful tool and, IMHO, it is not to be used for things that can be handled more easily and directly via other fixes.

I don't think you even know what I mean? what do you mean by Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with

I DON'T LOSE ANYTHING.

why fix stuff that isn't broken??? I DON'T where are you getting this idea?? it restores my PC to exactly where I was BEFORE i had a problem... nothing else is affected.

Quote:You might consider doing some research on System Restore and what EXACTLY it does and does not do. It does not remove all malware or spyware. It does not fix viruses. It certainly is not a valid replacement for a good A/V.

Jeesh GCG where the fuck did I ever said it was a cure all?? as a matter of fact I'm positive I said just exactly this.....

Quote:You may find this hard to believe but your are taking a big risk by thinking that you can wash away any problem by simply restoring to an earlier point. That is simply not the case.

Really??? Where did I say I can wash away any problem???

Holey crap dude are you even reading the words that I'm typing??? What I find hard to believe is that you even know what I'm talking about.

Quote:You talk about how you have frequently used System Restore to fix your computer... I say that a computer should not need to be frequently fixed.

Well Like I said I don't pay for these firewall protection or anything else so occasionally I get crap on my PC and System restore almost always is an easy fix.

So I'm taking this "big risk""" because I frequently use system restore??? What part of I've been using it for over a decade did you miss???
I wonder why the fuck this dangerous system restore feature was installed on my computer by the manufacturer in the first place??
Hey GCG... never fucking mindLaughingLaughingLaughing
(09-09-2012, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:By "going to the extent" I am referring to restoring OTHER things to an earlier point in time that you might not want to restore.

That has never once been an issue to me. I can choose the date I want to go back too.
If one day I have some crap on my Pc and it's something that won't go away with standard deleting cookies, temporary files etc and it's not appearing in my control panel to remove then I simple go back a couple of days to a date BEFORE I had a problem.

Quote: Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with. Why fix stuff that isn't broken? System Restore is a powerful tool and, IMHO, it is not to be used for things that can be handled more easily and directly via other fixes.

I don't think you even know what I mean? what do you mean by Perhaps there are things that you are just fine with

I DON'T LOSE ANYTHING.

why fix stuff that isn't broken??? I DON'T where are you getting this idea?? it restores my PC to exactly where I was BEFORE i had a problem... nothing else is affected.

Quote:You might consider doing some research on System Restore and what EXACTLY it does and does not do. It does not remove all malware or spyware. It does not fix viruses. It certainly is not a valid replacement for a good A/V.

Jeesh GCG where the fuck did I ever said it was a cure all?? as a matter of fact I'm positive I said just exactly this.....

Quote:You may find this hard to believe but your are taking a big risk by thinking that you can wash away any problem by simply restoring to an earlier point. That is simply not the case.

Really??? Where did I say I can wash away any problem???

Holey crap dude are you even reading the words that I'm typing??? What I find hard to believe is that you even know what I'm talking about.

Quote:You talk about how you have frequently used System Restore to fix your computer... I say that a computer should not need to be frequently fixed.

Well Like I said I don't pay for these firewall protection or anything else so occasionally I get crap on my PC and System restore almost always is an easy fix.

So I'm taking this "big risk""" because I frequently use system restore??? What part of I've been using it for over a decade did you miss???
I wonder why the fuck this dangerous system restore feature was installed on my computer by the manufacturer in the first place??
Hey GCG... never fucking mindLaughingLaughingLaughing

Look tvguy... for someone that admits to not being a techy guy... you sure are throwing around some dangerous advice. Do as you please with your own PC. But I strongly suggest you leave the tech advice to others.

I was a long time member of a tech site and I am not pulling this stuff out of my ass. System Restore should not be used unless/until other options have been exhausted.

If you are interested in learning more I will be happy to link you up.
(09-06-2012, 09:40 PM)Wonky Wrote: The other day I was picking my toes and of course thought of "Popeye Doyle" in the "French Connection" and that reminded me of Jimmy Carter and I had to go get peanuts that made me thirsty and I remembered the danger of fluorinated water. The dog likes the water "straight up", but the creek is dry. I once lived in a dry county. That's where I saw "The French Connection".

Channeling illcomandante on an off day?
(09-06-2012, 10:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 10:11 PM)Clone Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 10:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Forum friendships can go both ways. It can be wonderful.

Oh, I know, it's just that I'm not even forum friends with this woman.
Hey, due to Scrapper's good advice I PM'd the woman back expressing interest but asking for clarification as to how independent she is....like, is the wheelchair motorized?

You have forum friends???NeutralSurprised Just joking.Smiling

Dry
(09-07-2012, 03:44 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Someone I know on Facebook types the President's name "Barack HUSSEIN Obama".
Every time I see her post it that way I want to slap some sense into her.

Did she misspell something?
(09-09-2012, 06:19 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 09:40 PM)Wonky Wrote: The other day I was picking my toes and of course thought of "Popeye Doyle" in the "French Connection" and that reminded me of Jimmy Carter and I had to go get peanuts that made me thirsty and I remembered the danger of fluorinated water. The dog likes the water "straight up", but the creek is dry. I once lived in a dry county. That's where I saw "The French Connection".

Channeling illcomandante on an off day?

Hey, I'll steal stuff from anyone, anytime, any place. I have no pride.

And, it IS "Another Random Thought" topic. I'd say that was random enough. Stupid, goofy, but random.
Frankenstein never scared me.
Marsupials do.
'Cause their fast.

Kevin Pollack, channeling Christopher Walken.
Quote:Look tvguy... for someone that admits to not being a techy guy... you sure are throwing around some dangerous advice. Do as you please with your own PC. But I strongly suggest you leave the tech advice to others.

I was a long time member of a tech site and I am not pulling this stuff out of my ass. System Restore should not be used unless/until other options have been exhausted.

If you are interested in learning more I will be happy to link you up.

If we were talking about a total system restore I could see what you mean.
I'm not. I'm only talking about a simple restore to an earlier point.

I'm sure some tech heads have their reasons to all skeered of a system restore. I supposed there may be better options. On the other hand I have given you examples of how this function has worked flawlessly for me many times over a 13 year period.So whateverRazz

If by chance I was to get up, walk outside and a tree limb falls on my head causing me a horrible head ache then wouldn't it be a cool if I could rewind to BEFORE the limb fell and saw it off??

Most everyone I know who had had a computer for long and who are not in the business has had to get someone ELSE to fix their shit. I never have so I guess I'll keep on living dangerously, walking the line, pushing the envelopeRazzRazz
(09-09-2012, 06:57 PM)Larry Wrote: Frankenstein never scared me.
Marsupials do.
'Cause their fast.

:lol LaughingLaughing
That is CLASSIC!
Wherever you found that, bookmark it!
(I admit to being impressed by both of those guys. Walken may have been born on a different planet).
(09-09-2012, 06:57 PM)Larry Wrote: Frankenstein never scared me.
Marsupials do.
'Cause their fast.

LaughingLaughing I love Pollack's Walken imitation, I've seen him do that same bit. It's hilarious.
I've tried my hardest to sound like Walken, I can't do it on purpose.