Another Random Thought.
(09-09-2012, 07:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 06:57 PM)Larry Wrote: Frankenstein never scared me.
Marsupials do.
'Cause their fast.

Kevin Pollack, channeling Christopher Walken.

LaughingLaughing I love Pollack's Walken imitation, I've seen him do that same bit. It's hilarious.
I've tried my hardest to sound like Walken, I can't do it on purpose.

I think we "may" be thinking of the wrong guy. Isn't it Kevin SPACEY that does the Walken thing?
(09-09-2012, 07:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Look tvguy... for someone that admits to not being a techy guy... you sure are throwing around some dangerous advice. Do as you please with your own PC. But I strongly suggest you leave the tech advice to others.

I was a long time member of a tech site and I am not pulling this stuff out of my ass. System Restore should not be used unless/until other options have been exhausted.

If you are interested in learning more I will be happy to link you up.

If we were talking about a total system restore I could see what you mean.
I'm not. I'm only talking about a simple restore to an earlier point.

I'm sure some tech heads have their reasons to all skeered of a system restore. I supposed there may be better options. On the other hand I have given you examples of how this function has worked flawlessly for me many times over a 13 year period.So whateverRazz

If by chance I was to get up, walk outside and a tree limb falls on my head causing me a horrible head ache then wouldn't it be a cool if I could rewind to BEFORE the limb fell and saw it off??

Most everyone I know who had had a computer for long and who are not in the business has had to get someone ELSE to fix their shit. I never have so I guess I'll keep on living dangerously, walking the line, pushing the envelopeRazzRazz

I have taken this argument to an expert and I totally stand by my position. I will not post their reply publicly but I will repeat that what you do with your computer is up to you. You might want to think twice about suggesting System Restore as a quick fix FOR OTHER PEOPLES COMPUTERS.

Here is a link that might explain why:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

Of particular interest are these questions and answers:

Can I use System Restore to uninstall applications?

NO! System Restore does not completely uninstall applications when restoring to a point prior to the applications installation. What happens is, System Restore only removes the monitored files for the installed applications and the remaining non-monitored files are left behind. Any registry entries made by the installation of the application will also be gone. This will cause the application not to function. And in some cases, cause the uninstall and reinstall process of the partially removed application to fail. This is why it is recommended to uninstall any applications installed after the restore point you will be restoring to. If the uninstall and reinstall fail, try to undo the restore point, uninstall the application in question, then perform the restore again. The only other option would be to manually remove (for advanced users) leftover files, folders, shortcuts, and registry entries.

Can I use System Restore to remove virus or malware infection?

NO. System Restore was not designed to be a virus or spyware removal tool and should not be depended on to do so. Click here for more information on virus and spyware removal.

What should I do before running System Restore?

Any application installed after the restore point you are reverting to may not function. What happens is, System Restore only removes monitored files for the installed applications and the remaining files are left behind. This can cause the application not to function. And in some cases, can also cause the uninstall and reinstall process of the partially removed application to fail. It is recommended to uninstall any applications that were installed after the restore point you will be restoring to.

What should I do after restoring my system to an earlier date? Updated! 9/8/06

[i]After restoring a system to an earlier date all monitored files and folders will be reverted back to that date.
Any type of application that requires regular updates, such as virus and spyware applications may need to have there definitions updated.
Run Windows Update and MS Office Update, if installed
Any application installed after the restore point you are reverting to may not function. What happens is, System Restore only removes monitored files for the installed applications and the rest are left behind. This can cause the application not to function. And in some cases, can also cause the uninstall and reinstall process of the partially removed application to fail. It is recommended to uninstall any applications that was installed after the restore point you will be restoring to.
Application that were uninstalled will not be fully reinstalled in the restore process because the installation may have contained unmonitored file types. Monitored files from that installation will be restored. To remove one of these partially installed application it may be necessary to reinstall it, then uninstall it via add/remove programs in Control Panel.

Again tvguy... it is perfectly okay for you to live as dangerously as you wish with your computer. Just like I can fix my own electrical without knowing what I'm doing. I cross the line when I go to my neighbor's and attempt to fix his wiring.
For Wonky:

(09-09-2012, 03:56 PM)Wonky Wrote: These ain't random thoughts!

A radome thought is "I wonder how many peanuts I could shove up my nose".

With or without swallowing?
What day of the week is it today and does it make any difference here on the RVF?
My random thought: On the forum the main posters this last week seem to be Larry, Love of Money, TVguy and Clone. Hmmmmmm..Unsure
(09-09-2012, 07:54 PM)Larry Wrote: For Wonky:

OMG! You SO right. I was so wrong. And, I pissed myself listening to that. Thanks for posting it.

And now a random thought.

I wonder if it's unreasonable that I like my bib overhauls ironed?
Quote:
I have taken this argument to an expert and I totally stand by my position. I will not post their reply publicly but I will repeat that what you do with your computer is up to you. You might want to think twice about suggesting System Restore as a quick fix FOR OTHER PEOPLES COMPUTERS.

Here is a link that might explain why:

If you want to uninstall a program then of course you go to control panel/programs to do so. I never recommended system restore for that.

I also never said to DEPEND on system restore to remove a virus or spyware.

Quote:Again tvguy... it is perfectly okay for you to live as dangerously as you wish with your computer. Just like I can fix my own electrical without knowing what I'm doing. I cross the line when I go to my neighbor's and attempt to fix his wiring.

Except I'm not attempting to fix anyones PC and I'm only recommending something that has worked for me many times and is a function provided by my computer.
Why in the hell is system restore on my PC? If it's so "dangerous to use why are there NO warnings about that??

This is what is says on my pc.......................

What is System Restore?

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e?mail, documents, or photos.

Sometimes, the installation of a program or a driver can cause an unexpected change to your computer or cause Windows to behave unpredictably. Usually, uninstalling the program or driver corrects the problem. If uninstalling does not fix the problem, you can try restoring your computer's system to an earlier date when everything worked correctly.

System Restore uses a feature called System Protection to regularly create and save restore points on your computer. These restore points contain information about registry settings and other system information that Windows uses. You can also create restore points manually.

System Restore is not intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should regularly back up your personal files and important data using a backup program.

The fact is that the system recovery function is a tool PROVIDED by microsoft and it's intended to be used. I think there are probably some risks but I think these risks are blown out of proportion by some tech heads.
I say that after reading a great many articles about system restore.
There are a lot more people recommending it's uses than not
I do get fed up with so called ‘experts’ continuing to demean the use of System Restore to overcome minor PC issues. I have just visited a help forum where one of these ‘experts’ informed a newbie poster, who was soliciting advise on how to fix a Windows update which had not installed properly, that System Restore would most likely “screw up your Vista PC even further”…..that is, in my opinion, very bad advice.

Regardless of what the ‘experts’ believe, the fact remains that System Restore is the number one solution for ‘average’ users when they are experiencing minor issues with their PC’s.

Some salient points re System Restore:

1) System Restore is not a fix, it is a work-around and as such should be the last resort rather than the first port of call. Always try to ‘fix’ the problem first and if all else fails then go to System Restore.

2) System Restore in XP is somewhat iffy, no doubt about that but the feature is much improved in Vista and Windows 7. The likelihood of System Restore “further screwing up a PC” (in Vista/Windows 7) is extremely slim.

3) System Restore should always be initiated from within Safe Mode.

4) System Restore should not be used to help rectify problems caused by malware infections.

System Restore has helped me out on many occasions and I have no doubt it has also done the same for many of you.

That said; System Restore is certainly far from the ultimate solution. That prize must go to creating full system image backups via imaging software. But, as a simple solution, for minor issues which cannot be overcome by other means it can be, in my opinion, an invaluable resource.

Cheers….Jim
Jim Hillier - Managing editor Daves Computer Tips.com

Most of us remember Windows System Restore as a lame-duck feature from Windows XP; when it seemed we might benefit from using it, it never quite worked how we expected. That's no longer the case.

Windows System Restore is an awesome system recovery tool, and it's included with Windows for free. It's the ideal solution for rolling back bad drivers, fixing when buggy software breaks your PC, or simply rolling you back to a previous point in time. If you've still got a bad taste in your mouth from the lackluster XP version of System Restore, it's time to take a look at it again if you've upgraded to Windows 7 or Vista.
System Restore in Windows 7 Is Better than XP

If you've ever tried the XP variety of System Restore, the uselessness of it probably left a bad taste in your mouth. Setting a system restore point was often agonizingly slow, and when it came time to actually attempt a system restore, it rarely did what you wanted it to do. But if you've upgraded to Vista or Windows 7, you should really give System Restore another chance.

Back in the XP days, system restore simply used a file filter and copied files around, but since Vista, it uses the Shadow Copy features built into Windows—essentially, Windows can create a snapshot of your drive as of a certain point in time, which can then be used later to restore your PC should anything go wrong. The Shadow Copy feature is also used by backup software to take snapshots of files even while they are in use, and it powers the Previous Versions feature built into the Professional and Ultimate version of Windows. Using Shadow Copy instead of simple file copying makes System Restore much more effective and comprehensive—while the XP version could only really roll back from certain Windows changes and generally didn't work that well, System Restore in Vista or Windows 7 can actually roll back to a previous version of an installed application.http://lifehacker.com/5466794/the-complete-guide-to-windows-system-restore-its-better-than-you-remember
Do you have threads you tire of, or avoid?
(09-16-2012, 06:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Do you have threads you tire of, or avoid?

Political ones mostly, and food. And anything ILC has bumped
(09-16-2012, 07:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

For me it's the Facebook thread. It should be fun, but it's not.
I was mowing the lawn when I had a random thought about the historical greeting in much of Asia: "Have you had rice today?"
(09-16-2012, 08:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-16-2012, 07:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

For me it's the Facebook thread. It should be fun, but it's not.

I was going to say that also but once in a while something there is very funny.
this one
(09-16-2012, 10:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote: this one

Hello there!!! Waving

That's cuz you're a hater.
(09-17-2012, 08:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

really?
(09-17-2012, 08:25 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 08:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

really?

Of course! He chooses the worst seats and makes faces at me.