PG&E Seeks Approval for Seismic Testing
In an effort to continue operating a nuclear plant that sits on known active earthquake faults, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) is seeking permits to engage in seismic testing off the Central Coast of California.

Countless dead marine animals wash ashore for weeks during and after testing, blood dripping from areas such as their eyes, nose, ears or mouth — a sign they have suffered catastrophic internal hemorrhaging -- in regions where this sort of testing has been done
“the proposal calls for a 240-foot ship to tow a quarter-mile wide array of twenty 250 decibel “air cannons,” along a 90-mile stretch of California’s Central Coast. The cannons will shoot deafening underwater explosions once every twenty seconds, day and night, for 42 days and nights.

A 240 dB blast is reportedly like being one foot away from the mouth of a large cannon. For a human, your ears, or what’s left of your ears, would probably never stop ringing. The consequences of experiencing this level of sound can only be presumed to be immediate and permanent deafness – if not worse. For sea life, beyond just broken eardrums, the transfer of low-frequency shock waves from water-air-water causes hemorrhaging of lungs and air-sacks, and will result in the death of marine mammals – whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions and otters – and fish.”

The region where this devastating assault on wildlife is expected to take place includes the “protected” Point Buchon State Marine Reserve.

This seismic testing is expected to yield only moderate mapping results and, according to Fish and Game Commissioner Richard Rogers, would “cleanse the Point Buchon State Marine Reserve of all living marine organisms” including Sperm, Pygmy Sperm, Humpback, California Gray and Great Blue Whales, and many other species of fish and marine mammals, right down to the plankton.

The decision occurs at a time when humpback and blue whales have appeared in shockingly large numbers off the California coast to feed on krill. The seismic testing will kill great blue whales, gray whales and others, dolphins, porpoises, seals, sea lions, otters, and fishes.

http://beachcarolina.com/2012/09/09/pge-...ral-coast/
Is it really considered "better" to kill off 90 miles worth of ocean fish rather than move this nuclear plant somewhere away from an earthquake fault?
(09-10-2012, 08:08 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Is it really considered "better" to kill off 90 miles worth of ocean fish rather than move this nuclear plant somewhere away from an earthquake fault?

I guess, according to PG&E, a stock-holder, for profit energy company.

Just imagine some spacecraft from another planet arriving and doing this for 42 days and nights from Ashland to Roseburg.
I can't imagine they're really going to let them get away with this.
(09-10-2012, 08:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I can't imagine they're really going to let them get away with this.

One can always hope.
Imaham lives on the Central Coast...maybe he'll offer an opinion.
The whole area is fairly environmentally conscious so I hope they mobilize.
(09-10-2012, 08:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I can't imagine they're really going to let them get away with this.

Of course they will get away with it. Industry most always wins in these battles.

Look at the environmental disaster called the oil shale industry or the fracking business where they don't even have to tell the public the chemicals they use, they are clear-cutting the forests, there are dead zones off the coasts of all major cities, oil leaks all over the worlds oceans so what is a little death compared to mapping necessary to keep a dangerous plant operating.
You would think the fish would hear them coming and swim out of the way.
Sort of like moving from Sunny Valley to Eugene and all you have is flippers, I imagine. Smiling Piece of cake.