Warning for Dog Owners
Can you imagine that. She ignored you.
This is the report I know about:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/...s-say?lite

Quote:Nearly 1,000 dogs now sick from jerky treats, FDA reports say

Courtesy Robin Pierre

Bella, a 2-year-old pug, died last fall after her owner, Robin Pierre, said she ate Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats.
By JoNel Aleccia, NBC News

Nearly 1,000 dogs reportedly have been sickened by chicken jerky pet treats from China, according to a new tally of complaints from worried owners and veterinarians submitted to federal health officials.

Three top brands of chicken jerky treats were among those most recently cited by pet owners and veterinarians in complaints of harm, FDA records obtained by msnbc.com showed. They included Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brands produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., and Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp.
Know what, guys?
I try.
(09-16-2012, 11:20 AM)Tiamat Wrote: This is the report I know about:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/...s-say?lite

Quote:Nearly 1,000 dogs now sick from jerky treats, FDA reports say

Courtesy Robin Pierre

Bella, a 2-year-old pug, died last fall after her owner, Robin Pierre, said she ate Waggin' Train chicken jerky treats.
By JoNel Aleccia, NBC News

Nearly 1,000 dogs reportedly have been sickened by chicken jerky pet treats from China, according to a new tally of complaints from worried owners and veterinarians submitted to federal health officials.

Three top brands of chicken jerky treats were among those most recently cited by pet owners and veterinarians in complaints of harm, FDA records obtained by msnbc.com showed. They included Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brands produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., and Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp.

Yes this is the same thing I found out after a lot on internet searching. The problem seems to be with the Chicken Jerky treats from China.

It looks to me like the rest is hysteria.
Thanks for posting something reputable.

My own personal opinion is that the sales of All CHINESE treats will suffer immensely and heads will roll in China.
It lasso seems like it's the small dogs that are the most likely to die.
(09-16-2012, 11:51 AM)Clone Wrote: Know what, guys?
I try.

I think people are just asking for sources. It's not personal. But if we don't source, we just add to the internet misinformation glut. Kinda like perpetuating Halloween horror stories when the stories of razors in apples and poison in candy just can't be proven. I was hearing those stories when I was a kid. And they never happened. I believed Bloody Mary was at the top of my staircase too.
(09-16-2012, 06:44 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-16-2012, 11:51 AM)Clone Wrote: Know what, guys?
I try.

I think people are just asking for sources. It's not personal. But if we don't source, we just add to the internet misinformation glut. Kinda like perpetuating Halloween horror stories when the stories of razors in apples and poison in candy just can't be proven. I was hearing those stories when I was a kid. And they never happened. I believed Bloody Mary was at the top of my staircase too.

I hear ya...but thanks for pointing it out.
It's amazing how the stuff spreads...Homestead Survival has 250,000 follows and offers good, constructive, informative entries.

It did cause me, after being put on the hot seat, to research and I've decided dog treats are not good. Even if not made in China, which still hasn't really been proved, that word 'meat' in the ingredients is too vague for me!

Hey, I try Laughing
Now they are finding dog treats with razor blades in them? Twitch
Only on Halloween.
I did quite a bit of reading about this too.

It does indeed seem true that these Chicken treats were making dogs sick. OK so we go from there to not buying any kind of treats?

Quote:Nearly 1,000 dogs reportedly have been sickened by chicken jerky pet treats from China, according to a new tally of complaints from worried owners and veterinarians submitted to federal health officials.

I believe that the Chinese will self regulate and fix this minor problem. It's all about profits.
If I had a little tiny dog I would be more worried.

Hopefully there will be American companies spring up selling dog treats. I looked all over my bag of Purina beggin strips and since I don't see made in the USA anywhere then I assume it's notSad

But I haven't found anything at all other that Clones picture telling me there was anything wrong with them.
From the bag of Beggin' Strips I pulled out of the garbage:

Ground wheat, corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, sugar, glycerin, soybean meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, bacon (preserved with sodium nitrite), salt, bacon fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid, MEAT, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), calcium propionate (a preservative) natural and artifical smoke flavors, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6 and other color.

It's the 'meat' you have no idea of it's origin.
Things can and are being produced in the U.S. with Chinese ingredients.
We won't even get into the wheat, the msg, the sugar, the artifical flavors and the added color.
(09-16-2012, 07:24 PM)Clone Wrote: From the bag of Beggin' Strips I pulled out of the garbage:

Ground wheat, corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, sugar, glycerin, soybean meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, bacon (preserved with sodium nitrite), salt, bacon fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid, MEAT, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid (a preservative), calcium propionate (a preservative) natural and artifical smoke flavors, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6 and other color.

It's the 'meat' you have no idea of it's origin.
Things can and are being produced in the U.S. with Chinese ingredients.
We won't even get into the wheat, the msg, the sugar, the artifical flavors and the added color.

I'm not sure there is anything there that is bad for a dog. "wheat" ? I imagine a lot of those ingrediants in regular dog food.
I'm sure as hell not gonna go Ashland Hippie style and worry about artificial flavors and added color.Laughing

As far as the Chinese meat? we'll see. I'm staying away from the chicken that had 1000 dogs out of a billion get sick
Earlier in this thread, and in the links provided, it was revealed that "meat" can include roadkill, dead farm animals, and even carcasses from animal shelters. If you're fine with your dog eating those things, by all means continue. Nothing has changed.
What's wrong with wheat? My dog eats grass like a cow sometimesLaughingLaughing

In a treat I don't care if not very nutritious.
(09-16-2012, 07:35 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Earlier in this thread, and in the links provided, it was revealed that "meat" can include roadkill, dead farm animals, and even carcasses from animal shelters. If you're fine with your dog eating those things, by all means continue. Nothing has changed.

Why wouldn't I be? Holy crap have you EVER seen the skanky stuff a dog will eatLaughingLaughing

They will eat dead rotten disgusting things like we eat chocolate covered cherries. And then go drink out of some rancid puddle to wash it all down

it was revealed that "meat" can include roadkill, dead farm animals, and even carcasses from animal shelters

"Dead farm animals"? Yeah it would be kind of hard to put live ones in a bag don't you think LaughingLaughingLaughing

Three cheers for" dead farm animals". They are SO much easier to sliceBig Grin
Nobody knows what they died from. Could be anthrax for all you know.
(09-16-2012, 07:48 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Nobody knows what they died from. Could be anthrax for all you know.

I said I'm staying away from the Chicken treats.

besides you are right Nobody knows what they died from. How many died?

ONE????
I was referring to the dead animals included in "meat", as per legal definition for pet food. They could have died from anthrax, for all you know. I didn't say it's common, only that it's possible. Nobody checks the source animals for "meat" to see what it died from, and it can come from numerous sources too and still be "legal" as a pet food ingredient.

I have to say I was surprised by that, too.
My dog, Kali, would get raging bouts of horrible diarrhea.
The bright yellow gross kind.
We tried the process of elimination, including her beloved pig ears and her chews and couldn't find the common thread.
One night we shared quite a bit of leftover chicken breast with her and one of the worst bouts yet ensued.
We realized our beautiful Catahoula was allergic to chicken!!
We had to search and search for the proper food, we finally found a Nutro that was made from fish.
Even the Nutro or other brands that say Lamb still have that chicken meal stuff listed in the ingredients.
Kali got well and stayed that way.
Her vet explained the top three problems for dogs to digest are: 1. Wheat 2. Corn 2. Chicken.
If your dog ever experiences digestive difficulties, start your search with those three things.
I had a dog that was slowly starving to death, with access to an open bag of Science Diet dog food continuously. The vet wormed her and tried everything. Finally he said she must be allergic to the dog food, and to switch to a very bland lamb and rice based food, such as Iams. I did, and the dog instantly got better. I've fed Iams ever since.
(09-16-2012, 08:39 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I had a dog that was slowly starving to death, with access to an open bag of Science Diet dog food continuously. The vet wormed her and tried everything. Finally he said she must be allergic to the dog food, and to switch to a very bland lamb and rice based food, such as Iams. I did, and the dog instantly got better. I've fed Iams ever since.

Iams is good stuff...it's just that when a dog is allergic to chicken, look at the ingredients in Iams Lamb and Rice:

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Grits, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monosodium Phosphate, Caramel, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Citric Acid, Rosemary Extract.

It's great that lamb is the first ingredient, though.
Cheap dog foods have corn or wheat as the first ingredient.