Randy Newman-I'm Dreamin'...
(of a white president) Cool

Poe's Law
Quote:Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.
(09-19-2012, 01:03 AM)csrowan Wrote: Poe's Law
Quote:Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

OMG..you're absolutely correct.
I just assumed people would understand Randy Newman is the same fellow who composed and sang 'Short People'

It was late and I was tired...it was poor judgement to not make it clear it was satirical in nature.

Randy Newman is a staunch Obama supporter and is campaigning for him.

I apologize if folks took offense.
I was hoping it was satire. After the song had progressed enough, I was pretty sure of it. But I'm also sure there are people out there who fully believe in it.
Quote:It was late and I was tired...it was poor judgement to not make it clear it was satirical in nature.

No it wasn't.

Good grief it was OBVIOUSLY satire even if somehow you didn't know who Randy Newman is.
I used to think that it was obvious that the Colbert Report was satire. It was obvious to me, at least. But according to a study published in the International Journal of Press and Politics, "...conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements."

http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract
(09-19-2012, 12:15 PM)csrowan Wrote: I used to think that it was obvious that the Colbert Report was satire. It was obvious to me, at least. But according to a study published in the International Journal of Press and Politics, "...conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements."

http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract

It's reported that Mark Twain is have said that satire is the lowest form of humor. I think old Sam was kind of a grouch, at least at times.

Randy Newman's "Rednecks" was great satire in 1974. He continues even now. In a better world he would be poet laureate of the U.S.