Findings confirm site of 1855 Indian Wars battle in Southern Oregon
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw..._1855.html

Excerpt: "Archaeologists and volunteers have found musket balls and other artifacts confirming the site of the biggest battle of the Rogue River Indian Wars nearly 150 years ago.

Southern Oregon University announced that the site of the 1855 Battle of Hungry Hill is on federal land west of Interstate 5 in Southern Oregon between Glendale and Sunny Valley, The Mail Tribune reported Wednesday.

After fleeing an attack by Jacksonville miners on their Table Rock Reservation outside Gold Hill, a band of about 200 American Indians fought off about 300 soldiers and militia members over several days in October 1855. A few months later, the wars ended when the Indians were forced to move hundreds of miles from their home to the Grand Ronde and Siletz reservations.

Southern Oregon University archaeologist Mark Tveskov said the battle's location has long been a mystery, which was solved over the course of three years. Clues came from an old New York Herald newspaper account found by a member of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians, which provided new details of the battle, and a battle map in the National Archives located by a military historian.

In recent weeks, a team of searchers tramped the Grave Creek Hills west of the old Applegate Trail, now Interstate 5. They looked at two other likely sites and found no artifacts. At the third site, they found two unfired .69 caliber musket balls, which would fit the 1842 Springfield musketoon issued to Army dragoons at the time, and a lead stopper from a gunpowder flask. The artifacts matched similar items found at Fort Lane outside Gold Hill.

"Sometimes when you are out there, walking through the woods and finding nothing, you feel like you are crazy for doing it," Tveskov said. "And we had been doing that for three years."

Tveskov said they hope to return to the battlefield for more surveys, and to preserve the site for history. Until then, they are keeping its exact location secret.

Stephen Dow Beckham, professor emeritus of history at Lewis & Clark College, wrote an account of the battle in his history of the Rogue River Wars, "Requiem for a People."

He told The Associated Press that about 200 Indians, including women and children, were camped in timber on a ridge west of the Applegate Trail between Wolf Creek and Cow Creek, where they were attacked by about 250 local militia members. In the fall, when rivers had fallen too low for placer mining, the miners would then regularly attack the local Indians and bill the government.

A platoon of Army dragoons blazing a trail from Port Orford on the coast to the Applegate Trail stumbled into the fight and threw in with the militias. They were commanded by West Point graduate Lt. August Valentine Kautz, who was shot in the chest but saved by his pocket diary, which stopped the bullet. He went on to be a general in the Civil War.

Beckham said seven volunteers were killed and 20 wounded, and four Army soldiers were killed and seven wounded. About 20 Indians were killed.

"It was a sobering wakeup call for the Oregon volunteers," Beckham said. "Even though they had five companies in the field, they were not able to crush the Native Americans."

Beckham said a map in the Bancroft Library at the University of California at Berkeley shows seven graves on the battlefield, where militiamen killed in the battle likely remain buried to this day."
When The Oregon Volunteers received word that Crook's troops, were pinned down in The Lava Beds by Jack's Squaws, they didn't hesitate to assemble. Not caring for their own safety, and leaving behind the comfort of their homes, they rode without stopping, until they came within hearing range, of shots fired in anger. But, to their dismay, their advance was stopped, when they came upon a chasm so deep they couldn't cross it, and so wide they couldn't skirt it. Oregon's Grand Canyon is lost to history, and probably the truth should be, too.
From this story one can assume the miners have always been assholes.
To this day, they might not be hunting Indians, but they love to tear up fish habitat and terrorize folks who come near their claim.
I found it interesting that every fall, when the waters dried up too much for placer mining, the miners chased Indians instead and got paid by the government to do it.
(09-27-2012, 09:32 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I found it interesting that every fall, when the waters dried up too much for placer mining, the miners chased Indians instead and got paid by the government to do it.

Yep, that's what I was referring to.
They appear to be a generally unsavory, violent bunch.
I'm speaking generally, I'm sure there are exceptions, there
are exceptions to just about everything.
Except, us white folks were all miners back then. Illc is only a little more honest than most about what his family was up to.
(09-27-2012, 09:38 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Except, us white folks were all miners back then. Illc is only a little more honest than most about what his family was up to.

You really think so?
Not that they weren't all itchin' to kill an Indian, but I always thought there were families who traveled here to work the land, and men who migrated west to mine, leaving their families behind while they sought their fortune out West.
Oh, I'm sure they weren't all literally miners (for example, some were merchants), but the mindset I believe was the same.
For what it's worth, I think many of the points of reference in this article can be guessed at now. For example, heading west out of Glendale, there's a military-straight road heading towards Powers (and, the coast) for many miles (paved on the first portion, oddly enough, with no traffic anytime I've been on it) that seems likely to have be the road they're talking about. And, between Glendale and Wolf Creek there's really only one ridge "west of I-5", and the freeway goes over it too.
What an interesting story. We need to be reminded of this history and the part played by the 'white man' in the subjugation of Native Americans. It is a shameful history but one we must not forget.
(09-27-2012, 09:46 AM)Clone Wrote:
(09-27-2012, 09:38 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Except, us white folks were all miners back then. Illc is only a little more honest than most about what his family was up to.

You really think so?
Not that they weren't all itchin' to kill an Indian, but I always thought there were families who traveled here to work the land, and men who migrated west to mine, leaving their families behind while they sought their fortune out West.

Killing Indians was a lot easier back then. Now a days, there just aren't as many to kill.
(09-27-2012, 12:46 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-27-2012, 09:46 AM)Clone Wrote:

You really think so?

Killing Indians was a lot easier back then. Now a days, there just aren't as many to kill.
no more gold to steal.
(09-27-2012, 09:30 AM)Clone Wrote: From this story one can assume the miners have always been assholes.
To this day, they might not be hunting Indians, but they love to tear up fish habitat and terrorize folks who come near their claim.

One can assume? You do your own assuming. I know miners who are good people who don't hurt the land or the animals.
I don't believe it. It's impossible to mine and not hurt the land.
(09-27-2012, 12:01 PM)TennisMom Wrote: What an interesting story. We need to be reminded of this history and the part played by the 'white man' in the subjugation of Native Americans. It is a shameful history but one we must not forget.

Some of it is shameful TM but most of it was simply a mass migration of Europeans and in those days it was common to care little about the ignorant savages who lived here.
It's simply the way people felt and acted hundreds of years ago. It's only shameful based on todays morals.
If you were there then you most likely would not have been ashamed whatsoever.
(09-27-2012, 01:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't believe it. It's impossible to mine and not hurt the land.

Apparently you never dredged in a river before. I have and I didn't harm the land at all.
OK, so you hurt the river instead. Minor distinction. It still destroyed fish habitat, sucked away microorganisms, and sent sediment flying downstream to choke fish eggs and destroy other habitat. You see, I've been around people dredging, too.
(09-27-2012, 01:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't believe it. It's impossible to mine and not hurt the land.

define "hurt"

I watched a documentary style TV show where gold miners with heavy equipment were well on there way in to a mining operation. But then they learned that the land had already been mined .
It had been mined with a huge monstrosity of a dredge 60 to 80 years ago. None of these guys knew this because the land that was mined was covered with big spruce trees and looked EXACTLY like the land that had never been mined.
(09-27-2012, 01:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: in those days it was common to care little about the ignorant savages who lived here.
It's simply the way people felt and acted hundreds of years ago. It's only shameful based on todays morals.
If you were there then you most likely would not have been ashamed whatsoever.

No different than shooting squirrels for pleasure or thinking some people "need to be killed", I imagine. Ninja
(09-27-2012, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

define "hurt"

I watched a documentary style TV show where gold miners with heavy equipment were well on there way in to a mining operation. But then they learned that the land had already been mined .
It had been mined with a huge monstrosity of a dredge 60 to 80 years ago. None of these guys knew this because the land that was mined was covered with big spruce trees and looked EXACTLY like the land that had never been mined.

I didn't say irreparably harmed, because I know the land can be healed and sometimes even heals itself. But there was a period that harm persisted.

I know this because I've harmed the land in real estate development myself. I always try to fix it, and with care eventually it fades away, but it's impossible to do things like that and not have a period of harm. Everything we do has an impact somehow.

We've all seen mining operations that went horribly wrong and may never be right, too.