Cut Off a Cop Car - Get Shot D-E-A-D
A New York police detective shot and killed an unarmed man, whose hands, a witness said, were on the steering wheel of his Honda, after he had been pulled over early Thursday for cutting off two police vehicles on the Grand Central Parkway in Queens, the authorities said
The shooting, which occurred at 5:15 a.m., was the latest in a series of episodes in which policeofficers fatally shot or wounded civilians. While the Police Department had explanations in the other instances, it could not immediately provide one for the shooting on Thursday.
The detective, Hassan Hamdy, 39, a 14-year veteran assigned to the Emergency Service Unit, fired one bullet through an open window of the car, which his squad had just pulled over with the help of a second police vehicle. The bullet struck the driver, Noel Polanco, 22, in the abdomen area. He was declared dead less than an hour later at New York Hospital Queens.
Paul J. Browne, the department’s chief spokesman, initially said there were reports of movement inside the car, although he did not elaborate. Mr. Browne said a small power drill was found on the floor on the driver’s side, but he later appeared to play down the importance of that information.
“We looked for a weapon, we didn’t find any; we found a drill,” he said in a news briefing at Police Headquarters. “I’m not saying it played a role. I’m just saying we looked for a weapon. We did not find a weapon. The only thing we found was that drill.”
The shooting followed a string of fatal police encounters. In August, the police shot and killed a 51-year-old man armed with a long kitchen knife in Times Square; the police said the man had lunged at them.
Also in August, two officers fatally shot an armed gunman who had just killed a former co-worker outside the Empire State Building. In that shooting, nine bystanders were injured by bullets or ricochet fragments.
Last month, an officer inadvertently shot and killed a Bronx bodega employee: he was fleeing armed robbers and collided with the officer, whose gun accidentally discharged. And last week, officers with the Emergency Service Unit killed a Harlem man in the doorway of his apartment; the police said they had unsuccessfully tried to subdue him and he lunged at them with a knife.
Police union officials were perplexed by the shooting on the parkway.
“I see a spike in police shootings; I do,” said Edward Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association. “For the most part, they are all coming back as justified. This is the first one that’s up for question.”
Rest of NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/nyregi...tw-nytimes
They should have a waiting period before you can purchase a drill.
(10-04-2012, 08:29 PM)chuck white Wrote: They should have a waiting period before you can purchase a drill.

Something, anyway. Sad
(10-04-2012, 08:29 PM)chuck white Wrote: They should have a waiting period before you can purchase a drill.

Really!
But, this is scary stuff. When citizens begin to feel the police are a danger to them, things get real strange.
Folks living in "ghettos" have know this forever. When it spreads to the streets all over the boroughs, something dark is going on.
Things are tense all over. Be careful out there.
You know what I think, but in case you forgot here is the condensed version. Cops need to undergo psychological evaluations on a regular basis. Many people that want to be cops should not be cops. They need to be held to a standard above all other professions. They have fucking guns and can shoot people dead. Oh, and fuck you in advance TVguy.
(10-04-2012, 08:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You know what I think, but in case you forgot here is the condensed version. Cops need to undergo psychological evaluations on a regular basis. Many people that want to be cops should not be cops. They need to be held to a standard above all other professions. They have fucking guns and can shoot people dead. Oh, and fuck you in advance TVguy.

And now, they are being supplied with war weapons from the Department of Homeland Security.

The NYPD has an anti-terrorist unit working with the FBI in NEW JERSEY.
(10-04-2012, 08:58 PM)Clone Wrote:
(10-04-2012, 08:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You know what I think, but in case you forgot here is the condensed version. Cops need to undergo psychological evaluations on a regular basis. Many people that want to be cops should not be cops. They need to be held to a standard above all other professions. They have fucking guns and can shoot people dead. Oh, and fuck you in advance TVguy.

And now, they are being supplied with war weapons from the Department of Homeland Security.

The NYPD has an anti-terrorist unit working with the FBI in NEW JERSEY.

I think Clete is right! The testing should be ongoing. They are to be held to a higher standard. And when preforming well, they deserve respect, our trust, and continued good pay and retirement. the key being, THEY MUST MEET THAT HIGHER STANDARD.

NYPD Blue with BIG guns, working in Jersey with the FBI. Shiit. Sounds like a good bad movie.
[Image: 255456_495919710427651_538578813_n.jpg]
Wow, it never fails. Clone seems to lead the pack in these early guilty verdicts when ever it concerns the police.
I guess there's no point in hearing both sides of the story.

The facebook poster says the cops "instantly shot Polanco to death on approaching his vehicle.
The woman in the back seat said she raised her hands when the cops gave that order but the driver apparently didn't.
I don't know what happened, why is it impossible to believe that the cop didn't accidentally shoot? Or that the driver made a sudden move?

It seems unlikely to me that an experienced cop would simply shoot someone right in front of several other cops and two witnesses inside the car because he was mad??? Really? This is what you all CHOOSE to believe?

Hey it's possible and could be true. But sorry if I once again refuse to jump on the bandwagon with the forum cop haters.
Who could imagine the kind of people that want to be cops ever possibly doing such a thing?
(10-05-2012, 02:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wow, it never fails. Clone seems to lead the pack in these early guilty verdicts when ever it concerns the police.
I guess there's no point in hearing both sides of the story.

The facebook poster says the cops "instantly shot Polanco to death on approaching his vehicle.
The woman in the back seat said she raised her hands when the cops gave that order but the driver apparently didn't.
I don't know what happened, why is it impossible to believe that the cop didn't accidentally shoot? Or that the driver made a sudden move?

It seems unlikely to me that an experienced cop would simply shoot someone right in front of several other cops and two witnesses inside the car because he was mad??? Really? This is what you all CHOOSE to believe?

Hey it's possible and could be true. But sorry if I once again refuse to jump on the bandwagon with the forum cop haters.

Here's what the story says:
Quote:A New York police detective shot and killed an unarmed man, whose hands, a witness said, were on the steering wheel of his Honda, after he had been pulled over early Thursday for cutting off two police trucks on the Grand Central Parkway in Queens, the authorities said.
Quote:She said a group of officers swarmed the car, yelling for the three people in Mr. Polanco’s car to put their hands up. Mr. Polanco, whose hands were still on the steering wheel, had no time to comply, Ms. Deferrari said. At that instant, a shot rang out, and Mr. Polanco gasped for air, she said.

So according to the witness, the driver wasn't given time to respond. He was shot immediately/instantly. The police haven't given a response. One would assume that if this was incorrect or even in question, they would announce an investigation and a 'no comment', but it sounds like they haven't even done that. And I checked to see if there was further news. No statements from the police at this time.

I'll go one further and say, generally speaking, just the fact that you want to be a cop should disqualify you from ever becoming one. How many cops get into it for purely altruistic reasons? IMHO, THAT is the standard that they should be held to.

And just for the hell of it:

So from now on, don't trust cops. Shoot first before they shoot you.
Quote: 'GoCometsGo'

I'll go one further and say, generally speaking, just the fact that you want to be a cop should disqualify you from ever becoming one. How many cops get into it for purely altruistic reasons? IMHO, THAT is the standard that they should be held to.

A little while ago I said that you never posted anything that would make me question your intelligence.
So much for that. Now you have.
On the popular TV show "COPS" they are often asked why they chose the profession. A very common answer is that they had a very memorable and happy memory of the first time they say a cop when they were a kid.
And that they always wanted to one day help people like the cop they remembered.
Another common reason is it's a family tradition. And also a lot of militarily apply for law enforcement positions.
My son( Marine) was at one timing considering becoming a state trooper. A very large percentage of state troopers are ex marine.
I have always found troopers to be especially professional at their job.

Your assessment is stupid, bigoted and surprises me.
Not everybody appreciates getting bossed around by an ex marine with attitude. Especially when that attitude is generally "oh well, these things happen in battle", and we all know they don't mind using their weapons in a lethal manner.
Here's what the story says:
Quote:A New York police detective shot and killed an unarmed man, whose hands, a witness said, were on the steering wheel of his Honda, after he had been pulled over early Thursday for cutting off two police trucks on the Grand Central Parkway in Queens, the authorities said.
Quote:She said a group of officers swarmed the car, yelling for the three people in Mr. Polanco’s car to put their hands up. Mr. Polanco, whose hands were still on the steering wheel, had no time to comply, Ms. Deferrari said. At that instant, a shot rang out, and Mr. Polanco gasped for air, she said.

Quote: Rowan.. So according to the witness, the driver wasn't given time to respond. He was shot immediately/instantly.

Did you read the entire article?? Because you only quoted what was said on page one. On page two she says something totally different.

Mr. Browne said Ms. Deferrari told investigators that when the officers ordered her to put her hands up, she complied, but Mr. Polanco, when last she looked, had his hands on the steering wheel.

“What she said was that she complied with the officer’s directions to raise their hands,” Mr. Browne said. “She said the last time she looked at the driver, his hands were still on the wheel.”
Hands on the wheel are hands that are already plainly visible, so this was an unreasonable request for no good reason to begin with. Besides, who raises their hands all the way when their seated inside a car? The roof isn't high enough!

I don't know about you, but I've never been ordered to raise my hands. I can imagine, in the spur of the moment, it would be easy for a motorist to think hands plainly visible on a steering wheel are already raised. This shooting is still unreasonable, no matter how you paint it.

And if it is reasonable to order someone to raise their hands in a car, perhaps it's time for some roof holsters. Ninja
(10-05-2012, 06:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Not everybody appreciates getting bossed around by an ex marine with attitude. Especially when that attitude is generally "oh well, these things happen in battle", and we all know they don't mind using their weapons in a lethal manner.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Your bigotry towards any soldier or policeman's is well known.
Your post generalizing all marines is a good example of your ignorant profiling.

I was posting to GCG and I had no idea he could be anything like you.
(10-05-2012, 06:11 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Hands on the wheel are hands that are plainly visible, so this was an unreasonable request. Besides, who raises their hands all the way when their seated inside a car? The roof isn't high enough! This is a nonsense request to start with, for such a minor offense particularly.

So now you are an expert qualified to tell us what police procedure should be?

What's the cop supposed to say to three people..? "everyone raise their hands except for the driver who may leave his on the steering wheel"

The cops had to force this guy to stop. He was driving recklessly and like an idiot. I would think it's possible he was dangerous also which is why they police approached with guns drawn.
(10-05-2012, 06:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: So now you are an expert qualified to tell us what police procedure should be?

Well, you consider yourself an expert because you watch cop tv shows. Laughing

I'm very certain I've dealt with far more undercover cops than you ever have.