Cut Off a Cop Car - Get Shot D-E-A-D
(10-05-2012, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote: 'GoCometsGo'

I'll go one further and say, generally speaking, just the fact that you want to be a cop should disqualify you from ever becoming one. How many cops get into it for purely altruistic reasons? IMHO, THAT is the standard that they should be held to.

A little while ago I said that you never posted anything that would make me question your intelligence.
So much for that. Now you have.
On the popular TV show "COPS" they are often asked why they chose the profession. A very common answer is that they had a very memorable and happy memory of the first time they say a cop when they were a kid.
And that they always wanted to one day help people like the cop they remembered.
Another common reason is it's a family tradition. And also a lot of militarily apply for law enforcement positions.
My son( Marine) was at one timing considering becoming a state trooper. A very large percentage of state troopers are ex marine.
I have always found troopers to be especially professional at their job.

Your assessment is stupid, bigoted and surprises me.

I guess my experience with cops has been different than yours. I applaud any cop that gets into it for the right reasons. I have met very few... which is why I began my statement with the words: "generally speaking." Incidentally, how many cops, on TV or not, would admit to anything other than solid reasons for joining the force?

Having driven 2 or 3 million miles in my life... all of them accident free... I have met my share of state troopers. I'd say that OF THOSE THAT I HAVE MET, most were rude and arrogant to me right off the get go. Not because I did anything to deserve it but because they assumed I was going to be rude to them. It wasn't until they realized that I wasn't going to fit their preconceived notion of me that they relaxed and acted almost reasonable. Yeah I got some tickets and yeah I got away with a few... but that is not the point. The point is that cops should treat people with respect UNTIL they deserve otherwise.

Here is a quick example of my most recent run in with the law. I was in Central Point and a trooper pulled me over. He came up to my window and started right in on me. When I denied his accusation he accused me of lying. When I explained exactly what took place he went and got his tape measure and started measuring some stuff and realized that I was telling the truth. So then, instead of apologizing and sending me on my way, he proceeded to write me a totally different ticket based on some obscure wording of a law... there was no way he was going to admit defeat. He was, for me, a typical cop.

I have had cops cite me and admit the ticket was baseless and then challenge me to fight them in court. I have had a certain cop write me 3 times for delivering goods FROM A SERVICE ALLEY only to find out months later that they were moving violations. I lost my license over those tickets. I have 33 years worth of stories like these. And yeah... I have met a FEW cops that were reasonable and decent. These few were certainly the exception and not the rule... for me anyhow.
It's good the sheriffs were forced to let the officer go, who was beating his underage squeeze. And, who never went to jail for statutory rape, or furnishing liquor to a minor. I wonder where they wound up parking that freak? Some cozy spot, way out of sight, I imagine.
(10-05-2012, 06:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(10-05-2012, 06:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: So now you are an expert qualified to tell us what police procedure should be?

Well, you consider yourself an expert because you watch cop tv shows. Laughing

I'm very certain I've dealt with far more undercover cops than you ever have.

I didn't say I was any kind of expert. You were the one saying these police made an unreasonable request not me. You were the one acting as if the cops should have not have been ready to deal with someone who could be dangerous not me.
Yup. Sounds like road rage by cop to me.
From the OP:

Police union officials were perplexed by the shooting on the parkway.
“I see a spike in police shootings; I do,” said Edward Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association. “For the most part, they are all coming back as justified. This is the first one that’s up for question.”
(10-05-2012, 06:20 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(10-05-2012, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote: 'GoCometsGo'

I'll go one further and say, generally speaking, just the fact that you want to be a cop should disqualify you from ever becoming one. How many cops get into it for purely altruistic reasons? IMHO, THAT is the standard that they should be held to.

A little while ago I said that you never posted anything that would make me question your intelligence.
So much for that. Now you have.
On the popular TV show "COPS" they are often asked why they chose the profession. A very common answer is that they had a very memorable and happy memory of the first time they say a cop when they were a kid.
And that they always wanted to one day help people like the cop they remembered.
Another common reason is it's a family tradition. And also a lot of militarily apply for law enforcement positions.
My son( Marine) was at one timing considering becoming a state trooper. A very large percentage of state troopers are ex marine.
I have always found troopers to be especially professional at their job.

Your assessment is stupid, bigoted and surprises me.

I guess my experience with cops has been different than yours. I applaud any cop that gets into it for the right reasons. I have met very few... which is why I began my statement with the words: "generally speaking." Incidentally, how many cops, on TV or not, would admit to anything other than solid reasons for joining the force?

Having driven 2 or 3 million miles in my life... all of them accident free... I have met my share of state troopers. I'd say that OF THOSE THAT I HAVE MET, most were rude and arrogant to me right off the get go. Not because I did anything to deserve it but because they assumed I was going to be rude to them. It wasn't until they realized that I wasn't going to fit their preconceived notion of me that they relaxed and acted almost reasonable. Yeah I got some tickets and yeah I got away with a few... but that is not the point. The point is that cops should treat people with respect UNTIL they deserve otherwise.

Here is a quick example of my most recent run in with the law. I was in Central Point and a trooper pulled me over. He came up to my window and started right in on me. When I denied his accusation he accused me of lying. When I explained exactly what took place he went and got his tape measure and started measuring some stuff and realized that I was telling the truth. So then, instead of apologizing and sending me on my way, he proceeded to write me a totally different ticket based on some obscure wording of a law... there was no way he was going to admit defeat. He was, for me, a typical cop.

I have had cops cite me and admit the ticket was baseless and then challenge me to fight them in court. I have had a certain cop write me 3 times for delivering goods FROM A SERVICE ALLEY only to find out months later that they were moving violations. I lost my license over those tickets. I have 33 years worth of stories like these. And yeah... I have met a FEW cops that were reasonable and decent. These few were certainly the exception and not the rule... for me anyhow.

The world? You are criticizing all police because of the actions of a few. I could do the same thing.
Your anecdotal evidence does NOTHING to excuse saying just the fact that you want to be a cop should disqualify you from ever becoming one
and pointing out that you preceded that comment with "generally speaking" doesn't doesn't change much either.

You've had a lot of bad run ins with traffic cops with bad attitude towards truckers. I guarantee you that some cop somewhere is saying anyone who wants to be a truck driver is an idiot.
I bet many truckers are just as responsible for these cops attitudes as the cops themselves.

BTW you saying "I applaud any cop that gets into it for the right reasons." is a contradiction to your first post. But I applaud you for saying it.
(10-05-2012, 07:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Yup. Sounds like road rage by cop to me.

You mean by the deceased? Yeah I think you are right. He must have been in a rage to drive like that.
(10-05-2012, 07:13 PM)Clone Wrote: From the OP:

Police union officials were perplexed by the shooting on the parkway.
“I see a spike in police shootings; I do,” said Edward Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association. “For the most part, they are all coming back as justified. This is the first one that’s up for question.”

What's your point Clone? Of course this one is up for question.Is ANYONE saying anything different?