Evolution is "lies straight from the pit of Hell" - U.S. Rep. Paul Broun, R.
This from one of the "scientists" running our government: http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/...-hell?lite

Excerpt: "U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are "lies straight from the pit of Hell" is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared "the Year of the Bible." But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee's panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga. Here's a transcript of the Bridge Project's snippet:

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says.

"And what I've come to learn is that it's the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."
Next year, he 'll claim the earth is 9001 years old.
It'd be nice to think we were Art Robinson's guinea pigs. But no. We were just his victims.
(10-06-2012, 01:46 AM)PonderThis Wrote: This from one of the "scientists" running our government: http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/...-hell?lite

Excerpt: "U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are "lies straight from the pit of Hell" is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared "the Year of the Bible." But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee's panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga. Here's a transcript of the Bridge Project's snippet:

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says.

"And what I've come to learn is that it's the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."

True, physicians are "scientists".
True, this guy is part of "our government"
Also true: This doctor and member of congress is a nut job who will attract attention.
More truth: Hey! He somehow attracted our attention.
Final truth: We may have to be more careful in allowing ourselves to be distracted. We already know there are some very goofy people in our national leadership. Always have been, always will be.

So Ponder, what's your point here?

We are at an intersection in debating how our country is going to decide the best way to govern it's self. The polarization here on The Forum shows clearly the divide in attitudes.

I support a strong central government because I feel there are no other institutions capable of providing the necessary safety nets we need to protect our social well being. I also favor personal responsibility and oversight to keep freeloading "entitlement junkies" from bleeding us dry. I support regulations that will keep corporations from screwing us during the night when we are sleeping. This is the conversation I feel is important. What this goofy doctor doctor from Georgia rants about is distracting.

We are fast approaching a very important election. I've voting for democrats for the reasons I tried to outline above. Sometimes I have to hold my nose as I vote, but better than voting the other way and barfing. Staying with Democratic programs we will at least have something to later fix. Letting Republicans turn us into a us vs. them society will sink this great experiment in a successful democratic republic.

I am Wonky, and I approved this message.
You know me, I view all religion as divisive and distracting. Until we expose this wound for all to see and let the vapors and poison escape, religion will remain as a problem. I'm doing my part, as best I see it. Who we elect in November is only part of the battle, whereas I have a longer term goal in mind.

Besides, this goofy guy will be reelected irregardless. No opponent is running in his race. Yes, we elect people this stupid to carry on our government for us. Sad
(10-06-2012, 02:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You know me, I view all religion as divisive and distracting. Until we expose this wound for all to see and let the vapors and poison escape, religion will remain as a problem. I'm doing my part, as best I see it. Who we elect in November is only part of the battle, whereas I have a longer term goal in mind.

Besides, this goofy guy will be reelected irregardless. No opponent is running in his race. Yes, we elect people this stupid to carry on our government for us. Sad

Yep, we know you.
The same story in a video. Reading is so yesterday.