Albert Einstein "Religion is childish" letter up for auction
What Albert Einstein, with an estimated IQ of 160, had to say about religion: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...LLION.html

[Image: article-0-0E0A5A0600000578-230_306x423.jpg]

Excerpt: "A handwritten letter by Albert Einstein in which he calls religion 'childish' is to be sold at auction - with a starting price of £1.85million.

The Nobel Prize-winning scientist questions the existence of God in a letter penned to philosopher Eric Gutkind in 1954.

In the private letter, which was a response to Gutkind’s book ‘Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt’, the genius says the word God is 'nothing more than the expression of human weaknesses'.

[Image: article-0-1551905C000005DC-927_634x826.jpg]

The agnostic Jew goes on to say the Bible is a 'collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish'.

He adds: 'For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions.

'And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.

He added: 'As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power.

'Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.'

The letter, written one year before the German’s death in 1955, is commonly known as ‘The God Letter’.

When it was offered by Bloomsbury Auctions in 2008 it had an estimate of just £8,000. But a bidding frenzy resulted in one anonymous person eventually paying a staggering £170,000.

The letter has been stored in a temperature-controlled vault and will be sold through LA-based Auction Cause with a starting bid of $3 million (£1.85million). However, it has been estimated the letter could fetch as much as twice this figure.

Eric Gazin, president of Auction Cause, said: 'This letter, in my opinion, is really of historical and cultural significance as these are the personal and private thoughts of arguably the smartest man of the 20th century.

'The letter was written near the end of his life, after a lifetime of learning and thought.'

Einstein was a theoretical physicist who developed the general theory of relativity, effecting a revolution in physics.

For this achievement, Einstein is often regarded as the father of modern physics."
I picked God up for chickenfeed. In a junk drawer, at another auction of Einstein stuff. The Chinese say he isn't fixable. Over laws of physics, (That birds ignore). And, the boat got in the water, the day before yesterday. So, God has been boxed up, and stuck in the guitar room. Someone with more time, can get him up and running. And, there will always be that someone. And, he won't be receiving faith based funding. If you want something in Heaven, with a little better view (Rather than a cot, under an overturned garbage scow, on the edge of a smelly slew, like Dubya) then make your contibutions (Cash, or US Postal Money Order) to:

FOG (Father Of God) Ministries
Attn: Ill Commandante
c/o Postmaster
Ouaco, Tejas
(10-06-2012, 10:02 AM)PonderThis Wrote: What Albert Einstein, with an estimated IQ of 160, had to say about religion: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...LLION.html

For this achievement, Einstein is often regarded as the father of modern physics."

So Ponder, you gonna bid?

Albert was a messed up adult who had trouble with almost all relationships. I wonder why we give a flying fig about his reflections about "life". His brilliance burned in one discipline. Even that, burned out. But what brilliance it was!
(10-06-2012, 03:00 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-06-2012, 10:02 AM)PonderThis Wrote: What Albert Einstein, with an estimated IQ of 160, had to say about religion: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...LLION.html

So Ponder, you gonna bid?

Albert was a messed up adult who had trouble with almost all relationships.

Sorry, but at $2.5 million (U.S.) it's a little out of my league.

However, I do have particular empathy for those kinds of people. Smiling
Albert wrote that before the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'm sure he would have felt different, if he knew the truth.
Albert's wife helped him, with his trouble with relationships. So, there is likely sound evidence behind the "Genius" tag.