Happy Columbus Day
(10-10-2018, 08:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:22 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Honestly if we are going to start celebrating explorers, lets celebrate astronauts.  Or scientist.  How about Galileo?  I just think there is a lack of relevance with Columbus.

If we are going to "start' celebrating explorers?

I just think there is a lack of relevance with Columbus.

I suppose so but what I object to is the modern day reasoning for getting rid of Columbus day

I object to it being a Federal holiday. IMHO, a day honoring him does not merit that recognition. Look at the names of the others that have Federal holiday status:

George Washington, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus Christ. The balance of the Federal holidays are not in honor of a particular person. As I said before, it REALLY is about keeping a paid holiday intact for certain workers.

But I 100% agree with tvguy on the part about the world being different then. Hell, they used to bleed people to get rid of disease. It was accepted. It was wrong. Move on and learn from our mistakes. Were we, as humans, expected to get it right from the get go? Well we didn't. And we have a long way to go.

Well MLK day USED to be Abraham Lincoln day.  Maybe they could do some kind of amalgamation day.  Of all the shit people who got us here where we are now.

That's a brilliant idea! All The Shit People Day! I'm all for it!

It could confuse some people though...   Laughing
(10-10-2018, 08:39 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 08:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:22 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Honestly if we are going to start celebrating explorers, lets celebrate astronauts.  Or scientist.  How about Galileo?  I just think there is a lack of relevance with Columbus.

If we are going to "start' celebrating explorers?

I just think there is a lack of relevance with Columbus.

I suppose so but what I object to is the modern day reasoning for getting rid of Columbus day

I object to it being a Federal holiday. IMHO, a day honoring him does not merit that recognition. Look at the names of the others that have Federal holiday status:

George Washington, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus Christ. The balance of the Federal holidays are not in honor of a particular person. As I said before, it REALLY is about keeping a paid holiday intact for certain workers.

But I 100% agree with tvguy on the part about the world being different then. Hell, they used to bleed people to get rid of disease. It was accepted. It was wrong. Move on and learn from our mistakes. Were we, as humans, expected to get it right from the get go? Well we didn't. And we have a long way to go.

Well MLK day USED to be Abraham Lincoln day.  Maybe they could do some kind of amalgamation day.  Of all the shit people who got us here where we are now.

That's a brilliant idea! All The Shit People Day! I'm all for it!

It could confuse some people though...   Laughing

Yeah?  Well, let 'em be confused. Wink