Happy Columbus Day
(10-08-2012, 05:48 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:45 PM)csrowan Wrote: (and I don't want to cancel Christmas, I just don't want it to be a federal holiday either.)

Tell us your opinion on acceptable Federal Holidays. 4th of July ok? Thanksgiving? Veterans Day? Memorial Day? Would you be in favor of a new one in the future for 9/11?

It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion.

If it's to celebrate a person, that person should be worth celebrating. Otherwise, celebrate the specific event or concept and don't name it after the person.

If it's to remember something tragic, it shouldn't be about what we legislated or who we fought after the tragedy. It should be only about remembering the tragedy.

If it is to honor a group of people, it should be to honor them as individuals, and not to honor the organization to which they belonged.

Now can we get back to the topic at hand?
(10-08-2012, 05:57 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:45 PM)csrowan Wrote: (and I don't want to cancel Christmas, I just don't want it to be a federal holiday either.)

Tell us your opinion on acceptable Federal Holidays. 4th of July ok? Thanksgiving? Veterans Day? Memorial Day? Would you be in favor of a new one in the future for 9/11?

It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion.

If it's to celebrate a person, that person should be worth celebrating. Otherwise, celebrate the specific event or concept and don't name it after the person.

If it's to remember something tragic, it shouldn't be about what we legislated or who we fought after the tragedy. It should be only about remembering the tragedy.

If it is to honor a group of people, it should be to honor them as individuals, and not to honor the organization to which they belonged.

I think this is very relevant to the topic. Could you answer the specific holidays I mentioned?
(10-08-2012, 05:45 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: "IT" is just a day. It's a day when we celebrate the discovery of this great country.
Who gives a rats ass about the way people behaved back then or if Columbus thought he was in India.

I don't and I don't understand why you guys do.

I care, because no one tells kids these things. When I was in school, none of this was mentioned. It wasn't until high school that they taught us that the US and its predecessors did horrible things.

Wouldn't it be better to say "This happened, it was bad. We must learn from it." instead of worshiping a false idol?

Why should we have a federal holiday named after a genocidal maniac?

(and I don't want to cancel Christmas, I just don't want it to be a federal holiday either.)

Who the hell "worships" Christopher Columbus??LaughingLaughing
(10-08-2012, 06:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:45 PM)csrowan Wrote: ...
Wouldn't it be better to say "This happened, it was bad. We must learn from it." instead of worshiping a false idol?

So, hyperbole to demonstrate a point is not acceptable, but raging against someone's position by calling them names is?
(10-08-2012, 06:02 PM)Larry Wrote:

I think this is very relevant to the topic. Could you answer the specific holidays I mentioned?

Could you read what I wrote and figure it out from that?
(10-08-2012, 06:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: Who the hell "worships" Christopher Columbus??LaughingLaughing

You are such a numbnuts, t.v.
Honestly.
(10-08-2012, 06:10 PM)csrowan Wrote:

No. I like it when people say it outloud. If you would.
(10-08-2012, 06:09 PM)csrowan Wrote:

So, hyperbole to demonstrate a point is not acceptable, but raging against someone's position by calling them names is?

Was I raging against you?? and If I was "raging" at someone else what the fuck business it that of yours? What does it have to do with anything right now .

I know. You are still all but hurt because you weren't successful with your reporting, tattletale, control the forum quest.

Cry me a river

Tell me where Thanksgiving is in your "explanation"?

It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion. No Federal recognition of Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving.

If it's to celebrate a person, that person should be worth celebrating. Otherwise, celebrate the specific event or concept and don't name it after the person. Not Jesus of course. Who in YOUR opinion fits this criteria?

If it's to remember something tragic, it shouldn't be about what we legislated or who we fought after the tragedy. It should be only about remembering the tragedy. So 9/11 is a yes, as long as we never mention who did it?

If it is to honor a group of people, it should be to honor them as individuals, and not to honor the organization to which they belonged. And for the finale... NO Veterans Day, NO Memorial Day, except to specific individuals.

So in conclusion.... I still want to know WHICH federal holidays you agree with? Any?
(10-08-2012, 06:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Was I raging against you?? and If I was "raging" at someone else what the fuck business it that of yours? What does it have to do with anything right now .

I know. You are still all but hurt because you weren't successful with your reporting, tattletale, control the forum quest.

Cry me a river

I was referring to your tendency to call a number of people on the forum names. You objected to my use of hyperbole to demonstrate an argument. I find that ...amusing isn't quite the word, but it will do..., given your use of invective (which, in my opinion, tends toward outrageous hyperbole, and does nothing to advance discussion on the topics).
(10-08-2012, 06:24 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:48 PM)Larry Wrote: Tell us your opinion on acceptable Federal Holidays. 4th of July ok? Thanksgiving? Veterans Day? Memorial Day? Would you be in favor of a new one in the future for 9/11?

It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion. No Federal recognition of Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving.

If it's to celebrate a person, that person should be worth celebrating. Otherwise, celebrate the specific event or concept and don't name it after the person. Not Jesus of course. Who in YOUR opinion fits this criteria?

If it's to remember something tragic, it shouldn't be about what we legislated or who we fought after the tragedy. It should be only about remembering the tragedy. So 9/11 is a yes, as long as we never mention who did it?

If it is to honor a group of people, it should be to honor them as individuals, and not to honor the organization to which they belonged. And for the finale... NO Veterans Day, NO Memorial Day, except to specific individuals.

So in conclusion.... I still want to know WHICH federal holidays you agree with? Any?

This is a perfect example of a straw man argument. The subject is Columbus Day, and he's made it explicitly clear he's not in favor of celebrating a despot like Christopher Columbus. Are you really so daft you can't understand that?

All this talk of other holidays, if it's important to you, should be its own subjects. I can't for the life of me figure their importance to you here. Do any of these other holidays celebrate despots by name? Then, you can presume he's OK with them. Sheesh! Talk about idiotic feigned outrage.
(10-08-2012, 06:35 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:24 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion. No Federal recognition of Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving.

This is a perfect example of a straw man argument. The subject is Columbus Day, and he's made it explicitly clear he's not in favor of celebrating a despot like Christopher Columbus. Are you really so daft you can't understand that?

All this talk of other holidays, if it's important to you, should be its own subjects. I can't for the life of me figure their importance to you here. Do any of these other holidays celebrate despots by name? Then, you can presume he's OK with them. Sheesh! Talk about idiotic feigned outrage.

He asked me to read his vagueness and decipher his answers. Stay out of the big boy ring while you have the chance.
(10-08-2012, 06:38 PM)Larry Wrote: He asked me to read his vagueness and decipher his answers. Stay out of the big boy ring while you have the chance.

Actually, I asked you to figure it out from what I wrote because I felt that we were getting off topic and it had no bearing to the discussion at hand. But fear not, I've started a thread specifically for that conversation.
(10-08-2012, 06:42 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:38 PM)Larry Wrote: He asked me to read his vagueness and decipher his answers. Stay out of the big boy ring while you have the chance.

Actually, I asked you to figure it out from what I wrote because I felt that we were getting off topic and it had no bearing to the discussion at hand. But fear not, I've started a thread specifically for that conversation.

And so I did my best in the short span of a few minutes this evening. I am on the other topic, and you still haven't answered a single one of my "guesses" as to what you meant with your vague response.
(10-08-2012, 06:25 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Cry me a river

I was referring to your tendency to call a number of people on the forum names. You objected to my use of hyperbole to demonstrate an argument. I find that ...amusing isn't quite the word, but it will do..., given your use of invective (which, in my opinion, tends toward outrageous hyperbole, and does nothing to advance discussion on the topics).

OH I see. I can't laugh at or mock you saying people "worship" Chris Columbus because I also exaggerate or use invectives?

I think the fact that you used the words worshiped CC showed that you seem to think people put a lot more thought in Columbus day than they really do.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of Americans ( by that I mean people in the USA) don't care what CC really did and you one percenters need to get a freaking life
Wooo Hoooo!
Viva la Revolucion!

[Image: 580761_370817806329259_1820245798_n.jpg]

Venezuelans in Caracas tear down the statue of Christopher Columbus on Columbus Day and rename it the Day of Indigenous Resistance.
[Image: 306603_4093914023409_1660408850_n.jpg]
(10-08-2012, 07:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: OH I see. I can't laugh at or mock you saying people "worship" Chris Columbus because I also exaggerate or use invectives?

I think the fact that you used the words worshiped CC showed that you seem to think people put a lot more thought in Columbus day than they really do.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of Americans ( by that I mean people in the USA) don't care what CC really did and you one percenters need to get a freaking life

If you're quite through attempting to poke a hole in the most miniscule and meaningless aspect of my argument, perhaps you'd care to address the actual points I made?
(10-08-2012, 09:42 PM)csrowan Wrote: If you're quite through attempting to poke a hole in the most miniscule and meaningless aspect of my argument, perhaps you'd care to address the actual points I made?

But that's his thang...poking a hole in miniscule and meaningless aspects.
On and on and on and on.