Happy Columbus Day
Thank you Christopher!

[Image: V3300001-Christopher_Columbus_s_ship_the...ia-SPL.jpg]
Christopher was an asshole. It figures you would like him.
Top 5 reasons Christopher Columbus was an asshole: http://www.tuvez.com/christopher-columbu...op-5-list/

[Image: b3b01f76ba786897aebcff4b1920b683-e1318256863644.jpg]

He Didn’t Discover America

He didn’t even know he was in America. This “great navigator” thought he was in Asia, hence why he called the native people Indians. Even when people pointed out that it couldn’t possibly be Asia, he still denied it. Also, you can’t really discover something that has a bunch of people on it. That’s like if I were to take a boat to Staten Island and tell all the guidos and members of the Wu Tang Clan that have lived there for generations that I’ve discovered it. Luckily, thanks to the next entry on this list he took care of the people living there.

[Image: christopher_columbus6-and-indians-e1318256901925.jpg]

He Committed Genocide

It’s easy to see how the chain of events he set in motion led to the conquest and murder of millions of Native Americans. But he personally committed genocide. On the island of Cuba, he instituted a law that every Taino Indian over the age of 14 had to provide a hawk’s bell- whatever the hell that is- of gold EVERY YEAR. If they didn’t he’d cut off their hands until they bled to death. This happened a lot. He then enslaved the natives and forced them to mine for gold and work on the plantations. On Cuba alone, 500,000 Indians were dead within 30 years of the system he established.

[Image: slave.1-e1318256941975.gif]

He Established The African Slave Trade

Once he realized he was running out of Indians because of the whole genocide thing, he told the Spanish crown that the Indians were subhumans not even fit for slaves. So, he suggested they go and kidnap the people of Africa and force them into slavery. You know, because mass murdering and dehumanizing one group of brown people wasn’t enough. The entire legacy of the middle passage, and the two to four million Africans that were brought over, can be laid at Chris’ puffy pantalooned feet.

[Image: Christopher_Columbus_found_the_new_land-...975441.jpg]

He Claimed Half The World As Compensation

Don’t think he did any of it because of the spirit of exploration or the furthering of knowledge. He also didn’t do it to convert people to Catholicism, (He refused to baptize the Indians or Africans because you can’t enslave fellow Christians). He did it for the money. He told Ferdinand and Isabella that he wanted to be governor of that entire half of the planet and viceroy of ALL THE SEAS. He wanted control of all of the world’s oceans, so that he could be a jerk to all the fish as well. Columbus might be the greediest tool in history. How much land, money, and water do you need?

[Image: big_230809-92-e1318257030741.jpg]

Was A Terrible Person To Those Close To Him Too

As if all of that wasn’t bad enough, he was crappy in his personal life too. He was abusive to his sons, his wives, his nephews, and his brothers. He savagely enforced draconian measures with his crews and his employees. He was such a bastard, that the people who worked for him took him to court in Spain for cruelty and mismanagement. He was sentenced to prison for ten years, but Ferdinand let him go for old times sake. Think about that. This is happening at the same time as the Spanish inquisition, and yet he was so cruel against his own people they threw him in jail.

Enjoy your day, Simon. I'm sure you would have liked this guy. Ninja
Wu Tang Clan? Laughing Laughing Laughing
A contemporary writer, obviously. Smiling
I'm guessing banks and credit unions are closed today. Dry I'd like to use the day to pay bills, dadgummit.
[Image: 480432_265195796916641_1758457839_n.jpg]
(10-08-2012, 01:36 PM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 480432_265195796916641_1758457839_n.jpg]

Waving I have the answer to this!

As my family on my Mother's side are from a very small island, with at the time a very small population in the Azores, we have come very close to certainty that we descendants of Pedro Correia da Cunha. IF it's true, that means we are also related to Christoforo Colombo by marriage as Pedro's wife was a sister of Christoro's wife. (did that make sense?) :wacko:

Soooo.... it's my suggestion we sweep this back under the rug and go with the made-up shit so I can continue to brag long into my old age. Laughing

I like this depiction of Colombo by Alejo Fernández because he doesn't look like the fairy-tale version you usually see.

[Image: Christopher_Columbus_Face.jpg]
LOL every year on Columbus day the whiners come out to play.. Booo Hooo clumbus was a BAaaad man.

Who gives a shit??? It was different times, different thinking.

Lets put down cave men too cuz they hit their women with big fat clubsLaughingLaughingLaughing
[Image: 1339884-1459-Happy-Caveman-with-Club.jpg]
So the genocide was not deplorable, because it happened when times were different?
(10-08-2012, 05:12 PM)csrowan Wrote: So the genocide was not deplorable, because it happened when times were different?

Looking for an apology? OK. I'm sorry. All better?
(10-08-2012, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: LOL every year on Columbus day the whiners come out to play.. Booo Hooo clumbus was a BAaaad man.

Lets put down cave men too cuz they hit their women with big fat clubsLaughingLaughingLaughing

They feel the same way about Veterans Day, but are only a little less vocal.
(10-08-2012, 05:12 PM)csrowan Wrote: So the genocide was not deplorable, because it happened when times were different?

OK Rowan what are we gonna do about something that happened 500 freaking years ago?

People were vicious back them so I don't get why we should snivel about it. Or I mean why SOME people want to snivel about it.
(10-08-2012, 05:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OK Rowan what are we gonna do about something that happened 500 freaking years ago?

People were vicious back them so I don't get why we should snivel about it. Or I mean why SOME people want to snivel about it.

Well, for starters, we could stop celebrating it.
(10-08-2012, 05:17 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: LOL every year on Columbus day the whiners come out to play.. Booo Hooo clumbus was a BAaaad man.

They feel the same way about Veterans Day, but are only a little less vocal.

YEP and if I call someone an anti American who refuses to honor a veteran and who instead denigrates them ,I'm all wrong:wacko::wacko:

Just ask Rowan.. Anything goes if you are a progressive far lefter.
(10-08-2012, 05:24 PM)csrowan Wrote:

Based on that logic, I bet you want to cancel Christmas, too.... Razz
(10-08-2012, 05:24 PM)csrowan Wrote:

"IT" is just a day. It's a day when we celebrate the discovery of this great country.
Who gives a rats ass about the way people behaved back then or if Columbus thought he was in India.

I don't and I don't understand why you guys do.
Pretty phony to celebrate the "discovery" of a country that already had people living there.
(10-08-2012, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: "IT" is just a day. It's a day when we celebrate the discovery of this great country.
Who gives a rats ass about the way people behaved back then or if Columbus thought he was in India.

I care, because no one tells kids these things. When I was in school, none of this was mentioned. It wasn't until high school that they taught us that the US and its predecessors did horrible things.

Wouldn't it be better to say "This happened, it was bad. We must learn from it." instead of worshiping a false idol?

Why should we have a federal holiday named after a genocidal maniac?

(and I don't want to cancel Christmas, I just don't want it to be a federal holiday either.)
(10-08-2012, 05:45 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: "IT" is just a day. It's a day when we celebrate the discovery of this great country.

I care, because no one tells kids these things. When I was in school, none of this was mentioned. It wasn't until high school that they taught us that the US and its predecessors did horrible things.

Wouldn't it be better to say "This happened, it was bad. We must learn from it." instead of worshiping a false idol?

Why should we have a federal holiday named after a genocidal maniac?

(and I don't want to cancel Christmas, I just don't want it to be a federal holiday either.)

Tell us your opinion on acceptable Federal Holidays. 4th of July ok? Thanksgiving? Veterans Day? Memorial Day? Would you be in favor of a new one in the future for 9/11?