Federal Holidays: which, why, and whether or not. (for Larry)
Continuing from a different thread, which already has too many debates in it, given that it is in a non-debate area of the forum.

(10-08-2012, 06:24 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:10 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:02 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:57 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 05:48 PM)Larry Wrote: Tell us your opinion on acceptable Federal Holidays. 4th of July ok? Thanksgiving? Veterans Day? Memorial Day? Would you be in favor of a new one in the future for 9/11?

It's pretty simple. If it's a religious holiday (even if it has been commercialized and is also accepted by non-religious people), it shouldn't be a federal holiday, because that is the government tacitly endorsing a religion. No Federal recognition of Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving.

If it's to celebrate a person, that person should be worth celebrating. Otherwise, celebrate the specific event or concept and don't name it after the person. Not Jesus of course. Who in YOUR opinion fits this criteria?

If it's to remember something tragic, it shouldn't be about what we legislated or who we fought after the tragedy. It should be only about remembering the tragedy. So 9/11 is a yes, as long as we never mention who did it?

If it is to honor a group of people, it should be to honor them as individuals, and not to honor the organization to which they belonged. And for the finale... NO Veterans Day, NO Memorial Day, except to specific individuals.

Now can we get back to the topic at hand?

I think this is very relevant to the topic. Could you answer the specific holidays I mentioned?

Could you read what I wrote and figure it out from that?

So in conclusion.... I still want to know WHICH federal holidays you agree with? Any?

I'm not entirely happy with the idea of government endorsed holidays of any kind. I'd personally prefer having a federal vacation day once every month (or every 2 months, if you want to keep the number of vacation days the same as the current number of federal holidays). If you wanted to start a celebration for a person, place, thing, event, or concept, you'd be more than welcome to. You could still celebrate the existing holidays on the days they're on (or any other day you choose), it just wouldn't be federally endorsed.

But, I know that Larry is itching to hear my responses to specific holidays... don't worry, that's coming next. But I need to do a little research first. I've only come to hold strong opinions about a few of them; I haven't actually sat down and thought about which specific holidays should and shouldn't be federal holidays, and why.

EDIT: Apparently there are 10 federal holidays. Not sure why I thought there were 6. Maybe because my old workplace only gave us 6 of them off...
I can't wait. Wink
(10-08-2012, 06:37 PM)csrowan Wrote: I'm not entirely happy with the idea of government endorsed holidays of any kind.

So NOTHING our Country has ever done, or survived, is worthy of notice by way of a Federal Holiday?

(TV.... I think he may be one of THEM....)
After the revolution we'll have a different Federal to celebrate anyway. And, probably new holidays too. Smiling
(10-08-2012, 06:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: After the revolution we'll have a different Federal to celebrate anyway. And, probably new holidays too. Smiling

And to think Rowan believes you love your country.... Laughing
I've told you many times I love my country. I have quite a few problems, however, with this government that claims to represent me though.
What's wrong with not having federally endorsed holidays? Isn't small government what you want?

Still working on my list. I should have it before morning.
I guess I will see it then. Some of us still have jobs.

Meant as a social commentary on the unemployment rate in America, for those to obtuse for subtleness.
First you complain that I haven't addressed your questions, then you complain that I'm taking the time to do a good job of it...
(10-08-2012, 06:56 PM)Larry Wrote: Some of us still have jobs.

Gotten with government supplied education aid, no doubt.
(10-08-2012, 06:53 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've told you many times I love my country. I have quite a few problems, however, with this government that claims to represent me though.

You love this country yet you put down the soldiers who give up their lives for this country and you think veterans day is only to glorify war.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I think you are a big fat liar and there is nothing at all you love about this country.
I think you are lying so you don't alienate too many posters.
Well, I think you're a big fat liar that scams the government and doesn't pay taxes either, but that's another story, isn't it?

And, false patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, as has been previously pointed out. You don't offer much else.
(10-08-2012, 06:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: First you complain that I haven't addressed your questions, then you complain that I'm taking the time to do a good job of it...

I wasn't complaining. I go to bed early, that's all I meant.
(10-08-2012, 06:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 06:56 PM)Larry Wrote: Some of us still have jobs.

Gotten with government supplied education aid, no doubt.

Holy Jesus Christ, did you ever miss the point.
The point you're against all government spending except when it's you and your family benefitting?
(10-08-2012, 06:56 PM)Larry Wrote: I guess I will see it then. Some of us still have jobs.

Meant as a social commentary on the unemployment rate in America, for those too obtuse for subtleness.
Maybe we should start a personal argument thread, and move all these conversations over there, so we can keep the other threads more or less to the original topics.
(10-08-2012, 07:08 PM)csrowan Wrote: Maybe we should start a personal argument thread, and move all these conversations over there, so we can keep the other threads more or less to the original topics.

LMFAO??? Laughing Is this your first rodeo?
I'm just accustomed to a forum that was so well moderated that it no longer needs to be, except in extreme cases.
[quote='PonderThis' pid='236207' dateline='1349748095']
Well, I think you're a big fat liar that scams the government and doesn't pay taxes either, but that's another story, isn't it?
That's simply an ad hominem attack, that's all that is.

You can't wiggle out of your obvious lying so you try to get personal with me. Pretty low but scum usually is.

Quote:And, false patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, as has been previously pointed out. You don't offer much else.

There nothing false about TVguy ... nothing. I say what I think and mean what I say.
I love my country and I won't put up with some lying arrogant dipshit who looks down on our soldiers and denigrates them and then tries to say he loves his country.
Our soldiers deserve the ultimate respect regardless what our government tells them to do.