Federal Holidays: which, why, and whether or not. (for Larry)
(10-09-2012, 06:25 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Do you mean there are not enough non-religious holidays to balance out the religious ones?

Look, I think that the government takes a pretty neutral position on religion. I see no big deal about acknowledging that a huge percentage of the population wants to celebrate religious holidays, without respect to whether or not those people are in fact religious. Do I like seeing "In God we Trust" on our currency? Not really. But I'm not going to lay awake at night trying to figure out a way to combat it.

We DO have religious roots. However, I believe that our secular population is gaining a foothold... but it's going to take longer than some of you want to erase every aspect of religion from every little thing that you see as unconstitutional. Too bad. Enough with the whining. Things are moving in the direction that you want. By being fanatical about it you merely strengthen the resolve of those that you oppose and you make those that don't care, (like me), want to takes sides against you.

It's really simple. I'm not making a fuss. I'm not fighting to get rid of federal holidays. I was asked my opinion and I gave it, trying not only to explain what I felt but why I felt it.

You don't feel the same way. That's fine. But you don't get to tell me to quit whining. Well, you do get to, but I get to ignore you when you do, because I don't care that you don't like me talking about what I want.

And maybe it bothers you when people make a fuss about things that you don't think are a big deal, but has it occurred to you that they make a fuss because, to them, it is a big deal?

I just want the government to obey its own laws. How is that whining and being fanatical?
Perhaps, on 9-11 we can remember what Reagan and Kissinger did to Salvador Allende and democracy.
(10-09-2012, 08:07 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:25 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Do you mean there are not enough non-religious holidays to balance out the religious ones?

Look, I think that the government takes a pretty neutral position on religion. I see no big deal about acknowledging that a huge percentage of the population wants to celebrate religious holidays, without respect to whether or not those people are in fact religious. Do I like seeing "In God we Trust" on our currency? Not really. But I'm not going to lay awake at night trying to figure out a way to combat it.

We DO have religious roots. However, I believe that our secular population is gaining a foothold... but it's going to take longer than some of you want to erase every aspect of religion from every little thing that you see as unconstitutional. Too bad. Enough with the whining. Things are moving in the direction that you want. By being fanatical about it you merely strengthen the resolve of those that you oppose and you make those that don't care, (like me), want to takes sides against you.

It's really simple. I'm not making a fuss. I'm not fighting to get rid of federal holidays. I was asked my opinion and I gave it, trying not only to explain what I felt but why I felt it.

You don't feel the same way. That's fine. But you don't get to tell me to quit whining. Well, you do get to, but I get to ignore you when you do, because I don't care that you don't like me talking about what I want.

And maybe it bothers you when people make a fuss about things that you don't think are a big deal, but has it occurred to you that they make a fuss because, to them, it is a big deal?

I just want the government to obey its own laws. How is that whining and being fanatical?

When I say "you" I am speaking of the general bunch of people who run around bitching about the silliest little thing. It takes almost nothing to offend them.

I also get a bit of a kick out of the hypocrisy that I see around. I see some people, (on this very forum Twitch ) whine about religion yet have no problem with telling others not to tread on "sacred" ground!!!! Are you kidding me??!!
(10-11-2012, 07:35 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I see some people, (on this very forum Twitch ) whine about religion yet have no problem with telling others not to tread on "sacred" ground!!!!

You probably see purple elephants in the trees too. For the rest of us, I suppose I'd want to see some examples of this though.
(10-09-2012, 01:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Larry was only trying to see how much of your time he could waste on a straw man argument, and will probably not even bother responding now, in his typical way. He's already on to his next straw argument, and pleased with himself too.

You appear to have been correct.