I Don't Have What it Takes to be a Prepper
I 'follow' a couple of survival groups on Facebook to check out ideas and plans..and am building a little stash to help through a rough spot...but...these people are serious, man.

We should have flares to use as decoys for heat seeking drones? Yowza!!!

===================================

--snip---

There is always a way to get the preps you need, if you are motivated enough to make it happen. Here are a few items that seem to escape from people’s lists:

Extra Survival Clothing: Clothing is a real pain for a lot of survivalists because it is one prep that they must absolutely purchase doubles and triples of. Good durable shoes, pants, even socks, can get expensive. Base layer clothing like Smart Wool sometimes costs in the range of $100 or more for a single set. Take the pain, bite the bullet, and get the absolute best clothing you can find in multiples. It may have to last you quite a long time without replacement, especially the artificial fabrics. Imagine having to wear the same vapor producing sweat drenched crusty duds day in and day out while sharing a retreat location with some less than amused buddies. They may end up coming after you before the looters do.

Body Armor: This stuff is going to be at a premium in the near future. I have already seen price spikes in good body armor in the days after the Aurora Theater shootings. Why? Because the fear is that the establishment will move to try to ban said gear in response, causing a rush to purchase. That fear is not misplaced. Plus, I would imagine a bullet to the gut, whether accidental or intentional, is not an event to celebrate with a rootbeer float. Believe it or not, body armor rigs that include rifle plates are extremely sparse amongst preppers right now, and this simply can’t continue.

Gas Masks And Filters: Not long ago I wrote about the revolutions and rebellions that took place in Russia after the formation of the Soviet Union against the abuses of communism. At that time, the more successful the rebellion, the more apt the Soviets were to dump chemical weapons over entire towns, mountains, and valleys, to erase the problem. Never expect that a tyrannical government is going to fight fair. In fact, expect that they won’t. Even if you don’t foresee such an event taking place in the U.S., it is imperative that every person owns not just a gas mask, but extra filters as well. Plan on dealing with multiple incidences in which your air will be unsafe to breath.

NBC Alert Items: How many preppers do you know with a Geiger Counter? I know three, out of the hundreds I speak with regularly. This is not a good sign. If the Fukushima disaster has taught us anything, it is that radiological threats are not just relegated to the realm of nuclear bombs. Every community should have several Geiger Counter devices handy, along with chemical warfare strips which change color when exposed to an offending airborne agent. Remember the panic buying that ensued in Japan for these kinds of goods after the reactor meltdown? Don’t overlook radioactivity. Knowing what has been hit by concentrated fallout and what hasn’t is a tremendous advantage.

Thermal Countermeasures: A box of road flares, IR flashlights, and IR floodlights, should be in every survivalists home. With the advent of predator drones armed with night vision and thermal vision, as well as numerous other nasty weapons platforms, the need for countermeasures that create false thermal signatures to confuse an attacker with this kind of technology is a must.

Extra First Aid Supplies: During a collapse, you become the hospital, and no amount of Obamacare is going to help you. Almost every prepper has a first aid kit, but few have one that will really last through a prolonged crisis. Collapse brings with it all kinds of injuries and sicknesses we never think of facing in our current atmosphere, with more frequency than I believe many would like to admit possible. A sterile bandage may be as sought after and as rare as a warm shower in the near future, so stock an ample supply.

Solar Panels: I am astonished at how many preppers still do not have any solar power capability today. It’s FREE off grid power, for god’s sake! Pay the initial costs, and at least buy a system that is capable of charging and running batteries and essential electronics that will aid you in your survival.

Greenhouse: When discussing the idea of relocation, I sometimes hear the assertion that places like Montana are terrible for growing food (usually from people who have never lived in Montana). In fact, a survival garden could be grown almost anywhere, regardless of region or climate, if you use the right methods. One of the best methods is the use of a greenhouse, which many preppers do not have. Set aside your preconceptions of what gardening is, and do what works. Even in winter, some plants can be grown in a greenhouse environment to provide you and your family with precious vitamin rich food. Just build it.

Raw Building Materials: Do you have a stockpile of lumber and nails? What about raw iron and steel? Sealants to repel pests and maintain your home? Bags of concrete to reinforce a new addition? Think about how much you will need to build after the final shoe drops. Probably a lot more than you have ever built in your life…

No Room For Error

Time is running short, and if we are to succeed as a movement, we must be ready to hold a candle to ourselves, admit where we are lacking, and fix the problem while we have the luxury to do so. Ultimately, the most important and most ignored aspect of prepping is our own mindset. Do we have the correct sense of urgency, and are we acting on it? Have we prepared ourselves psychologically for the difficulties ahead? Are we ready to make sacrifices for survival and victory? Will we have what it takes at our core to see this thing through? At this very moment, many do not. But, they have the potential to rise to the occasion. The decision is theirs to make…

http://www.alt-market.com/articles/937-t...eparations
Preppers run the gammut from reasonable to off the hook.
(10-23-2012, 07:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Preppers run the gammut from reasonable to off the hook.

Some of them are going to be so disappointed if life, as we know it, continues on.
I can understand being prepared for natural or manmade disasters, but bullet proof vests and flares to deter drones are placed at the off the hook end of the gamut, eh?
(10-23-2012, 07:46 PM)Clone Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 07:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Preppers run the gammut from reasonable to off the hook.

Some of them are going to be so disappointed if life, as we know it, continues on.
I can understand being prepared for natural or manmade disasters, but bullet proof vests and flares to deter drones are placed at the off the hook end of the gamut, eh?

I think people are at a peak of feeling out of control in their lives. The economy, the lack of faith in Government. The feeling of impending doom has never been greater. Religion is less dominant in the mainstream. It's a way of feeling in control. It's obsessive. When it was Y2K there was a feeling of a ultimatum with a date attached. Now it feels more nebulous and vague. I think when the economy improves, a lot of the extremist will fall off. And the Mormons and others with more reasonable plans will continue to do what they always do. Try this one. It's not about prepping per se, but I think you will find this lady's philosophy to be along the lines you are aiming at: http://theprudenthomemaker.com/
I've already spent time there...thank you!
Certainly more helpful and a different perspective than Ree, the Pioneer Woman!
(10-23-2012, 10:23 PM)Clone Wrote: I've already spent time there...thank you!
Certainly more helpful and a different perspective than Ree, the Pioneer Woman!

Well, she uses the LDS values. They've been doint this for years. They've got it down without the hysteria.
On reflection of your post, I can't really see how Ree Drummond fits into the prepper lifestyle. ....?
(10-23-2012, 10:29 PM)Tiamat Wrote: On reflection of your post, I can't really see how Ree Drummond fits into the prepper lifestyle. ....?

Laughing Laughing
Me either.
I'm sometimes in such a hurry I expect readers to follow my thoughts
even though I don't make them clear.
Nevermind!Embarrassed
Well, in the site I linked, there is a lot of stuff about stockpiling without the hysteria that seems quite reasonable.
One is getting free food while it's there. There are ways to get free food if you wan to make the effort to get it, and most likely process it in some way. The free section in Craigs List is giving away food right now. Lots of churches give away free food that if it isn't taken gets tossed into the dumpster. Lots of seassonal veggies are put there just by locals wanting to share. Lots of bread that would be great in Panna zuppa. There are trees loaded with fruit right now in people's yards and fields that they aren't using. Righ tnow on Rogue Valley Recyclers, people are giving away green tomatoes, flower bulbs and rhyzomes, mulch, leaves. Good for garden. There are harvests in strange places. Rose hips. Make rose hip jelly like they did in the war. These are simple ways to "Prep" without getting crazy and freaking out over chemtrails. There's cheap food too. Grants Pass on upper river road is selling apples from their orchard for a $l.00 a pound. Pretty cheap. There are walnuts on the ground. In the spring there are asparagus and morels on the ground. Just ideas. Those are ideas for someone who just wants to take advantage of natures bounty and be proactive about it. Am I? I confess not. Althugh I do and will pick up the locals garden gleanings that they leave over at St.Vincent de paul. and yes, I do a bit of foraging for urban wild food, but not much.
Clone? Has the Hurricane changed any of your storage/preparations?
(10-31-2012, 11:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Clone? Has the Hurricane changed any of your storage/preparations?

Nope, I'm just quietly catching sales when I can.
I recently bought 20 cans of Progresso soup for a dollar each.
My eventual goal is to be adequately supplied for a few weeks.
That's the best I can do in this tiny space!
Oh, and I got 20 frozen Steamfresh vegetable packages for $1 each, just in case whatever disaster happens we'll still have electricity. Smiling

I have organic brown rice and Irish steel-cut oats that I froze first like you suggested.
I'm slowly getting there!
(11-01-2012, 12:05 PM)Clone Wrote:
(10-31-2012, 11:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Clone? Has the Hurricane changed any of your storage/preparations?

Oh, and I got 20 frozen Steamfresh vegetable packages for $1 each, just in case whatever disaster happens we'll still have electricity. Smiling

I have organic brown rice and Irish steel-cut oats that I froze first like you suggested.

OK, I'm gonna fess up here. I bought a ton of progresso soups on sale at Grocery outlet, thinking "hey, $1.00 lunches, can't beat that!" Ugh! Yuck! No matter what flavor I try they still all taste the same. Like a tin can. I won't do that again.
We really like the Progresso soups.... NOT the low sodium or healthy what ever you call 'em... the ones we like are something like Rich and Hearty Pregresso soups. Yummy stuff!
(11-01-2012, 06:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, I'm gonna fess up here. I bought a ton of progresso soups on sale at Grocery outlet, thinking "hey, $1.00 lunches, can't beat that!" Ugh! Yuck! No matter what flavor I try they still all taste the same. Like a tin can. I won't do that again.

I know what you mean, BUT, I like them better than Campbell's.
I find the ones with white chicken are the best.
Just don't look at the sodium content. Twitch
I would imagine if the food supply were running low, I could warm
it up on my Coleman Insta-Start and get something warm in ourselves.

The way you feel about Progresso? I feel that way about Spam.
I would have to be literally starving and force myself to eat it.
Yuck!
There is NO Spam in our stash.
(11-01-2012, 07:29 PM)Clone Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 06:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK, I'm gonna fess up here. I bought a ton of progresso soups on sale at Grocery outlet, thinking "hey, $1.00 lunches, can't beat that!" Ugh! Yuck! No matter what flavor I try they still all taste the same. Like a tin can. I won't do that again.

I know what you mean, BUT, I like them better than Campbell's.
I find the ones with white chicken are the best.
Just don't look at the sodium content. Twitch
I would imagine if the food supply were running low, I could warm
it up on my Coleman Insta-Start and get something warm in ourselves.

The way you feel about Progresso? I feel that way about Spam.
I would have to be literally starving and force myself to eat it.
Yuck!
There is NO Spam in our stash.

Spam too. I constantly deal with rotation issues due to not using those products. Yep, sodium, sky high. I'll have a stroke in a day. I know for a fact I have never bought a can of Spam. Or any kind of "Wonder" style bread. Or possum. Or squirrel, or......
(11-01-2012, 07:52 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Spam too. I constantly deal with rotation issues due to not using those products. Yep, sodium, sky high. I'll have a stroke in a day. I know for a fact I have never bought a can of Spam. Or any kind of "Wonder" style bread. Or possum. Or squirrel, or......

My mom put my first born son in his high chair, put on his bib and proceeded to place cut up boiled hot dog on the tray.

Jason thought it was some kind of toy instead of food, he played with them.

My mom tried to feed him one and he made faces and spit it out.

My mom said it was un-American Laughing

All they liked Wonder bread for was to make balls out of it.

I'm no purist, mind you. I just ate a Stouffer's Escalloped Chicken dinner. It was delicious. Embarrassed
(11-01-2012, 06:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

OK, I'm gonna fess up here. I bought a ton of progresso soups on sale at Grocery outlet, thinking "hey, $1.00 lunches, can't beat that!" Ugh! Yuck! No matter what flavor I try they still all taste the same. Like a tin can. I won't do that again.

For flavor You have to eat a ton of salty ass ritz and wash it down with milk.
I don't laugh at Mormons. They scare me. I remember when they were living in homes made of ties, stolen from the railroad. Preppin' is in their blood.
(11-02-2012, 10:26 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2012, 06:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

For flavor You have to eat a ton of salty ass ritz and wash it down with milk.

Blech.
Just add garlic and nutritional yeast.