Common Decency
(10-26-2012, 06:28 PM)Larry Wrote: Earlier today I PM'ed Clone and asked her to go to the Asylum and let Ponder know he was over the line. I have done it myself MANY times with some of the conservatives here, like the former Pastor and Simon Peter. It's important to keep the nutburgers in check, even if they are on your "side".

Crickets.

In fact, not ONE of you lefties said a single negative thing to him, except TV. But I would expect that from TV, based on his own relationship with Ponder.

This leads me to certain conclusions about "your" side.

They aren't flattering.

Well, then you aren't paying attention, are you?
(10-26-2012, 06:56 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I sent Clone a PM months ago. She has yet to respond. It is possible she just didn't SEE them.
And for the record, we're really not in charge of letting people know when they're acting like jerks. In my experience, most people already know when they're acting like jerks, they just have a sense of self-righteousness at the moment.

In charge? No. But do we have a right to?
(10-26-2012, 09:42 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 06:28 PM)Larry Wrote: Earlier today I PM'ed Clone and asked her to go to the Asylum and let Ponder know he was over the line. I have done it myself MANY times with some of the conservatives here, like the former Pastor and Simon Peter. It's important to keep the nutburgers in check, even if they are on your "side".

Crickets.

In fact, not ONE of you lefties said a single negative thing to him, except TV. But I would expect that from TV, based on his own relationship with Ponder.

They aren't flattering.

Wishing death on every Muslim is not flattering. Calling the President of the United States a POS is not flattering. Saying Fuck the President is not flattering. Telling forum members there is a slight chance you will kill them is not flattering. Supporting every war there is is not flattering. Thinking the answer to every problem is to go kill somebody is not flattering. Routinely telling forum members "fuck you" is not flattering. Larry has a very strange idea of what is or is not flattering.

Yes, it's over the line to jump on Larry in his cancer thread, and I hate every bit of cancer (I had a partner who died of cancer, shortly after diagnosis). I know the pain of cancer. But, it's time for Larry to think how his posts come across to others, too, and they certainly are not flattering. If Larry wants responses to his posts that are, for a change, flattering, then Larry needs to change the tone of his own online responses. Those who live by the personal attack can expect similar in return. I think that's a matter of simple fairness, if not common decency as well.

Doing unto others as they do unto you may be human nature, but turning the other cheek is hypothetically divine.
Hypothetically. But if your goal is changing society, it takes a little bit more than that. Smiling
Let's see... how flattering is this:

Crickets.

They aren't flattering.

IMHO, it is not flattering at all. It is divisive.
Larry, as much as you seem to want it to be... not EVERYTHING comes down to Dem's vs Repub's.
(10-26-2012, 09:42 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Crickets.

They aren't flattering.

Wishing death on every Muslim is not flattering. Calling the President of the United States a POS is not flattering. Saying Fuck the President is not flattering. Telling forum members there is a slight chance you will kill them is not flattering. Supporting every war there is is not flattering. Thinking the answer to every problem is to go kill somebody is not flattering. Routinely telling forum members "fuck you" is not flattering. Larry has a very strange idea of what is or is not flattering.

Yes, it's over the line to jump on Larry in his cancer thread, and I hate every bit of cancer (I had a partner who died of cancer, shortly after diagnosis). I know the pain of cancer. But, it's time for Larry to think how his posts come across to others, too, and they certainly are not flattering. If Larry wants responses to his posts that are, for a change, flattering, then Larry needs to change the tone of his own online responses. Those who live by the personal attack can expect similar in return. I think that's a matter of simple fairness, if not common decency as well.

[Image: savetheplanetkillsticker2.gif]

I just wonder why you haven't helped save the planet yet.
Implying that someone should kill themselves does not fall under common decency, no matter what they may have said to you.
Oh, this Effing Prez....Oh! For the good ol' days!

(10-26-2012, 10:41 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, this Effing Prez....Oh! For the good ol' days!

That was strange. They ridiculed everything; they even ridiculed ridiculing. Blink

Crickets.

They aren't flattering.

Want some cheese with that.
Common decency from the king f*ck yous is rich.
Never attack Fox. The viewers succumbing to the Propaganda aspects of Fox always circle the wagons. Using the technique (the viewer doesn't even know it and will deny it) of persecution. The viewer takes ownership in the network. After all with Fox fair and balanced would disappear and they become victimized by that liberal media. Oddly a corporate controlled media.
I'm not so sure that one can make the 50% case re Fox.
What ought to change is Fox News to just Fox.
And instead of Fox, Weasel. Smiling
There is no sanctuary at the RVF. This forum's vitriol knows no boundaries.
Larry has done his substantial part to make it so, too.
(10-27-2012, 08:33 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: There is no sanctuary at the RVF. This forum's vitriol knows no boundaries.

Sanctuary threads are a strange concept IMO. I never understood why people want to share their grief on a public forum. I don't discuss health issues or my finances on this forum either, but I can see why some like to share some of that information.

Knowing the make up of this forum, why would someone post solider war stories in the asylum thread that seem to beg for a political discussion then get upset when they get it? Reminds me of kids in grade school that throw rocks at you then runs to hide behind the teacher.
May i submit for, for your consideration
A thought was born from, from desperation?
I mean, now all ya gotta do is take a minute to see,
The world we're living in's not trouble free
The common decency to do what you can
In some small way to help your fellow man
To try to make some sort of contribution
Not be part of the problem, but part of the solution
The common decency, now is that still in existence?

(10-27-2012, 09:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-27-2012, 08:33 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: There is no sanctuary at the RVF. This forum's vitriol knows no boundaries.

Sanctuary threads are a strange concept IMO. I never understood why people want to share their grief on a public forum. I don't discuss health issues or my finances on this forum either, but I can see why some like to share some of that information.

Knowing the make up of this forum, why would someone post solider war stories in the asylum thread that seem to beg for a political discussion then get upset when they get it? Reminds me of kids in grade school that throw rocks at you then runs to hide behind the teacher.

Maybe we could pick a date for "Reset" and change the culture here is one fell swoop.
And maybe pigs will fly.
Maybe the trick is to interact only with those who display some degree of social grace. (Whatever that is).
And maybe the trick is to simply ignore this little speck on the WWW and find more positive sites for exchanging views.
Guilty of some over the top contributions myself, I wonder about the internal pot boiling that leads us to these extreme outbursts.

Only the shadow knows. Tune in next week. And now a word for Fatima cigarets.
(10-27-2012, 09:40 AM)Wonky Wrote:

Maybe we could pick a date for "Reset" and change the culture here is one fell swoop.
And maybe pigs will fly.
Maybe the trick is to interact only with those who display some degree of social grace. (Whatever that is).
And maybe the trick is to simply ignore this little speck on the WWW and find more positive sites for exchanging views.
Guilty of some over the top contributions myself, I wonder about the internal pot boiling that leads us to these extreme outbursts.

All of the players in this little drama are willing players. There is no need for a Complaint Department.
(10-27-2012, 09:55 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(10-27-2012, 09:40 AM)Wonky Wrote:

And maybe pigs will fly.

All of the players in this little drama are willing players. There is no need for a Complaint Department.

Thank you.
Now that we have solved the issue, we can go on to the new and improved expressions here.
That was easy.
I see it as street theatre with a message.