City of Ashland to improve Plaza by cutting down trees
(12-28-2012, 02:08 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Dates?
Actually, Ashland's slogan used to be from the "Palms to the Pines" and the median that runs the length of Siskiyou was planted with them. Think Palm motel. They died during one especially cold winter and were never replanted.
+ they remind me that I'm not in Kansas anymore. Big Grin

Date trees remind me of my childhood, where cold winters were unheard of.
We had face palms where I grew up.
face plants where I grew up.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...160&type=1
[Image: 379528_407596505985531_1621957994_n.png][Image: 268047_407598199318695_1544511250_n.png]
[Image: 734618_407596545985527_2032406844_n.png][Image: 249829_407598209318694_805289388_n.png][Image: 528722_407598195985362_552972043_n.png]
[Image: 557388_407596529318862_1468616848_n.png]
They have a right to their beliefs and I have a right to think they are fools.
A tree gets murdered and you call them fools, have you no mercy?
(12-28-2012, 09:49 PM)chuck white Wrote: A tree gets murdered and you call them fools, have you no mercy?

Not just murdered, Our "elders" desecrated in public. Cut in to pieces for easier disposal. Maybe even passed out to the public to burn in peoples homes.

Oh the horror, Where's the treemanity Razz
The new, rechargeable chainsaws, are tempting me toward the killing fields. That, and the cost of Madrone. My worry is The DEA will catch me with an untitled cord, or two. For a $250 chainsaw and a couple of grand on batteries....
(12-29-2012, 06:22 PM)illcommandante Wrote: The new, rechargeable chainsaws, are tempting me toward the killing fields. That, and the cost of Madrone. My worry is The DEA will catch me with an untitled cord, or two. For a $250 chainsaw and a couple of grand on batteries....

I imagine you are right about the cost of enough batteries needed to cut a cord. I don't think the DEA would be a problem but some other acronyms might.
And you betcha the current price of "silver"Razz madrone is tempting.

Maybe I'll break out all the gear, snatch blocks, cables, chains, mauls wedges and the crap that fills my cab until I need a shoehorn to get behind the wheel.
Or not.
I'd find a mountain bike on Craigslist, and never register it. I'd use it to get the cut down, and set my waypoints, for later. And then, hollow out a little double axle camping trailer. I'd hide equipment trailer axles with the plastic rain guard skirts, and put a reinforced floor over a stiffened frame. A big block Bronco, or Blazer, wouldn't look too suspicious. And, I'd repaint, every day or two. Madrone is heavy. Even after a few months, standing on end. But, poaching is work, and my needs are simple. I don't need to get rich, all over.
In this day and age, we don't think 'trees are beautiful in the Plaza'. We think 'trees could cause lawsuits in the Plaza'. If there have been complaints from people falling on their keesters because of those little seeds, tripping over a root popping out of a sidewalk or having a branch fall on a motor vehicle, the Town has to respond. Not doing so opens them up to a lawsuit.

In NYC, if your car is damaged by a pothole, you have no recourse unless you or someone else has already reported said pothole. The City saved a lot of money that way. Rolling Eyes

So, instead of words like 'nature', 'beauty' and 'scenery', think words like 'liability' and 'insurance premiums'.
(12-31-2012, 03:33 PM)TennisMom Wrote: In this day and age, we don't think 'trees are beautiful in the Plaza'. We think 'trees could cause lawsuits in the Plaza'. If there have been complaints from people falling on their keesters because of those little seeds, tripping over a root popping out of a sidewalk or having a branch fall on a motor vehicle, the Town has to respond. Not doing so opens them up to a lawsuit.

In NYC, if your car is damaged by a pothole, you have no recourse unless you or someone else has already reported said pothole. The City saved a lot of money that way. Rolling Eyes

So, instead of words like 'nature', 'beauty' and 'scenery', think words like 'liability' and 'insurance premiums'.

Well to be fair TM, It's not all about liability. They will have less maintenance and upkeep when done. And I believe in the future that little spot will look better than ever.Smiling
(12-31-2012, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2012, 03:33 PM)TennisMom Wrote: In this day and age, we don't think 'trees are beautiful in the Plaza'. We think 'trees could cause lawsuits in the Plaza'. If there have been complaints from people falling on their keesters because of those little seeds, tripping over a root popping out of a sidewalk or having a branch fall on a motor vehicle, the Town has to respond. Not doing so opens them up to a lawsuit.

Well to be fair TM, It's not all about liability. They will have less maintenance and upkeep when done. And I believe in the future that little spot will look better than ever.Smiling

TV, I totally agree that the spot will be better. It may even be that homeless people won't be sprawled all over it during the summer. It's also better for the town not to have high-maintenance trees in that area. At the end of the day, though, the argument which may have pushed the council over the cliff was probably the legal one. (Pardon my cynicism but I'm from NY). Eyebrows
(12-28-2012, 02:08 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Dates?
Actually, Ashland's slogan used to be from the "Palms to the Pines" and the median that runs the length of Siskiyou was planted with them. Think Palm motel. They died during one especially cold winter and were never replanted.
+ they remind me that I'm not in Kansas anymore. Big Grin

The state of Oregon boasts a single 100-mile foot race, that starts in Williams and ends in Ashland, named "Pine to Palm." I didn't realize that was a reference to the Ashland motto.
I actually slightly misstated the slogan, which was "Where the Palm Trees meet the Pines".

More here:
https://www.ijpr.org/Feature.asp?FeatureID=1269
from a feature on the history of Lithia Park
.....".First known as “Flour Mill Park” or “City Park,” the front of what is now Lithia Park developed horticulturally before any other section. Todt says that Himalayan palm trees were planted in this part of the park and there was a Chilean monkey puzzle tree, a smoke tree, roses, and an old Japanese maple. “It was a completely different landscape than it is today,” Todt says, “but why did people in Ashland want to plant smoke trees and palm trees?” In fact, the palm trees were such an integral part of the early landscape here that there used to be a popular saying, “Ashland, Oregon, where the palm trees meet the pines.” Todt’s voice is filled with enthusiasm as he asks another question he has recently figured out the answer to but never shared publicly: “and why were there rhododendron trees planted as early as 1910? Where were they getting this idea that they could plant all this Victorian stuff here in downtown Ashland?”

Todt figured out this horticultural mystery about a year ago when he and his wife started doing some in-depth research, pouring over Peter Britt’s old diaries written in Swiss German, and old photographs at the Southern Oregon Historical Society in Jacksonville. Jacksonville pioneer Peter Britt is remembered primarily as a photographer and a successful businessman. But, Todt says, he was also an incredible horticulturalist, bringing plants from all over the United States, including the Bay Area, where he would go to purchase photographic supplies. “Sometime around the 1870s he brought back a palm tree and he planted it in front of his house,” Todt explains. “His property became known as Britt Garden. It had big rhododendrons, this palm tree that was 35 feet tall, a variety of tropical looking plants, and a lot of roses. So when people wanted a template for how they were going to design a park they just had to go over to Jacksonville!”
continued....
We drove by the Plaza on NYEve. It looked fine with the trees down; very open. I think they'll do a good job of refurbishing it.