Confiscated Horses to be Auctioned Saturday
Steve Rich said using the law to herd miniature horses has been interesting, but he will be glad when the elfin equines are auctioned on Saturday beginning at 10 a.m. at the Josephine County Fairgrounds.

Rich, county legal counsel, said the mid-September raid of an alleged animal hoarder’s property in Cave Junction and subsequent seizure of more than 200 animals is unprecedented in his 18 years on the job.

“Certainly, in my time, we’ve never had an auction of miniature horses,” Rich said. “I’ve never heard of it happening before. It seems very unlikely it ever has.”

In total, 177 miniature horses and more than three dozen other animals were confiscated from 61-year-old Kandi Lucile Crow’s ranch in the 1700 block of White Schoolhouse Road. Crow has been charged with 22 counts of second-degree animal neglect, 17 counts of second-degree animal abuse, and five counts of prohibited possession of a domestic animal.

http://www.thedailycourier.com/articles/.../news2.txt
It seems like Lucile Crow should at least have a chance to be found guilty before they sell off her animals.
(12-07-2012, 12:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: It seems like Lucile Crow should at least have a chance to be found guilty before they sell off her animals.

The taxpayers have paid for taking care of her animals long enough.
I don't think you're doing a good job of taking care of Lola, and I'm afraid we're going to have to take her in. So sorry we have to auction her off before your trial. Ninja
(12-07-2012, 12:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: It seems like Lucile Crow should at least have a chance to be found guilty before they sell off her animals.

I'm going to assume you didn't see photos of the condition of the animals and the conditions in which they were kept. Crying No animal deserves that! Mad
He doesn't have 200 Lolas. He wasn't charged with 22 counts of second-degree animal neglect, 17 counts of second-degree animal abuse, and five counts of prohibited possession of a domestic animal.

I'm most interested in the 5 counts of prohibited possession of a domestic animal. I'd never heard of that before.

Quote:§ 167.332¹
Prohibition against possession of domestic animal

(1) In addition to any other penalty imposed by law, a person convicted of violating ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree), 167.325 (Animal neglect in the second degree), 167.330 (Animal neglect in the first degree), 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal), 167.340 (Animal abandonment) or 167.355 (Involvement in animal fighting) or of a misdemeanor under ORS 167.320 (Animal abuse in the first degree), may not possess a domestic animal for a period of five years following entry of the conviction.

(2) In addition to any other penalty imposed by law, a person convicted of violating ORS 167.322 (Aggravated animal abuse in the first degree), 167.365 (Dogfighting) or 167.428 (Cockfighting) or of a felony under ORS 167.320 (Animal abuse in the first degree), may not possess a domestic animal for a period of 15 years following entry of the conviction.

(3) A person who possesses a domestic animal in violation of this section commits a Class C misdemeanor. When a person is convicted of possessing a domestic animal in violation of this section, the court may order the removal of domestic animals from the persons residence. [2001 c.926 §3; 2009 c.486 §1]
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/167.332

In order to be charged with that, she had to have been convicted of animal abuse or neglect in the past 5 years (or something worse within the past 15).
(12-07-2012, 12:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't think you're doing a good job of taking care of Lola, and I'm afraid we're going to have to take her in. So sorry we have to auction her off before your trial. Ninja

You can use that thought process that distrusts any and all authority to make your point all day long.
It doesn't matter , You HAVE to give these people authority other wise they wouldn't have the power to EVER intervene and save starving or abused animals.

These people had a history of animal abuse, I don't. These horses NEVER had dental care or even had the hoofs trimmed. My animals are well cared for.

The GP board of commissioners ok'd this auction. Do you really think this is some conspiracy to just seize some innocent persons animals and sell them?
It doesn't sound outside the realm of possibilities. Smiling
The woman SIGNED OFF the animals to the county, people.
The county isn't just willy-nilly quctioning the animals off, she signed over complete custody.
Otherwise, the county couldn't do this.
She gave permission, she gave the animals to the county.

If Lola were taken from tv, he would have to assign ownership to the county.
Otherwise she woud be held in custody until after the trial.
OK, OK - I don't have all the details on this. I admit it. Smiling
(12-07-2012, 12:29 PM)PonderThis Wrote: OK, OK - I don't have all the details on this. I admit it. Smiling

Ain't no thang. Big Grin
To err, divine.
Didn't they just open a slaughter house in Coos Bay?
What happens if they can't find buyers? The market for mini horses isn't exactly strong.
(12-09-2012, 07:51 PM)TennisMom Wrote: What happens if they can't find buyers? The market for mini horses isn't exactly strong.

I think they did...a friend went and was surprised at the prices the horses were fetching.
There were many poor folks who were hoping at a shot to buy one and weren't having much luck.
(12-09-2012, 07:59 PM)Clone Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 07:51 PM)TennisMom Wrote: What happens if they can't find buyers? The market for mini horses isn't exactly strong.

I think they did...a friend went and was surprised at the prices the horses were fetching.
There were many poor folks who were hoping at a shot to buy one and weren't having much luck.

Thanks, Clone, that is good news.
My daughter's MIL has two mini-horses. They are cute, not not really good for much. It also costs a fortune to maintain them (in SoCal). I'm glad to hear people are able to purchase and care for them.
http://www.thedailycourier.com/articles/...news01.txt

Quote:Crow surrendered the animals in October to Josephine County, which auctioned the horses to recoup some of the nearly $300,000 it has spent caring for them.

"We've got a big bill to pay," Gilbertson said.

Every one of the horses was sold, for an average of $500, raising about $90,000, said head auctioneer Wayne Liska of Liska Auctioneers.
Even a mini horse, will feed Muffy, for a long time. And, horses don't eat Muffys, so the choice, is made for you. It's a load of work to can a horse. But, you can keep a couple of steaks......