The Bounty sank
Just wondering if anyone else thought it was strange that this ship was caught in the ocean with Sandy at full force?

It left Connecticut last week and was heading for Florida. Days before it sank it changed its route in an attempt to avoid the brunt of Hurricane Sandy. Then it sank off the coast of North Carolina.
I thought there were more than enough warnings about this colossal storm. I think maybe someone was foolish.

LONDON – The HMS Bounty, a ship that was first built for the 1962 film Mutiny on the Bounty, which starred Marlin Brando, and has been featured in other movies, including Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest with Johnny Depp, late Tuesday sank off the coast of North Carolina after being hit by Hurricane Sandy.
our editor recommends
HMS Bounty Abandoned Amid Hurricane Sandy
Hurricane Sandy Brings Weather Channel Third-Highest Average Viewership Ever

The boat's captain was reported missing, and one of the 16 other crew members died as the storm toppled the boat, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Carol Everson, general manager of The Pier in St. Petersburg, Florida, where the vessel often docked, described the vessel "as a tremendous piece of history," the paper said. "It's devastating," she added.

Bounty crew member Claudene Christian, 42, was found "unresponsive" at sea and taken to a hospital following a dramatic rescue operation in the Atlantic Ocean, but her death was later confirmed by the hospital. The captain, identified as Robin Walbridge, 63, is still missing.

The ship had left Connecticut last week and was heading for Florida. Days before it sank, the 180 feet, three-mast vessel had changed its route in an attempt to avoid the brunt of Hurricane Sandy.

It was caught in 18 feet-high waves and 40 miles-per-hour winds, and it had taken on 10 feet of water before the crew abandoned ship in two lifeboats, according to reports. The BBC showed pictures of the boat in latest news updates about Hurricane Sandy.

Crew members who made it to the lifeboats were rescued by U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crews.

The ship was a replica of the original British ship famous for the mutiny that took place near Tahiti in 1789.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ho...ean-384716
Local news, eh? Smiling
This was likely, an attempt to save a boat.
(10-31-2012, 10:59 AM)Clone Wrote: Local news, eh? Smiling

Oops. But does it matter? I know it wouldn't to me, I search by new posts or todays posts and never by category.Smiling
(10-31-2012, 11:00 AM)illcommandante Wrote: This was likely, an attempt to save a boat.

Yes it was indeed. I read an article explaining that the navy did the same thing taking their ships out to see. The article seemed to excuse this captain of any wrong doing.
I'm not so sure. It sure as hell wasn't as sea worthy as our naval fleet. The ship was headed to St Petersburg Florida. But it was only 500 miles or so away from where it left port when it sank. It left last week?

Maybe they left port as soon as they could and heard about this record storm. I don't know. I don't know how fast these kind of ships travel.
Probably do about 10 or 11 knots tops. (about 11-13 mph) I heard he was an experienced captain and sailed that ship for 20 years or so. Moored in a harbor is no place to be in a hurricane so he most likely was headed in a direction he thought he could avoid the worst conditions. I think the news said the crew radioed they were taking on more water than the pumps could handle. It could have been from waves over the deck or perhaps the old ladies seams were coming apart. Sad on all accounts.
[Image: NM091816_a_350606b.jpg]

[Image: Hurricane-Sandy-Sinking-HMS-Bounty.jpg]

[Image: boat-rescue-hurricane-sandy.jpg]

[Image: article-2224706-15C00228000005DC-56_634x468.jpg]
(10-31-2012, 09:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Probably do about 10 or 11 knots tops. (about 11-13 mph) I heard he was an experienced captain and sailed that ship for 20 years or so. Moored in a harbor is no place to be in a hurricane so he most likely was headed in a direction he thought he could avoid the worst conditions.

Not most likely but definitely. The ship left so it wouldn't be in the Harbor. That's a given. I just wonder about the decision to leave and risk all those lives to save a freaking Hollywood prop.
11-13MPH? That's STILL 300 miles in one day. The ship left last week and from what I see it appears to have only gone 500 miles, I don't know what all went on, just wondering out loud.Smiling
Props to those Coast guard men and Women. They risk their lives like they did here all year long, especially in Alaska.
Definite props to the Coast Guard crews.