Cell phone boosters - anybody know anything?
I live some 10 miles or so past good cell phone reception, and most cell phones show zero bars of service here. However, on a good day, bits of a signal can be obtained in certain places. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on cell phone boosters?
(11-13-2012, 05:56 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I live some 10 miles or so past good cell phone reception, and most cell phones show zero bars of service here. However, on a good day, bits of a signal can be obtained in certain places. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on cell phone boosters?

A kid down the street boosted two last week. Maybe he can help.

(Sorry...don't know squat about your inquiry)
(11-13-2012, 05:56 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I live some 10 miles or so past good cell phone reception, and most cell phones show zero bars of service here. However, on a good day, bits of a signal can be obtained in certain places. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on cell phone boosters?

You need to find one of those big ones like they had in the eighties. Yeah that should do it.

[Image: Old-Cell-Phone-Douglas.jpg]
(11-13-2012, 06:28 PM)Wonky Wrote:

A kid down the street boosted two last week. Maybe he can help.

The kid probably also got Wonky's cell phone too. There's no way Wonky would know.
They used to use something called "bag phones" that got signals in rural areas not reachable otherwise, too. I believe those phones were all analog though, and not digital.
Ponder... have you looked into Skype? Or VOIP?
(11-13-2012, 10:43 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Ponder... have you looked into Skype? Or VOIP?
I tried and those applications don't work on a satellite dish. You can hear the other person but they can't hear you.
That's correct, the upload speed for satellite internet, even if you were OK with the delay, isn't fast enough to support VOIP.