Guilt!
I'm the elected one for Thanksgiving. I'm tired of cooking. I feel guilty.
(11-14-2012, 09:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm the elected one for Thanksgiving. I'm tired of cooking. I feel guilty.

How'd that happen???

Were you consulted or were you elected in abstentia?
Guilt trip your relatives or friends; take not upon yourself the burden of the thanksgiving feast. Its right there in the Bible Tia.
I don't understand why people stress over this holiday. All these expectations of some fantastic home prepared meal where everyone happily dine and chat about all the good times past is pure hogwash! Tia, I say book a room for two at Callahan's and call it good.... Big Grin

[Image: 2012-Thanksgiving-Day-Feast.png]
Personally, I think either everyone should help out, or it should be catered/delivered/eaten out/etc.

A great number of the traditional dishes stem back to giving thanks for the harvest. I'm not a farmer. And it's been years since I worked as a cook or dishwasher. Why should I spend a day of thanks working my butt off by myself while the rest of the family drinks beer, watches football, and chats about the grandkids?

(not that anything resembling this actually happens with my family)
Take a stand Tia! Tell them to piss off!
(11-14-2012, 09:26 PM)Clone Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 09:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm the elected one for Thanksgiving. I'm tired of cooking. I feel guilty.

How'd that happen???

Were you consulted or were you elected in abstentia?

Daughter in law going in for major surgery. We usually do it over there. Not this year.
Where's a decent place to buy a pre cooked turkey that's decent and within a budget?
(11-14-2012, 10:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Where's a decent place to buy a pre cooked turkey that's decent and within a budget?

Does Fredy's in your area do one?
(11-14-2012, 11:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 10:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Where's a decent place to buy a pre cooked turkey that's decent and within a budget?

Does Fredy's in your area do one?

I'm sure they do. ARe you saying they would be decent?
(11-14-2012, 11:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm sure they do. ARe you saying they would be decent?

If they came without dressing, they would be indecent.
(11-14-2012, 11:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm sure they do. ARe you saying they would be decent?

I worked in the full service deli in Raley's in Caifornia.
We sold hundreds of them every holiday.
Knowing you, I would never recommend the side dishes. (but they aren't bad)
The turkey and the gravy, at least the ones from Raleys, were above decent.
So, yes, I would recommend Fred Meyer. I bought one of their brown sugar glazed hams for a potluck picnic and it was delicious. I mean, WAY above average.
I mean, IMO, as good as Honey Baked Ham.
I have had the Albertson's dinner before and it was good (a heat and serve that feed 4-6 people $50.00, but I saw freddies and it looks good also) . Can I make another suggestion. Use everything that you can throw away. Get cheap table coverings, use paper plates and paper cups. Make it as easy on you as possible. You are going to have a stressful next day.
Most if the bigger chains do a decent turkey,the side dishes included tend to be not so decent but there are some good frozen ones at TJ's and the deli usually. I'll second the paper plates, make it as easy on you as possible Smiling
Or get the turkey at the store and have everyone pot luck the side dishes.. But still use the paper plates. Also if you share the left overs tell everyone to bring their own containers so they can take them and you have to deal with very little. And if any one says anything tell them thank you so much for hosting it next year.
You could always schedule major surgery for yourself as well and pass the burden on to someone else.
Safeway over Freddy's and Albertson's. Smiling

We weren't going to even do T-Day this year, but got invited to 2 different houses to share dinner.
The one the kids and I picked should be pretty low stress and fun. Taking my special potatoes and a salad.
I've tried the pre cooked turkey. The side dishes were not that great and it seemed to take forever to heat up.
(11-15-2012, 08:25 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: I've tried the pre cooked turkey. The side dishes were not that great and it seemed to take forever to heat up.

That's what I was saying...the side dishes aren't great, but, usually, one can order just the turkey and some gravy. Smiling
http://www.fredmeyer.com/SiteCollectionD...Dinner.pdf

http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Entert...e_ET2.page?