Pet Dog Allegedly Shot by Angry Neighbor
(11-18-2012, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 01:07 PM)Smithcat Wrote: Shooting the dog is rather extreme under the conditions.
I am familiar with the frustration the shooter felt, but not to the point of shooting an offending dog (yet). I have witnessed dogs doing their business on our property; some alone and others accompanied by their "owners". In the cases of when their owner was present, I simply went outside and offered them a "doggie bag" so they could clean it up. If they refuse to pick it up, I do it myself and hand it to them. If they refuse to take it, I have been known to throw it at them (still in the bag, of course). I have even had to chase some of them down the block a bit to give them their gift, but they all got the point just the same. Since I am never out of the house unarmed (with a variety of devices, not always a firearm), I am not worried about escalation.
Why am I so vehemently aggressive at policing the "deposits"? Simple. Most pet dog owners do not take proper care of their pet dogs with regards to heartworm, vaccinations, parasites, or other health issues which will negatively effect my wifes guide dog by even accidentally coming into contact with these which are carried by untreated dogs and can be transferred in their feces. We cannot afford to have my wifes guide dog out of service simply because an irresponsible dog owner made the decision to not do what is right.
My wife carries with her, at all times, a roll of "doggie bags" which is secured to her guides harness. In the event her guide has to relieve, she removes the harness, potties her guide at the curb, puts the bag on her hand like a glove, scoops it up, and deposits it in the nearest trash can. It isn't THAT difficult to do. If a blind woman can do this, why can't the normally sighted do the same?

Interesting. I don't understand how the public and their dogs have access to your property that your dog apparently frequents. Are you talking about a subdivision, the grass out by the sidewalk?

And as far as all of these things that you say can negatively affect your dog by accidentally coming in to contact with feces?
So dog parks are no good? And when you take your dog anywhere you never let him/her off the leash? I've only been to a dog park a couple of times and I wondered about my dog catching something.

Yes, the grass is right next to the sidewalk. In our area, our lot and the empty lot next door are the only places which actually have a sidewalk in front of them, improvements made in 2005 when the house was built. The rest of the mile long street one has to walk either in the street or bike lane. And we are right across the street from a middle school.........with no sidewalks.There is an irrigation/drainage ditch 3 feet deep and 5 feet across in front of all the other houses (covered by the sidewalk in front of ours) so everyone elses lawn cannot be reached. Lucky us.

No, we have not ever gone to a dog park, and never will. Besides the disease and parasite factors, there is the real possibility of having her guide attacked and put out of service by an aggressive dog with an inattentive owner. Too much risk.

Her guide is never off leash outside the house unless in our fenced back yard.

Her guide has been attacked before, right on our own front porch, by an aggressive Bull Terrier being walked unleashed by its owner. My wife went out our front door while the guy was going by on the sidewalk, and BAM....as soon as she stepped out of the house the guys dog ran up and grabbed her guide by the throat. I planted some well placed kicks on the dogs ribcage and it disengaged. He was a bit upset that I kicked his dog (but not apparently upset that his dog ran onto OUR property and attacked my wifes guide) and wanted to call GP Public Safety, but when I explained that he could face assault charges and have his dog seized and destroyed for attacking or interfering with a service dog, he left. Quickly. Havent seen him since.
(11-18-2012, 01:44 PM)Smithcat Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 01:07 PM)Smithcat Wrote: Shooting the dog is rather extreme under the conditions.
I am familiar with the frustration the shooter felt, but not to the point of shooting an offending dog (yet). I have witnessed dogs doing their business on our property; some alone and others accompanied by their "owners". In the cases of when their owner was present, I simply went outside and offered them a "doggie bag" so they could clean it up. If they refuse to pick it up, I do it myself and hand it to them. If they refuse to take it, I have been known to throw it at them (still in the bag, of course). I have even had to chase some of them down the block a bit to give them their gift, but they all got the point just the same. Since I am never out of the house unarmed (with a variety of devices, not always a firearm), I am not worried about escalation.
Why am I so vehemently aggressive at policing the "deposits"? Simple. Most pet dog owners do not take proper care of their pet dogs with regards to heartworm, vaccinations, parasites, or other health issues which will negatively effect my wifes guide dog by even accidentally coming into contact with these which are carried by untreated dogs and can be transferred in their feces. We cannot afford to have my wifes guide dog out of service simply because an irresponsible dog owner made the decision to not do what is right.
My wife carries with her, at all times, a roll of "doggie bags" which is secured to her guides harness. In the event her guide has to relieve, she removes the harness, potties her guide at the curb, puts the bag on her hand like a glove, scoops it up, and deposits it in the nearest trash can. It isn't THAT difficult to do. If a blind woman can do this, why can't the normally sighted do the same?

Interesting. I don't understand how the public and their dogs have access to your property that your dog apparently frequents. Are you talking about a subdivision, the grass out by the sidewalk?

And as far as all of these things that you say can negatively affect your dog by accidentally coming in to contact with feces?
So dog parks are no good? And when you take your dog anywhere you never let him/her off the leash? I've only been to a dog park a couple of times and I wondered about my dog catching something.

Yes, the grass is right next to the sidewalk. In our area, our lot and the empty lot next door are the only places which actually have a sidewalk in front of them, improvements made in 2005 when the house was built. The rest of the mile long street one has to walk either in the street or bike lane. And we are right across the street from a middle school.........with no sidewalks.There is an irrigation/drainage ditch 3 feet deep and 5 feet across in front of all the other houses (covered by the sidewalk in front of ours) so everyone elses lawn cannot be reached. Lucky us.

No, we have not ever gone to a dog park, and never will. Besides the disease and parasite factors, there is the real possibility of having her guide attacked and put out of service by an aggressive dog with an inattentive owner. Too much risk.

Her guide is never off leash outside the house unless in our fenced back yard.

Her guide has been attacked before, right on our own front porch, by an aggressive Bull Terrier being walked unleashed by its owner. My wife went out our front door while the guy was going by on the sidewalk, and BAM....as soon as she stepped out of the house the guys dog ran up and grabbed her guide by the throat. I planted some well placed kicks on the dogs ribcage and it disengaged. He was a bit upset that I kicked his dog (but not apparently upset that his dog ran onto OUR property and attacked my wifes guide) and wanted to call GP Public Safety, but when I explained that he could face assault charges and have his dog seized and destroyed for attacking or interfering with a service dog, he left. Quickly. Havent seen him since.

Well it sounds like there are plenty other places other than your lawn for dogs to do their business.
You seemed overly cautious at first but I guess not since your dog is much more than just a pet.
I love my dog to death but I don't see the need to worry about her coming in to contact with other dogs feces. She does practically every day, she just smells it.

As far as the pitbull story I think those dogs are unfit to be pets and are all too often are owned by ignorant people just like the one you described.
Danny "LEE"? Who couldn't see it coming?
(11-18-2012, 12:23 PM)Larry Wrote:
Quote:tvguy Wrote: he's a fucking attention whore

(11-17-2012, 07:51 PM)Clone Wrote: You're a tiresome potty mouth.

Quote:Leonard Wrote: Only in America can a fucking General get a pass on fucking war crimes but lose his fucking job over fucking some woman of ill repute; what a fucking mass of dolts the American public has become.

But even these dolts don't deserve the fucking over they are getting from their government.........Leonard
Where is your chiding of the potty mouth on this one? Laughing

You brought in a quote from another thread??Unsure
(11-18-2012, 04:23 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Quote:Leonard Wrote: Only in America can a fucking General get a pass on fucking war crimes but lose his fucking job over fucking some woman of ill repute; what a fucking mass of dolts the American public has become.

But even these dolts don't deserve the fucking over they are getting from their government.........Leonard

Does that change the point he made?
(11-18-2012, 07:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 04:23 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Does that change the point he made?

It really pisses me off when some potty mouth son of a bitch keep shitting all over the forum to make a point. What the Fuck? Just more assholes tying to piss on the parade. I say fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads. there just ain't no call for that kind of low life kind of shit.
(11-18-2012, 08:16 PM)Wonky Wrote: It really pisses me off when some potty mouth son of a bitch keep shitting all over the forum to make a point. What the Fuck? Just more assholes tying to piss on the parade. I say fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads. there just ain't no call for that kind of low life kind of shit.

Wag MORE Bark LESS
(11-18-2012, 08:27 PM)Clone Wrote:
(11-18-2012, 08:16 PM)Wonky Wrote: It really pisses me off when some potty mouth son of a bitch keep shitting all over the forum to make a point. What the Fuck? Just more assholes tying to piss on the parade. I say fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads. there just ain't no call for that kind of low life kind of shit.

Wag MORE Bark LESS

Yea. Just thought a little irony (satire?) Might be in order. Someone will bring that up latter proving this is typical of my posts.
For those I offended, please accept my sincere apologizes.