Bully Rights
That's a strange question, philosophically speaking. Any war can be prevented if one side is acquiescent and or peace negotiations are successful. Could World War 2 have been prevented?

I have learned plenty about the Bosnian War. I have also learned that there is always going to be opinions that differ from those that are generally accepted as historical fact. Just like some people can not be convinced that the 9/11 terrorist attack was not partly an inside job. Some people always see the secret ulterior motives of the US government in any action they take or support. In fact, they hunt for them and find the point of the view they want to hold. Nothing new there.

Leonard, here is my question for you: Has the US been involved in any justified military conflicts since the Civil War
Forget it Cletus and Tealeaf. These people won't change their made minds. The USA is an evil and despicable country in their minds regardless what you bring up.

Just listen to them. They continually ask ( throw bait) for someone to mention the positive things about our country.
But see what happens when anyone does?
(11-27-2012, 09:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote: That's a strange question, philosophically speaking. Any war can be prevented if one side is acquiescent and or peace negotiations are successful. Could World War 2 have been prevented?

I have learned plenty about the Bosnian War. I have also learned that there is always going to be opinions that differ from those that are generally accepted as historical fact. Just like some people can not be convinced that the 9/11 terrorist attack was not partly an inside job. Some people always see the secret ulterior motives of the US government in any action they take or support. In fact, they hunt for them and find the point of the view they want to hold. Nothing new there.

Leonard, here is my question for you: Has the US been involved in any justified military conflicts since the Civil War
Considering most could have been avoided and the others were for territory or political control;

Spanish-American War (1898),
Philippine-American War (1899–1902)
Banana Wars (1898–1935)
Moro Rebellion (1899–1913)
Mexico (1910–1919)
World War I (1917–1918)
Russian Revolution; the so-called Polar Bear Expedition was the involvement of U.S. troops, during the Russian Revolution, in blocking the Bolsheviks in Arkhangelsk, Russia in 1918 and 1919.
World War II (1941–1945)
Cold War era (1945–1991)
Korean War (1950–1953)
Lebanon crisis of 1958
Dominican Intervention
Vietnam War (1964–1975)
Grenada (1983)
Beirut (1983)
Persian Gulf War (1990–1991)
Somalia
Haiti
Yugoslavia
War on Terrorism (2001–present)
Afghanistan
Philippines 2002
Iraq
Libyan intervention

Now you tell me. With most, if not all these could have been prevented by diplomacy, Hitler could have been stopped in the beginning and was shocked that he wasn't.

But when the US spends half if its GDP on the war Machine and you have the stated agenda of the US government of a Pax Americana one does have to take a second as to the motives of most wars.
(11-27-2012, 10:09 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(11-27-2012, 09:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote: That's a strange question, philosophically speaking. Any war can be prevented if one side is acquiescent and or peace negotiations are successful. Could World War 2 have been prevented?

Considering most could have been avoided and the others were for territory or political control;

Banana Wars (1898–1935)
Mexico (1910–1919)
World War I (1917–1918)
Russian Revolution; the so-called Polar Bear Expedition was the involvement of U.S. troops, during the Russian Revolution, in blocking the Bolsheviks in Arkhangelsk, Russia in 1918 and 1919.
World War II (1941–1945)
Cold War era (1945–1991)
Korean War (1950–1953)
Lebanon crisis of 1958
Dominican Intervention
Vietnam War (1964–1975)
Grenada (1983)
Beirut (1983)
Somalia
Haiti
Yugoslavia
Afghanistan
Philippines 2002
Iraq
Libyan intervention

Now you tell me. With most, if not all these could have been prevented by diplomacy, Hitler could have been stopped in the beginning and was shocked that he wasn't.

But when the US spends half if its GDP on the war Machine and you have the stated agenda of the US government of a Pax Americana one does have to take a second as to the motives of most wars.
I gave this post a day and here is my response. When did I ever say that most conflicts could not be avoided by diplomacy? No where. What I said was that some conflicts are morally justifiable because they save lives, period. For example: In a situation where diplomacy fails and taking military action would prevent genocide. Can we more tightly focus, because I am not inclined to argue a point I never tried to make.

I think the defense budget could be cut by a couple hundred billion and the US would still have enough military capability to meddle in most other countries affairs. The distinction I was attempting to make, is that if there is a type of pacifism that allows genocide and does nothing to prevent it, it is not a liberal value IMO..
OK, OK, we'll grant you your miniscule point, in a world of rampant warfare. Smiling
(11-28-2012, 11:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Banana Wars (1898–1935)
Mexico (1910–1919)
World War I (1917–1918)
World War II (1941–1945)
Cold War era (1945–1991)
Korean War (1950–1953)
Lebanon crisis of 1958
Dominican Intervention
Vietnam War (1964–1975)
Grenada (1983)
Beirut (1983)
Somalia
Haiti
Yugoslavia
Afghanistan
Philippines 2002
Iraq
Libyan intervention

I gave this post a day and here is my response. When did I ever say that most conflicts could not be avoided by diplomacy? No where. What I said was that some conflicts are morally justifiable because they save lives, period. For example: In a situation where diplomacy fails and taking military action would prevent genocide. Can we more tightly focus, because I am not inclined to argue a point I never tried to make.

I think the defense budget could be cut by a couple hundred billion and the US would still have enough military capability to meddle in most other countries affairs. The distinction I was attempting to make, is that if there is a type of pacifism that allows genocide and does nothing to prevent it, it is not a liberal value IMO..

You asked the question;
Leonard, here is my question for you: Has the US been involved in any justified military conflicts since the Civil War?

and my response was;
''Considering most could have been avoided and the others were for territory or political control'' my answer would be no.

"Now you tell me. With most, if not all these could have been prevented by diplomacy, Hitler could have been stopped in the beginning and was shocked that he wasn't.

But when the US spends half if its GDP on the war Machine and you have the stated agenda of the US government of a Pax Americana one does have to take a second as to the motives of most wars."
(11-28-2012, 11:54 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(11-28-2012, 11:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Banana Wars (1898–1935)
Mexico (1910–1919)
World War I (1917–1918)
World War II (1941–1945)
Cold War era (1945–1991)
Korean War (1950–1953)
Lebanon crisis of 1958
Dominican Intervention
Vietnam War (1964–1975)
Grenada (1983)
Beirut (1983)
Somalia
Haiti
Yugoslavia
Afghanistan
Philippines 2002
Iraq
Libyan intervention

You asked the question;
Leonard, here is my question for you: Has the US been involved in any justified military conflicts since the Civil War?

and my response was;
''Considering most could have been avoided and the others were for territory or political control'' my answer would be no.

"Now you tell me. With most, if not all these could have been prevented by diplomacy, Hitler could have been stopped in the beginning and was shocked that he wasn't.

But when the US spends half if its GDP on the war Machine and you have the stated agenda of the US government of a Pax Americana one does have to take a second as to the motives of most wars."
OK, I got it. The answer is an unequivocal NO. That explains the vast majority of your posts. Thanks.