Pet Peeves
(12-02-2012, 03:02 PM)csrowan Wrote: Well, people who drive hummers around town or giant pickup trucks with no load in the bed are a pet peeve of mine.

And have fat little kids that they chauffeur to and from school in their 300 horsepower Chevy subdivision Razz
(12-02-2012, 02:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: or at least one that the only danger is to yourself.

When some bicycle rider is is on some mountain road how is that danger to anyone other than himself?

I'm glad you asked. My natural reaction will be to swerve... either into oncoming traffic or into the woods, or even maybe off a cliff. Even if I choose to plow through the bike rider and kill him... it would still cause other people, INCLUDING ME, serious damage.
(12-02-2012, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-24-2012, 07:09 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Have we done this here before?

Here is a partial list of mine:

Bicycle riders that don't use the available bike lane.

Crosswalk laws, (peds should have to wait until it is safe or find a crossing with a light).

Bicycle riders that use winding rural roads with no shoulders.

Text messages, (texting should only be used when a phone call is impractical).

Bicycle riders that travel two-abreast

Little squares of toilet paper that many public rest rooms have

Bicycle riders

Harleys with loud pipes

People that ride bicycles

WOW GCG, I had not read this when I posted. Bike riders are a pet peeve? People that ride bicycles? sheesh, that's like saying people who drive cars or trucks are a pet peeve.

As I explained to Tia... I was being a bit rhetorical with that stuff. You ARE familiar with doing that, no?
(12-01-2012, 11:54 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Bicycle riders and old people should have to drive on their own set of roads at the same time, narrow, two lane roads with lines half the normal width. The rest of us get the normal roads.

Great! Will you get on that please? I need my road!
I ride and I drive. I live on a major cycling country road and often encounter many cyclists on the way to work. I only once felt the need to toot my horn at them for being in the car lane. Well, twice, but it was the same day and I was driving the van so I hope they got the message loud and clear.
The fog lights still peeve me more.
(12-02-2012, 04:17 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I ride and I drive. I live on a major cycling country road and often encounter many cyclists on the way to work. I only once felt the need to toot my horn at them for being in the car lane. Well, twice, but it was the same day and I was driving the van so I hope they got the message loud and clear.

Fog lights: If fog lights blind you then they are not adjusted properly. They are supposed to be aimed toward the ground just far enough ahead to see the road lines in dense fog. Anything higher than that just lights up the fog and makes visibility even worse. In other words, fog lights that blind oncoming drivers are useless... even in the fog.

Tip: The savvy driver does not aim a fog light toward the fog line... then he can honestly claim that he didn't see that bike rider that he just ran over.
(11-24-2012, 07:09 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Have we done this here before?

Here is a partial list of mine:

Bicycle riders that don't use the available bike lane.

Crosswalk laws, (peds should have to wait until it is safe or find a crossing with a light).

Bicycle riders that use winding rural roads with no shoulders.

Text messages, (texting should only be used when a phone call is impractical).

Bicycle riders that travel two-abreast

Little squares of toilet paper that many public rest rooms have

Bicycle riders

Harleys with loud pipes

People that ride bicycles

Maybe this should be the asshole quiz.
(12-02-2012, 04:09 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 02:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: or at least one that the only danger is to yourself.

When some bicycle rider is is on some mountain road how is that danger to anyone other than himself?

I'm glad you asked. My natural reaction will be to swerve... either into oncoming traffic or into the woods, or even maybe off a cliff. Even if I choose to plow through the bike rider and kill him... it would still cause other people, INCLUDING ME, serious damage.

I actually forgot for a moment that you drive a log truck, I think you still do anyway.
So let me ask you this, Is it to your advantage to get a load drop it off and get back as fast as you can?
If so, I'm thinking THAT might be the biggest problem. Having said that I'm quite sure you have indeed seen more than your fair share of dumbass bike riders.
(12-02-2012, 04:24 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 04:17 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I ride and I drive. I live on a major cycling country road and often encounter many cyclists on the way to work. I only once felt the need to toot my horn at them for being in the car lane. Well, twice, but it was the same day and I was driving the van so I hope they got the message loud and clear.

Fog lights: If fog lights blind you then they are not adjusted properly. They are supposed to be aimed toward the ground just far enough ahead to see the road lines in dense fog. Anything higher than that just lights up the fog and makes visibility even worse. In other words, fog lights that blind oncoming drivers are useless... even in the fog.

Tip: The savvy driver does not aim a fog light toward the fog line... then he can honestly claim that he didn't see that bike rider that he just ran over.

People with their lights not properly adjusted is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I think that a lot of the time the idiots changed the light their self and messed with the wrong screws.

OH and loud motorcycles, I mean extremely loud.. why the hell don't the cops pull them over??
(12-02-2012, 05:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I actually forgot for a moment that you drive a log truck, I think you still do anyway.
So let me ask you this, Is it to your advantage to get a load drop it off and get back as fast as you can?
If so, I'm thinking THAT might be the biggest problem. Having said that I'm quite sure you have indeed seen more than your fair share of dumbass bike riders.

When I hauled logs regularly, (I still do from time to time), I was paid by the hour.

For the sake of this argument, slowing down enough to PLAN on the possibility of there being a bicycle rider around any corner, would mean going VERY slow. Far too slow. Seriously, should everyone have to drive 35 MPH all over the narrow rural roads simply because their might be a bicycle out there?

It would different if the bicycles needed those routes to get to work or to school or whatever. But they don't. They are out there for the fun, or sport of it.

To be clear, I am not talking about driving between the Rogue Valley and Williams. I am talking about driving on some very remote roads. You would be AMAZED at where some of these bicycle enthusiasts dare to ride.
[Image: 9659_531173280240849_814628656_n.jpg]

This is my pet peeve....don't stand in line for five minutes and then be surprised you need to pay and then take another five minutes going through your wallet trying to find enough cash or the right card.

This goes for drive thru restuarants. Hello, have you never been to McDonald's before. Not only do you not know what you want when they ask for your order, you have to check with every passenger in your car and ask them what they want as well.

Also, two cars pacing each other on the road. Usually under the speed limit. Get the hell over!!!!!

Oh and going under the speed limit because you are driving around a cop. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PASS IF HE ISN'T DOING THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!

Crap.....I think I need a drink now....
(12-02-2012, 05:27 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

When I hauled logs regularly, (I still do from time to time), I was paid by the hour.

For the sake of this argument, slowing down enough to PLAN on the possibility of there being a bicycle rider around any corner, would mean going VERY slow. Far too slow. Seriously, should everyone have to drive 35 MPH all over the narrow rural roads simply because their might be a bicycle out there?

It would different if the bicycles needed those routes to get to work or to school or whatever. But they don't. They are out there for the fun, or sport of it.

To be clear, I am not talking about driving between the Rogue Valley and Williams. I am talking about driving on some very remote roads. You would be AMAZED at where some of these bicycle enthusiasts dare to ride.

Well if log truck drivers are paid by the hour then I wonder what the fuck is wrong with some of them.Back when I worked in the woods every day I wish I had a nickle for every one who damn near or actually did run me off the road.

Or the linnegar truck driver who passed me on Kirtland, inches from me, nearly killing me and refused for whatever reason to move over at all.
I've had bad encounters with truckers driving across the country too often also.
So no offense but I'll take truck drivers over bicycle riders all day long as far as who are more often assholes.
(12-02-2012, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 05:27 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

Well if log truck drivers are paid by the hour then I wonder what the fuck is wrong with some of them.Back when I worked in the woods every day I wish I had a nickle for every one who damn near or actually did run me off the road.

Or the linnegar truck driver who passed me on Kirtland, inches from me, nearly killing me and refused for whatever reason to move over at all.
I've had bad encounters with truckers driving across the country too often also.
So no offense but I'll take truck drivers over bicycle riders all day long as far as who are more often assholes.

Back in the day, log truck drivers were paid by percentage of the board foot. Some still are. I refuse to haul that way.
(12-02-2012, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: So no offense but I'll take truck drivers over bicycle riders all day long as far as who are more often assholes.

I don't deny that many truckers are assholes. You may prefer bicycle riders to truckers but if you could eliminate one or the other from the roadways... which would you choose?
(12-02-2012, 07:20 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 07:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: So no offense but I'll take truck drivers over bicycle riders all day long as far as who are more often assholes.

I don't deny that many truckers are assholes. You may prefer bicycle riders to truckers but if you could eliminate one or the other from the roadways... which would you choose?

What do you mean "IF" I could ?Wink , Actually I can't answer that, my brains is
llllll locking upuuup
(12-02-2012, 04:24 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

Ok, could you tell them that? Because it seems like they think it is some sort of status symbol. But, in reality it is highly annoying and IMO pose a safety hazard.
(12-02-2012, 07:20 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

Well I've ran them both off the road. Where bikers are a lot less damaging to your car, they're not as thrilling as running trucks off the road.
Car doors that lock themselves. If I want to lock the door, I will do it myself, tyvm.
Places that have those automatic paper towel dispensers with the infrared beam. They almost always have them set at the shortest possible length so that you have to wave your wet hand in front of it 3 or 4 times in order to get enough to dry your hands. Oh, and automatic flush toilets that act like a bidet because they decide to flush while you're still on the stupid thing.
You must spend a lot of time in public toilets. Smiling