Anybody catch this?
(11-25-2012, 07:01 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I agree chuck. There are people that pretend that their dogs are service dogs when the dog is not. The owner is most often a woman with a small dog. I have heard these dogs referred to as companion dogs. I suppose because they gave comfort for the neurotic old bitches who own them. It is my understanding that these dogs are not service animals, so they should not be allowed in places that don’t allow dogs.

I can’t comment on the Growers Market incident other than to say that it is not at all clear what service that woman’s dog is performing and I see no problem with the Growers Market trying to enforce their rules. I think the law that allows service dogs should be amended to require certification of service animals.

I think I agree with cletus on this. It's pretty hard to be "anti-dog" but it seems as if people are showing up everywhere with their little mongrels. Am I mistaken or does the new law that Eric Holder signed appear to do nothing more than blur the lines between a "real" service animal and a pet?

This line, copied from above, seems to make it pretty easy to abuse the true nature of the law:

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

As always, this is going to be a case of the abusers making the world a more miserable place for those truly in need. I'm not saying which category the woman in the video falls under.
(11-25-2012, 07:17 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 07:01 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I agree chuck. There are people that pretend that their dogs are service dogs when the dog is not. The owner is most often a woman with a small dog. I have heard these dogs referred to as companion dogs. I suppose because they gave comfort for the neurotic old bitches who own them. It is my understanding that these dogs are not service animals, so they should not be allowed in places that don’t allow dogs.

I can’t comment on the Growers Market incident other than to say that it is not at all clear what service that woman’s dog is performing and I see no problem with the Growers Market trying to enforce their rules. I think the law that allows service dogs should be amended to require certification of service animals.

I think I agree with cletus on this. It's pretty hard to be "anti-dog" but it seems as if people are showing up everywhere with their little mongrels. Am I mistaken or does the new law that Eric Holder signed appear to do nothing more than blur the lines between a "real" service animal and a pet?

This line, copied from above, seems to make it pretty easy to abuse the true nature of the law:

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

As always, this is going to be a case of the abusers making the world a more miserable place for those truly in need. I'm not saying which category the woman in the video falls under.
I can understand why a person can not ask what the animal does for the disabled person due to medical privacy rules. I would however like to see a qualifying list of conditions that warrant the use of a service animal. If the truth be know I'm tired of seeing those little rat dogs in places they are not normally allowed. And I love dogs.
You sound like you need a therapy dog. Smiling
Making the dogs have paper work that shows they are a legitimate service dog does not invade medical privacy.
If you want to park in a handicap parking space, you have to have paper work (hanging sign) that shows that you are a legitimate handicap person. Is that a invasion of medical privacy?
On second thought, they should do away with that and just take my word for it when I park there. (or ask my service chicken)
I don't mind well behaved dogs in stores or restaurants. In Europe and Asia people feel the same and take their dogs everywhere and no one seems upset.

And they don't kennel their dogs on the top of cars, they would be arrested for animal cruelty.
Maybe dog like roof of car better than roof of mouth?
(11-25-2012, 09:37 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You sound like you need a therapy dog. Smiling

I need a dog, that's for sure, but I'm beyond therapy. Have you considered that if most of those dogs that you see are really service dogs, then women have disabilities at an alarming disproportional level to men. Rolling Eyes
(11-25-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I need a dog, that's for sure, but I'm beyond therapy. Have you considered that if most of those dogs that you see are really service dogs, then women have disabilities at an alarming disproportional level to men. Rolling Eyes

Or men are less willing to show any sign of weakness in public.
(11-25-2012, 10:39 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I need a dog, that's for sure, but I'm beyond therapy. Have you considered that if most of those dogs that you see are really service dogs, then women have disabilities at an alarming disproportional level to men. Rolling Eyes

Should I take your response to indicate that you think most of those dogs are service animals?

Lets consider what disabilities would require an animal. I found these conditions listed at a site that advocates for service dogs: Blindness, deafness, epilepsy, paraplegia and quadriplegia, autism, and other psychiatric disorders. There it is, the "other," the catch all, depression, anxiety and so on. Well, here is my solution for those women who are self diagnosing their condition and feel they need to have their "service dog" dog with them in places they are not normally allowed. Please consider that not everyone loves your little pooch and some of us suffer from a type of PTSD that causes acute extreme uncontrollable anger triggered by rat dogs seen in purses at stores. Laughing
(11-25-2012, 11:07 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 10:39 AM)csrowan Wrote:

Should I take your response to indicate that you think most of those dogs are service animals?

Lets consider what disabilities would require an animal. I found these conditions listed at a site that advocates for service dogs: Blindness, deafness, epilepsy, paraplegia and quadriplegia, autism, and other psychiatric disorders. There it is, the "other," the catch all, depression, anxiety and so on. Well, here is my solution for those women who are self diagnosing their condition and feel they need to have their "service dog" dog with them in places they are not normally allowed. Please consider that not everyone loves your little pooch and some of us suffer from a type of PTSD that causes acute extreme uncontrollable anger triggered by rat dogs seen in purses at stores. Laughing

You should take my response at face value. I merely offered a logical alternative to your explanation. I expressed no opinion on the matter.
I think everybody would benefit from having a therapy dog. My dog is never far from me, and if he's not with me he's in the pickup waiting. Happily, patiently, dutifully.
http://www.sanger.dk/ (just a little fun, tangentially related)
What you need is a dog whistle. You could have lots of fun with rat dogs in peoples purses.
Don't they have to be trained to do something when they hear that sound? I didn't know the sound alone was considered annoying to them.

(However, I've also read of places playing annoying noises at a frequency teenagers can supposedly hear but we lose as we age, too.)
I thought it annoyed them. Don't have a dog whistle to test this out.
My dog gets upset with bells.
My dog only becomes upset with people he doesn't like.
(11-25-2012, 11:42 AM)chuck white Wrote: I thought it annoyed them. Don't have a dog whistle to test this out.
My dog gets upset with bells.

This site does; bring the dog in and let the test begin. The test starts near the end.

My dog didn't react.
(11-25-2012, 11:54 AM)PonderThis Wrote: My dog didn't react.

The microphone on the camera and your computer's speakers would both have to be able to record/play the frequencies that make dogs react.
My dogs started licking their asses. I started humping the neighbor's leg.